XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Here's an interesting one....Transmission.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 201 Likes on 92 Posts
Default Here's an interesting one....Transmission.

So I don't know what to make of this, maybe the forum can give a hint. I have a 1999 XK8, 125k miles, runs and drives like a dream.

The other day I went to run to the store, and when I put it in reverse, it went "clunk". I put it in park, then back to reverse "clunk". Then when I backed out onto the road and put it in drive it didn't start moving forward on its own. I had to give it about a 1/4 pedal to move and it felt like the emergency brake was on. I checked, and nope, it's off. So I drove to the store to see how it drove. It drove "ok".

When I went to leave the store 20 minutes later I put it in reverse and there was no "clunk". I put it in drive, and it crawled forward like normal and it shifts like nothing ever happened.

Here's my question: The car sat for two days in stupidly hot weather, and my driveway is about a 10% grade. Could the heat and grade have caused the transmission fluid to drain to the lower part of the transmission causing it to act in that manner? Slim chance I know....

Old 06-27-2017, 09:28 AM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I would check for DTCs in the TCM. Your car might have been in LIMP-MODE (4th gear only) which is why it felt 'sluggish'.

bob

The following users liked this post:
marvin.d.miller (06-28-2017)