XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HOW TO: Cleaning the Wheel Speed Sensors FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Just want to throw my thanks in to Reverend Sam for this timeless thread. I was deep in the middle of replacing brake pads and was waiting on O'Reillys Auto to finish dressing my rotors when I found this. With no issue (yet) but nothing else to do at the moment, I checked all my sensors, which I would never have thought to do. The front sensors were relatively clean but the rear pair were pretty caked up. Even worse, the cogged wheels inside the housings were also badly caked up, too. A thin toothbrush fit easily into the sensor hole and a few spins of the back wheels cleaned up the cogs. Thanks Reverend Sam; this has doubtless saved some future frustration and needless downtime!

Old 03-27-2018, 03:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve been reading through this thread hoping it may give some clues to the problems I’m having with my S Type R 2007.

I’m getting various DSC, CATS, ABS warnings on the display and the car has now been at a Jag main dealer for a week being investigated.

The interesting thing is that the speedometer isn’t working. Just stays at zero. Rev counter is working ok.

I feel that the speedometer may be a clue to where the fault lies.

Does anyone know what sensor feeds the speedometer?

Many thanks.

Old 05-25-2019, 03:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I was getting the ABS warning light and DSC warning message intermittently. Also, sometimes when I would apply the brakes I could hear the ABS system clicking away even though I was nowhere near the limit of traction. Usually it happened when I was almost stopped and only going 5 to 10 miles per hour. Info from this forum told me that it was most likely either a dirty wheel speed sensor or a bad wheel speed sensor, so I decided to clean them all to see if that would fix the problem. Here is a tutorial with pictures in case anyone else wants to try this.

Tools needed:
* 5/16ths inch socket with a ratchet (a 5/16ths inch wrench will work, too)
* Toothbrush
* Dish soap.

Also, you need to take the wheels off. The tools for that are already in the trunk.

Time:
It took me about 90 minutes. If you have an impact wrench and a floor jack it will go faster, but I was just using the jack and lug wrench from the trunk.

Skill Level:
Your daughter could do it.

I did the front wheels first. Just jack up one wheel and take it off. I figured out after I had both front wheels finished that it would have been a little easier if I had turned the wheels in the direction of the wheel sensor I was trying to clean. In other words, when working on the left front wheel, turn the steering wheel to the left. When working on the right one turn the wheel to the right. Make sure you only turn the wheels when both front wheels are on the ground. You don't want the car falling off of the jack.

So here's the tutorial...

Removing and Replacing the Front Sensor

Here is a picture of the front right wheel well. The sensor is on the other side of the rotor and you can't see it in this picture (That's why I said to turn the wheel to the right. It would be easier to access the sensor with the wheel turned to the side.

Attachment 178067

Here is a picture of the actual sensor. You can see the little cog thingy on the left side of the picture. The sensor bolts on right next to the cog thingy. As the little cogs move past the sensor the sensor detects them and sends a signal back to the ABS system so that it knows the speed of each wheel. In this picture I have already removed the one bolt that holds the sensor in place. It's a 5/16ths inch bolt and it is very easy to access and remove.

By the way... you can see the tire on the right side of the picture because when I was a kid my dad taught me to slide the wheel under the car so that if the car falls off the jack it will still be supported by the wheel. Jack stands will do the same thing. It's just a little safety measure.

Attachment 178068

And this picture is from an angle you will never see unless you have the ability to remove your head. This is from within the wheel well looking back. The wheel speed sensor is nice and clean because I have already removed it and cleaned it. Once again, the bolt which holds it in place is not installed in this picture. You can see the bright, shiny brass where the bolt will be inserted. In this picture you can also see the wire harness which plugs into the sensor. Make sure you check the harness for damage.

Attachment 178069

Removing and Replacing the Rear Sensor

The rear sensor is even easier to get to than the front sensor. After removing the wheel you can easily see the sensor by sticking your head in the wheel well and looking down.

Attachment 178070

The rear sensor looks exactly the same as the front, except as I mentioned above, it mounts on a housing that hides the little cog thingy. I think that's why the rear sensors were dirtier than the front sensors. The front sensors get washed off any time the car goes through a puddle, but the rear sensors are protected from the elements. grease and other crud builds up on them and it doesn't get rinsed off. Here's a picture of the sensor after it has been removed. You can see the cog thingy through the little hole.

Attachment 178071

Cleaning the sensor

Here's one of the dirty sensors I removed. This one was the dirtiest, but both of the rear sensors were much dirtier than the front sensors. I think that's because the front sensors are exposed, and the rear sensors are buried in some kind of housing which surrounds the rear axles.

Attachment 178072

To clean the sensor, simply take it to the kitchen sink and scrub it with a toothbrush and some dish soap. Try not to get any water into the electrical connector end of it. If you do get water in there, it's not the end of the world. Just tap the water out and then wait for it to dry before you reinstall it. You don't want to reinstall it wet because you might end up with some corrosion in the connector.

