Help with roof/rear windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 01:37 PM
dx3
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Help with roof/rear windows

Gentlemen,

I will do my best not to but here goes.

When I first bought my 97 XK8 the convertible top was up, as were the rear windows. I put the top down immediately and haven't worried about it since. I had the day off so decided to bring the car in and get it washed. I get there and go to put the top up. About 1/4 way through the "up" process it gives up... whether by lack of power or something else I don't know. So, I break out the trusty manual and follow the steps to manually put the top up. I get the top up but the rear windows haven't moved. Again, following the manual i quickly press the up switch on the top to get them up, it beeps, but nothing happens. So I sit there in 95 degree heat playing with the top, and leave unsuccessfully with a dirty car. My trusty ******* is 2 blocks away, and as to be expected won't give me the time of day to help me without me "dropping" it off. It's a cheap car, I don't want to drop $1500 on this.

Basically, at this stage I'd settle with getting the rear windows up and having them stay up. I just wanna wash the car and at this point short of duct taping the rear windows I can't do it.

HELP!!

Other notes: The roof will go down under its own power, although near the end of the down process it kinda just "drops". Front windows will slightly move whenever I try to go either way. I have to use allen key to latch the roof in place, so i know it's locked in and would thus expect the rear windows to work...

Name:  125ecd2a.jpg
Views: 482
Size:  53.2 KB

Does it look like I have sufficient fluid?
Also, where exactly are the "rams" I should push to lock everything in place? I read about the procedure on Gus's site but I am not sure what these rams are?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide...

Last edited by dx3; 06-04-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 02:37 PM
Received 6,242 Likes on 5,443 Posts

You'll find the window raise answer in post #2 here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-closed-71304/

Old 06-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by dx3
Gentlemen,

I will do my best not to but here goes.

When I first bought my 97 XK8 the convertible top was up, as were the rear windows. I put the top down immediately and haven't worried about it since. I had the day off so decided to bring the car in and get it washed. I get there and go to put the top up. About 1/4 way through the "up" process it gives up... whether by lack of power or something else I don't know. So, I break out the trusty manual and follow the steps to manually put the top up. I get the top up but the rear windows haven't moved. Again, following the manual i quickly press the up switch on the top to get them up, it beeps, but nothing happens. So I sit there in 95 degree heat playing with the top, and leave unsuccessfully with a dirty car. My trusty ******* is 2 blocks away, and as to be expected won't give me the time of day to help me without me "dropping" it off. It's a cheap car, I don't want to drop $1500 on this.

Basically, at this stage I'd settle with getting the rear windows up and having them stay up. I just wanna wash the car and at this point short of duct taping the rear windows I can't do it.

HELP!!

Other notes: The roof will go down under its own power, although near the end of the down process it kinda just "drops". Front windows will slightly move whenever I try to go either way. I have to use allen key to latch the roof in place, so i know it's locked in and would thus expect the rear windows to work...

Does it look like I have sufficient fluid?
Also, where exactly are the "rams" I should push to lock everything in place? I read about the procedure on Gus's site but I am not sure what these rams are?

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide...
The fluid should be always between the 2 embossed lines in the center. Your photo is not that clear, but I think it is very low...this would definitely cause your problem.

Old 06-04-2012, 02:53 PM
dx3
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Norri
You'll find the window raise answer in post #2 here https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-closed-71304/
What am I missing here? This is what my fusebox in my trunk looks like

Name:  36c266f7.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  73.5 KB

Old 12-27-2013, 05:05 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Recycling the roof.

I had my new to me 2005 XK8 detailed the other day. The did a nice job on the car but don't know what he did when he lower the top to work on the interior but he came and got me when the roof was almost all the way up but not locked and the quarter windows were down. Nothing would move. I was taking the car in this morning for other issues to be addressed which I will explain on another post. The independent Jaguar shop charged me $57 to recycle the roof. I watched the mechanic. He got the Allen wrench out of the back and unlocked the roof lock. When reviewing this before posting, he might have depressurized the system. I think he reach into the back right side but couldn't see what he was doing. He then pressed on each side on the top between the rear window and the quarter windows to move the ram so the top could be lowered manually. He pushed the top all the back in to the rear compartment. Got in the car started it and then ran it through full close and full open cycle twice. Everything worked. After watching I don't think I would be afraid to give it a go.

Barry
76 XJ6C
2005 XK8, Zircon Blue

The following users liked this post:
Hdpartsman00XKR (01-02-2015)
Old 12-27-2013, 05:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Fill the tank and see what takes place

Old 12-28-2013, 04:56 PM
Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

The row of black relays in your picture controls top functions. I agree that your fluid level looks low. Be sure you fill it using only the recommended fluid, like Pentosin CHF11S. Back to the relays. From left to right (in your pic "top" to "bottom") and if my memory serves me, the relays are in this order: Top up, top down, left rear window up, left rear window down, right rear window up, right rear window down. I have a relay substitution kit with switches built into look-alike relays to substitute the original relays. Perhaps you could take a sample relay with you to an auto parts store to see if they have any of these "switches". By substituting the relay, you can operate the components at will. This should get your windows up. Or, you can simply jump the terminals in the relay socket, providing that you know exactly which two wires to jump! Better safe than sorry. I would use the switches.