Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlights always on / warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:09 PM
VX1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlights always on / warranty question

I was able to get my hands on the most beautiful exotic ever made, a 2005 XKR in midnight; 29K miles and pristine condition. I've had it for a month and everything works well, except for one oddity that I don't see ever have been mentioned in an XKR forum before: the headlights (standard xenons) are always on when the car's on. Now before you think Canadian daytime running lights, ALL the lights, the front, side and rears are on when the ignition is turned on and the light switch is OFF. There is no difference between having the light switch OFF, ON, or AUTO. The parking lights setting works as it should, the main headlights go out, but the rest of the lights stay on.

I'll be taking her in for the 30K TLC soon, and just want to make sure there's not something I'm missing there. I assume it's a little gremlin that I need to have them look at (along with the common moisture in the headlights prob).

I don't specifically see in the service schedule that they rotate the tires. I know there's no rotating front to back, but should they rotate the fronts with each other and the same for the back?

Another question on duration of warranty: As I have other cars and this one will spend a great deal of time protected in the garage, it will be a good year and a half beforeI hitthe next service interval at 40K, but I've only got seven months before itis atits four year in-service mark. From what I read in my "Passport to Service", it seems as though the 40K service is free, even if the car is older than four years. True?

2005 Model Year Jaguar vehicles
registered in the U.S.A (U.S.A.
specification only) and Puerto Rico
include the first four scheduled
maintenance services (10,000, 20,000,
30,000 and 40,000 miles). If the
maintenance service is performed by an
authorized Jaguar retailer, there is no
charge to the owner.

That's pretty cool... I know it's there in black in white, but just looking for confirmation that I'm reading that right.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:34 PM
Received 84 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Headlights always on / warranty question

The service interval is every 10k or 1 year, whichever comes first. If you are only 4 months from 4 years, regardless of being below 40k, you need to get it done or you lose it.

PM your last 6 of VIN and I will look up your car for you, see if it has any recalls or things outstanding.

The rotation - your car may have directional tires on it. I wouldn't suggest rotating them. Just make sure the alignment stays good and tire pressures are right and you will be ok for many miles. Bear in mind, the XK does like to eat up tires. Expect about 25-30k out of a set if you are frugal with the rubber you leave on the road. If you are going to garage it for the winter etc. overinflate the tires while parked. Set them back when you are ready to drive.

The lighting issue. The fact that it goes off in the side light position kind of says that the turn signal switch is probably bad. They will replace it under warranty if you bring it up when you go in there. Daytime running lights wouldnt change in the side light position. Some cars can be set to have Scandinavian running lights which will keep all the lights on at the same time.

Hope this helps.