XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Front Windscreen - can it be retro fitted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 10:53 AM
Received 46 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Heated Front Windscreen - can it be retro fitted?

Hi All - Here's a question for you and any help or advice would be gratefully received.

Last year, I had a new front windscreen fitted to my 2003 XK8 4.2 due to a large crack in my old one. Unfortunately, the windscreen fitting company had only one in stock that day which was a heated one (mine was unheated). As I would have had to wait a few days for them to get one and mine needed changing urgently, I agreed for them to fit the heated one...leaving the connector wires attached but tucked away.

So my question is, can this heated screen be attached and used, and it so, what would I need to achieve this? ie. connectors, relays, switches, etc.?

If not, then no worries, it will just have to stay as it is. Thank you in advance.

Andrew

Old 02-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Veteran Member
Received 462 Likes on 333 Posts

You would need to have a look at the electrical guide for your car and see how the heated windshield is wired up. I would think at least a couple of relays and remember this will all be controlled by the computer - not a simple switch directly switching the relays.

Have you got the "def" button on your centre console? IIRC when you press this it turns the heated windscreen on and blows hot air at the screen - but its years since I've pressed mine.

The following users liked this post:
andyzeg (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by dibbit
You would need to have a look at the electrical guide for your car and see how the heated windshield is wired up. I would think at least a couple of relays and remember this will all be controlled by the computer - not a simple switch directly switching the relays.

Have you got the "def" button on your centre console? IIRC when you press this it turns the heated windscreen on and blows hot air at the screen - but its years since I've pressed mine.
Thanks dibbit - yes it does have the def button. I'm not surprised you haven't used it in years in Spain..Lol! Whereas Inverness, Scotland is a whole different ball game

Old 02-12-2018, 01:24 PM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

I've been glad of the heated windscreen in my XK this last week. I also had one factory fitted in my 2005 XK8.

I think I recall correctly that the XK8 factory fit is switched on the console but is also setup to come on automatically and time out (the XK certainly is) which will be controlled through the ACC Module. This could get complicated to retrofit but no reason why you can't connect it as an independent switched feed only. I had one fitted like this in my XJ6 Series One in the early 1970's when the heated laminated screens were being developed. Definitely needs to go through a relay - it's taking a lot of power.

Graham

andyzeg (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:43 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Andy, be sure to let us know how it goes if you do it.

John

andyzeg (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Heated screen has two separate elements. Think it was only fitted as standard for the Canadian market. You might be lucky and find the wiring is in place- is there a pair of empty relay sockets by the starter relay?

AFAIK these are drive side agnostic:

Attached Thumbnails Heated Front Windscreen - can it be retro fitted?-capture.jpg  
andyzeg (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 02:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

All the heated laminated front screens from Pilkington (and formerly Triplex) have separate left and right elements.

When I had the test screen fitted in my XJ6, I had them wired and switched separately so I could run LH, RH or both. Jaguar have them through separate relays but then together on a single switch so this is not an option with the factory fit. It's either ON or OFF.

Graham

andyzeg (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
All the heated laminated front screens from Pilkington (and formerly Triplex) have separate left and right elements.

When I had the test screen fitted in my XJ6, I had them wired and switched separately so I could run LH, RH or both. Jaguar have them through separate relays but then together on a single switch so this is not an option with the factory fit. It's either ON or OFF.

Graham
I bet on our cars the computer gives the engine a bit more gas when the heated screen is on, so the revs don't drop under the extra load. Its probably a configurable option somewhere in WDS.

andyzeg (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 08:47 AM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I bet on our cars the computer gives the engine a bit more gas when the heated screen is on, so the revs don't drop under the extra load. Its probably a configurable option somewhere in WDS.
not on S-types, at least.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
not on S-types, at least.
Wrong forum.

Have a look at page 14 of this training guide - the page is specifically for the X103/105, but I think its the same for mine (previous year).

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Intr...0TECH_2005.pdf

Last edited by dibbit; 02-13-2018 at 11:11 AM.
andyzeg (02-13-2018)
Old 02-13-2018, 05:46 PM
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Wrong forum.

Have a look at page 14 of this training guide - the page is specifically for the X103/105, but I think its the same for mine (previous year).

http://www.jagrepair.com/images/Intr...0TECH_2005.pdf
And I'm referring to the 1999-2008 S-type X200. No idle bump for front or rear heated screen or AC was my point in posting.

Old 02-14-2018, 01:32 PM
Received 111 Likes on 72 Posts

Short Answer is yes.

I took a set of relays and connector for the heater screen from a scrapped XJ.

