XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hooray! (Not) My 1st Restricted Performance msg!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:31 PM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Hooray! (Not) My 1st Restricted Performance msg!

1998 XK8 Coupe RHD. 147k Miles almost F.J.S.H.

Just driving along, i had just accelerated reasonably quickly up to say 50 mph - slowed down for traffic lights and noticed the Restricted Performance msg - my heart chilled and so did my wallet...
A day later the msg seems to come and go seemingly of it's own free will.
I understand i need to get it diagnosed with a reader (i've already ordered a generic universal one) and give u guys some codes.
It's going to be prof decarbonised on Monday 11.00
I'm wondering if this is just a blip that will solve itself.
I texted the former owner (i bought it Tue 14th Jan 2014) - he said he'd ha that happen to him once but it cleared itself. I think he mentioned he'd bought it a new battery recently.
So glad this web-site is here - i had a look at some of the service history bills - £1000's and £1000's of GBP's !!
Official Jaguar Garages aren't shy are they?
Do these warning come and go themselves?
Previous owner said i might have gotten some electrics wet driving it home 135 Miles in torrential rain ... apart from the msg it seems to be running fine, it did rev right up to 6000 plus when i had a free enough city road to floor it to test this evening.
I also did that a mile before and it seemed to choke itself - are these temperamental old cats then?
Thanks in advance.
B

Last edited by LondonXK8Boy; 01-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 03:22 AM
Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by LondonXK8Boy
I'm wondering if this is just a blip that will solve itself.
B
Probably & I bet there'll be no retirements in this year's opening Grand Prix in OZ.

Get the code reader, read the codes then get it fixed before it gives up on a wet, stormy night in the middle of nowhere.

The following 2 users liked this post by JonWat:
LondonXK8Boy (01-17-2014), Ragneta2000 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 03:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

..... apart from the msg it seems to be running fine, it did rev right up to 6000 plus when i had a free enough city road to floor it to test this evening.....
I have to ask. Where did you find a road in London to be able to take it up to the rev limit?

You didn't mention it in your post but I think dual fuel is a relevant factor to consider with this issue.

Graham

Old 01-17-2014, 06:40 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Dual fuel?

Probably won't clear itself. And nothing should get wet that matters so on any way of looking at this it's a fault that ought to be fixed.

Have a close look at the battery to make sure it IS new. Also its terminals etc to see if they're properly fixed.

Codes would help so post when you know.

Old 01-17-2014, 11:40 AM
Default i don't think it's a dual fuel thing (tho' it could be)

it starts up on petrol and the amber light and msg are already displayed - it only moves onto LPG when the engine is warm, interesting tho' i do feel it was about to run out of LPG and change seamlessly over to petrol when the fault appeared. Maybe the computer got confused?
In answer to ur question about revving it up Graham i got a couple of clear roads and simply tried to take it past 4000 rpm and it was not letting me - shudder shudder etc.
I have a funny feeling this is something small - i was driving home tonight and in the last half mile the amber light went out - it had been on an off for say ten seconds a time for two miles before that (in slow traffic) and then that last half mile off for a good two minutes - my heart soared then when i stopped outside the house ... it came back on again.
The previous owner claims the battery is one year old, i had a quick look and it looks pretty new, is it worth charging it? He said he wasn't using the car much recently (he has 4 cars) - saying that i'm not sure i could lift it - biggest battery i have ever seen on a car !!
Did i read somewhere here about resetting the computer by touching the live connector to the earth or something ?
The previous owner says that's worth a try.
I will be asking how to work the code reader soon enough (should be here by Monday) - r u guys interested in how my decarbonisation goes on Monday?
Thanks for taking the time to reply

Last edited by LondonXK8Boy; 01-17-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

it starts up on petrol and the amber light and msg are already displayed - it only moves onto LPG when the engine is warm, interesting tho' i do feel it was about to run out of LPG and change seamlessly over to petrol when the fault appeared. Maybe the computer got confused?
In answer to ur question about revving it up Graham i got a couple of clear roads and simply tried to take it past 4000 rpm and it was not letting me - shudder shudder etc.
I have a funny feeling this is something small - i was driving home tonight and in the last half mile the amber light went out - it had been on an off for say ten seconds a time and then that last bit about two minutes - my heart soared then when i stopped outside the house ... it came back on again.
The previous owner claims the battery is one year old, i had a quick look and it looks pretty new, is it worth charging it? He said he wasn't using the car much recently (he has 4 cars) - saying that i'm not sure i could lift it - biggest battery i have ever seen on a car !!
Did i read somewhere here about resetting the computer by touching the live connector to the earth or something ?
The previous owner says that's worth a try.
I will be asking how to work the code reader soon enough (should be here by Monday) - r u guys interested in how my decarbonisation goes on Monday?
Thanks for taking the time to reply
Sorry to hear of your issues and hope they get resolved in short order.

In answer to your question, YES, of course we'd like to hear about your decarbonisation and how it goes....

Terraclean or similar?

The following users liked this post:
LondonXK8Boy (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Default yes Terraclean

I didn't want to come across as someone pushing a product/service - figured you'd figure it out and u did
Lang may yer Lum Reek Tae

Old 01-17-2014, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Hard reset: Disconnect ground neg. terminal and touch strap to pos. for about 30 sec.

