XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood latch question on replacing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 11:54 AM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hood latch question on replacing

Got new pass. side hood latch w/bracket. Is it easier to replace the whole unit or remove the new latch from it's bracket and use the existing bracket that's already on car(removing just the old latch)? If anyone has done this.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:55 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

I've never had a convertible so can offer no help on this one.

However, as your question has had 218 Views but 0 Replies so far, I'm posting to bump it back to the top of the list.

I know there's plenty of convertible owners out there familiar with the latching mechanism. Surely there must be someone with experience or advice ......

Graham

Old 02-08-2018, 04:08 AM
Veteran Member
Received 653 Likes on 462 Posts

Are we talking "hood" as in roof, or "hood" as in bonnet ? I suspect the latter but may be wrong.

Old 02-08-2018, 07:34 AM
GGG
Received 16,791 Likes on 12,165 Posts

David,

A good point.

I automatically associate 'hoods' with a folding soft top or dubious characters in Chicago and 'trunks' with elephants or swimming.

The Jaguar choice of 'engine compartment' and 'luggage compartment' removes any doubt.

Graham

Old 02-08-2018, 07:45 AM
Received 6,249 Likes on 5,449 Posts

Sounds like the engine compartment latch to me. :-)
I don't recall anyone having trouble with it.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Arrow

The HOOD (over the engine compartment)(Bonnet) latch on my 05 XK8 has never been a problem until the other day. It would open with very little pull on the hood release and close just by holding the hood about ten inches from closing, then releasing to let the weight of the hood (bonnet) snap it shut.

However, the day came, that after checking all the levels, I followed the same method, but this time only the passenger side latched. The drivers side sounded as if it had hit a stop or closed latch.
Thinking it had just malfunctioned, I released the latches and tried again, but with the same result. Now I was concerned. My beautiful car had a problem.

After much head scratching and examination, my conclusion was that the latch had not remained open after I raised the hood, or at least, in the ready position to accept the hold down loop which is on the hood itself. So after satisfying myself that the latch had moved and needed adjustment, I got out my trusted 1/4 tool kit and started the adjustment.

Well, after many tries and adjusting what there is to adjust (up and down), I finally found a spot that would allow the hood to latch on this side, however, the location I found caused that end to be a little high, but after many tries, that one place I found was the only location that worked. The end is still a little high.

I would ask for help, but see from the post on this subject, that no one has had any problems in this saga of "My hood (bonnet) latch adjustment mystery". If there is anyone hiding in the back ground that has experienced this adjusting problem, a post on the subject or a private email would be much appreciated.

Cheers.
Chuck