Power for the heationg elements - via the relays is run from the Engine bay fuse box, I added the wires and fuses. Local earths points are also used.

To switch the relays take an ignition power from a nearby relay. The Earth is the control signal which needs to be routed from the body processer modul in the cabin.

The following 2 users liked this post by smoggyx100:
andyzeg (02-14-2018), michaelh (02-14-2018)
Old 02-14-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
Short Answer is yes.

I took a set of relays and connector for the heater screen from a scrapped XJ.

Power for the heationg elements - via the relays is run from the Engine bay fuse box, I added the wires and fuses. Local earths points are also used.

To switch the relays take an ignition power from a nearby relay. The Earth is the control signal which needs to be routed from the body processer modul in the cabin.
That sounds great! However, and if it's not too much trouble...would you be able to go into a little more detail so that I can follow your instructions. I am usually quite capable with mechanicals...but something more "step by step" would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Old 02-16-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by andyzeg
That sounds great! However, and if it's not too much trouble...would you be able to go into a little more detail so that I can follow your instructions. I am usually quite capable with mechanicals...but something more "step by step" would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
The following thread was as I did the work and should work.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dshield-58222/

However the instructions from WhiteXKR (AKA the Jag Wrangler) for the instillation of the real gauge kit include a better way to run a control cable from the cabin to the engine bay than my Via the door method. (Which was also copied off WhiteXKR from his auto roof instructions)

RealGauge Installation - TheJagWrangler

Also I ran the cables across the engine bay by putting them under the shot panel. Which you need to remove to connect to the heated screeen anyway.

Hope That Helps.

andyzeg (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:18 PM

Many thanks smoggyx100 ...I will study this over the weekend...much appreciated.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I have a heated front windscreen in the front of my car. To be honest I really do not think its worth it.

When they say "heated front windscreen" you think its going to be just like the rear one. Its not. I put my rear on and you can see it working straight away but the front one is much more subtle than that. It only seems to gently heat the front screen.

If you stand at the front of the car looking towards the rear on the left side of the engine bay you have the corner compartment, the one covered by a plastic cover with a hole in it? If you take that off inside against the wing you will see a black plastic box. Just pull that off. Inside there will be just one relay towards the front of the car. Along side that are two slots for two more relays. Those are for the left and right sides of the heated windscreen.

andyzeg (02-16-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 11:31 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by frankc
I have a heated front windscreen in the front of my car. To be honest I really do not think its worth it.

When they say "heated front windscreen" you think its going to be just like the rear one. Its not. I put my rear on and you can see it working straight away but the front one is much more subtle than that. It only seems to gently heat the front screen.

If you stand at the front of the car looking towards the rear on the left side of the engine bay you have the corner compartment, the one covered by a plastic cover with a hole in it? If you take that off inside against the wing you will see a black plastic box. Just pull that off. Inside there will be just one relay towards the front of the car. Along side that are two slots for two more relays. Those are for the left and right sides of the heated windscreen.
I have to say that mine works faster than the rear one and I would not be withoutit. But its all a matter of personal perspective/ priorities.

frankc (02-17-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by smoggyx100
I have to say that mine works faster than the rear one and I would not be withoutit. But its all a matter of personal perspective/ priorities.
That's interesting. Perhaps mine has a fault then. I was disappointed with the performance of the front screen compared with the rear and I was told on a forum it was normal. But your saying its quicker?

Do you mean quicker defrosting or quicker clearing 'fogging' from glass when you first get in? I usually use the fan to demist. Now that is quick.

Old 02-18-2018, 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by frankc
That's interesting. Perhaps mine has a fault then. I was disappointed with the performance of the front screen compared with the rear and I was told on a forum it was normal. But your saying its quicker?

Do you mean quicker defrosting or quicker clearing 'fogging' from glass when you first get in? I usually use the fan to demist. Now that is quick.
When I turn on the fan and front heated screen on a frosty morning it clears the front window quicker than the rear. It also makes a difference doing the same with the condensation once the frost is scaped away.

Rear normally needs a few miles to clear condensation on an icy morning.

Old 02-18-2018, 08:37 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Hi Andrew,

this thread may be of some additional help for some more info...

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...dscreen-65098/

my Quartz XKR has an extra button on console and was standard equip on Canadian cars, but to find the right part may be a bit of a hunt... Im suprised that its was not standard equip in Scotland given the weather can "brisk".
Mine works quick to clear the glass of frost, when my wife and I went to the movies and came out to a frozen windscreen.

Cheers,
Andy

andyzeg (02-19-2018)

Quick Reply: Heated Front Windscreen - can it be retro fitted?