LondonXK8Boy (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by RJ237
Hard reset: Disconnect ground neg. terminal and touch strap to pos. for about 30 sec.
ok - i'll give that a try - disconnect the neg terminal lead and touch it it to the pos for 30 secs? is that right? - i assume it reaches ok?

i have the radio code ...

Old 01-17-2014, 01:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 9,005 Likes on 4,113 Posts

I didn't want to come across as someone pushing a product/service - figured you'd figure it out and u did
Lang may yer Lum Reek Tae
Had the Terraclean performed on my A6 some time ago and have been pleased with the results.

Good luck

Old 01-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,484 Likes on 3,902 Posts

Sounds like misfires. If so, bad coils or possibly plugs. Or a dual fuel related problem. Codes would help you.

Old 01-17-2014, 04:30 PM

i did drive it with no problem at decent motorway speed a day or so before with no problem or engine light at all - why would the light come and go? ( i'm gen. curious)
Do they run fine up to 3000 rpm with plug and or coil problems.
Seems like we have to wait on the codes.
I love that you guys are concerned - looking out my front window at such a beautiful car just makes me (and u guys i know) want to make it run well and good.
cheers.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:23 AM

Update! ok drove to work today (early morning) - msg still there, left work at circa 14.40 - driving home with no headlights on - after about two miles - the msg disappears and didn't reappear all the way home (6 more miles) - conclusion?
Battery not charged enough.
As i said the guy i bought it off had 4 cars and simply was hardly using the XK.
So it was holding it's own until i asked it to be only used in the dark with all lights blazing and everything electrical drawing from an slightly undercharged battery.
Now i could be wrong and it might reappear.
The code reader arrived today.
Is it worth plugging it in when there are no msg's on the car display.
Oh and i was looking at the bar that holds down the battery - the head of the screw/nut thing look like a large screwdriver head - i guess it's not - what tool do i need to remove the holding bar? cheers guys.

Old 01-18-2014, 11:51 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

If it generated any codes they would be stored, so yes it is worthwhile to read them. Then I would clear them and see if they return.

For the screw/bolt you describe it must be a torx head. Didn't look at mine, but Jag loves to use these torx bolts. A basic set of torx drivers can be had inexpensively.

LondonXK8Boy (01-18-2014)
Old 01-18-2014, 12:02 PM

The code reader arrived today no instructions - but it does have a mini cd i assume u put into a CD drive on a laptop?
Do i just switch the reader on and stick it into the Jag under the steering wheel area?
what happens next?

it's an EOBD/OBD11 Live Data reader ... version 2013.

Old 01-18-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

You'll probably save time by playing the CD first. Old lab saying: when all else fails, read the instructions.

LondonXK8Boy (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 02:21 AM

Update (again) - we took a day trip to Stonehenge (cue Spinal Tap Movie Memories) - abso no problems, car was great, louder cabin noise inside than i was expecting from a Jaguar - i though hey it's a Sports model - i can handle it, i was travelling at interesting speeds at times starting with a 1 and even starting with a 12 ... ( say no more )
No msgs's on the dash, when i was going for it power-wise i felt like it was not 'breathing properly, felt like it was getting close to a limiter at high speed' - like it had a dirty air filter or it might be solved by todays decarbonisation, i have found a fairly nearby place that do HID Kit installs - i will see if they do XK's and how much - the dipped light illumination on unlit roads is scandalous - dangerous even.
So i'm looking at a decarb, light upgrade - poss sports back pipes to release that V8 Burble that we all surely love. - Any rec's regarding the rear exhaust?
I now reckon that the LPG system isn't up to very high performance asks from the XK hence the limiting feeling i was getting - no problem - i'm not going to be doing those speeds very often and if i want to a simple button press will restore petrol ...

Last edited by LondonXK8Boy; 01-20-2014 at 11:22 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

adamesh,take out the two rear boxes and replace with adamesh over axle pipes,i have oval tips on mine and the sound to me is just about right,if you havent done so already new k&n filter

LondonXK8Boy (01-20-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 10:41 AM

Thanks dodgerjames - Yes that looks exactly what i'm after - i assume the oval tips are extra? I can't see the tips on the web-site ... £49 for an air filter? I assume u do notice the difference tho'

Old 01-20-2014, 10:50 AM

Ok another update - took the car in for the Terraclean in the Xavier Auto Clinic Garage off the Goldhawk Rd, London - i asked the very friendly/knowledgable chap for a before and after Spectrum test - he hooked the analyser up - after a few minutes he said - to be honest with you - your engine is very very clean already and it's not worth having it Terracleaned - he also said my XK8's engine is the quietest one he'd ever heard - he said it sounds in very good condition - so i was well pleased. So with his honesty i saved myself £150 inc V.A.T. - so i went out and had an HID Cambus Xenon Pro Kit fitted for £90 and i now have my eye on a Sports Exhaust in the next Month or two - i might wait until after the MOT which is due in late March ... all in all - a great few days - cars running great and now the headlights are great too - looking at also having it all machine polished and a new head unit with iPod Touch/ iPhone connectivity (parrot etc) - then as Spring arrives a good service and all should be well in my XK8 world (fingers crossed) - cheers !

Last edited by LondonXK8Boy; 01-20-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Hooray! (Not) My 1st Restricted Performance msg!