XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HID/XENON RHD to LDH conversion ( and vice versa )

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 09:20 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Exclamation HID/XENON RHD to LDH conversion ( and vice versa )

Maybe this information can be of some use for others.

My MY 2004 XKR was imported from Japan (RHD) so the dipped beam was asymmetric in the wrong direction for use in Europe ( the continental part ) and that needed to be dealt with before taking the car to MOT inspection.
The HID units are Valeo parts, and they are quite easy to remove from the car. The two units are exactly the same. Only the HID lamp unit needs to be removed, not the entire headlamp unit.
The HID lamp unit is attached to the headlamp unit by a few screws.
It is possible to separate the lens from the rest of the HID lamp unit by bending the small metal clips that holds the two parts together.
Placed between the lens and the other part of the HID lamp unit is there an aluminium plate that is cut in such a shape that it creates the dip.
If you place this aluminium plate upside down ( do not rotate it clock or anti clock vice ) and reassemble the HID lamp unit and lens by bending the small metal clips back in position your dipped beam will be asymmetric to the other side than when you started.
Reinstall lamp units in the car and you are done.
This worked flawless in my MY 2004, and the MOT inspector was happy ( and so was I )
I don't know if this applies to other model years as well.
What I do know for sure is that I am a fool not to have taken any photos of this, sorry for that.

The following 4 users liked this post by Supersprint:
GGG (12-21-2017), JagNoir (12-19-2017), Johnken (12-18-2017), michaelh (12-18-2017)
Old 12-21-2017, 02:36 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersprint
..... Placed between the lens and the other part of the HID lamp unit is there an aluminium plate that is cut in such a shape that it creates the dip. .....
Here are the plates:

HID/XENON RHD to LDH conversion ( and vice versa )-xk8-headlamp-converter-rhd-lhd.jpg

The topic has been discussed before:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ersion-109771/

See post #9 by dibbit for a photo sequence.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Supersprint (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:05 AM
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi Graham

Very useful photos in that link, thanks.

The plates you show is from the standard Halogen headlamp unit. Or at least that is what I think
In the HID/Xenon unit the plates looks different and can just be flipped inside the unit as I said above and that's also suggested by avos in post #7 in your link.
If nothing else new, that HID unit plate flipping options seems to be clarified now.

Carsten

GGG (12-22-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Carsten,

There was a lot of discussion on this a few years ago with some members emigrating with their XK8's from the UK to mainland Europe. My memory may not be the best and I'm sure you're correct about the HID plates.

It took Jaguar a few goes to sort out LH and RH dip and they never did resolve the misting issue on the XK8/XKR even with the HID's.

On the later XK there's a lever in the headlamp to switch the dip direction. The only problem is the headlamp has to be removed to switch it! The final XK 5.0 litre models have headlamps suitable for both LH and RH dip without requiring any adjustment.

Graham

Supersprint (12-26-2017)
Old 12-22-2017, 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 460 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by Supersprint
Hi Graham

Very useful photos in that link, thanks.

The plates you show is from the standard Halogen headlamp unit. Or at least that is what I think
In the HID/Xenon unit the plates looks different and can just be flipped inside the unit as I said above and that's also suggested by avos in post #7 in your link.
If nothing else new, that HID unit plate flipping options seems to be clarified now.

Carsten
Yes, Graham's photo shows the earlier non HID plates. Those can't be rotated, but have to be snipped or possibly bent into shape.

When I did mine (2001 XKR) I replaced mine with a pair of LHD plates bought on ebay for £50.

Supersprint (12-26-2017)