After about 45 seconds with the toothbrush your sensor will end up looking like this:

Attachment 178073

And that's it! It's really a simple "repair". I've driven my XK8 about 50 miles in city traffic since I cleaned them and the ABS/DSC warnings haven't activated, and I haven't had the faulty clicking from the ABS system. Prior to cleaning the sensors I would have expected it to happen at least 3 or 4 times. Only time will tell if this actually fixed it, but judging by the amount of gunk on the rear sensors, I think dirty sensors were the culprit.

UPDATE!!! I just made a video on how to do this. You don't even need to remove your front wheels! The pictures above are still helpful because they will help you locate the front wheel speed sensors with your hands. You can't really see them because they are hidden by the tire and the front fender. The rear sensor are easy to see once you get the wheels off.

Here is the video:

Jaguar XK8 Wheel Speed Sensors - YouTube
Thank you so much for your help with the above tutorial. So I successfully remove my right rear wheel sensor cleaned it up and refitted it.
I am yet to find out whether it has worked or not excellent help thank you again
Di

Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just finished cleaning the sensors. Have driven over 100 miles....no default messages!
Thanks Sam for the info and pics!

The following users liked this post:
DavidYau (08-26-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 06:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
I was getting the ABS warning light and DSC warning message intermittently. Also, sometimes when I would apply the brakes I could hear the ABS system clicking away even though I was nowhere near the limit of traction. Usually it happened when I was almost stopped and only going 5 to 10 miles per hour. Info from this forum told me that it was most likely either a dirty wheel speed sensor or a bad wheel speed sensor, so I decided to clean them all to see if that would fix the problem. Here is a tutorial with pictures in case anyone else wants to try this.

Tools needed:
* 5/16ths inch socket with a ratchet (a 5/16ths inch wrench will work, too)
* Toothbrush
* Dish soap.

Also, you need to take the wheels off. The tools for that are already in the trunk.

Time:
It took me about 90 minutes. If you have an impact wrench and a floor jack it will go faster, but I was just using the jack and lug wrench from the trunk.

Skill Level:
Your daughter could do it.

I did the front wheels first. Just jack up one wheel and take it off. I figured out after I had both front wheels finished that it would have been a little easier if I had turned the wheels in the direction of the wheel sensor I was trying to clean. In other words, when working on the left front wheel, turn the steering wheel to the left. When working on the right one turn the wheel to the right. Make sure you only turn the wheels when both front wheels are on the ground. You don't want the car falling off of the jack.

So here's the tutorial...

Removing and Replacing the Front Sensor

Here is a picture of the front right wheel well. The sensor is on the other side of the rotor and you can't see it in this picture (That's why I said to turn the wheel to the right. It would be easier to access the sensor with the wheel turned to the side.

Attachment 178067

Here is a picture of the actual sensor. You can see the little cog thingy on the left side of the picture. The sensor bolts on right next to the cog thingy. As the little cogs move past the sensor the sensor detects them and sends a signal back to the ABS system so that it knows the speed of each wheel. In this picture I have already removed the one bolt that holds the sensor in place. It's a 5/16ths inch bolt and it is very easy to access and remove.

By the way... you can see the tire on the right side of the picture because when I was a kid my dad taught me to slide the wheel under the car so that if the car falls off the jack it will still be supported by the wheel. Jack stands will do the same thing. It's just a little safety measure.

Attachment 178068

And this picture is from an angle you will never see unless you have the ability to remove your head. This is from within the wheel well looking back. The wheel speed sensor is nice and clean because I have already removed it and cleaned it. Once again, the bolt which holds it in place is not installed in this picture. You can see the bright, shiny brass where the bolt will be inserted. In this picture you can also see the wire harness which plugs into the sensor. Make sure you check the harness for damage.

Attachment 178069

Removing and Replacing the Rear Sensor

The rear sensor is even easier to get to than the front sensor. After removing the wheel you can easily see the sensor by sticking your head in the wheel well and looking down.

Attachment 178070

The rear sensor looks exactly the same as the front, except as I mentioned above, it mounts on a housing that hides the little cog thingy. I think that's why the rear sensors were dirtier than the front sensors. The front sensors get washed off any time the car goes through a puddle, but the rear sensors are protected from the elements. grease and other crud builds up on them and it doesn't get rinsed off. Here's a picture of the sensor after it has been removed. You can see the cog thingy through the little hole.

Attachment 178071

Cleaning the sensor

Here's one of the dirty sensors I removed. This one was the dirtiest, but both of the rear sensors were much dirtier than the front sensors. I think that's because the front sensors are exposed, and the rear sensors are buried in some kind of housing which surrounds the rear axles.

Attachment 178072

To clean the sensor, simply take it to the kitchen sink and scrub it with a toothbrush and some dish soap. Try not to get any water into the electrical connector end of it. If you do get water in there, it's not the end of the world. Just tap the water out and then wait for it to dry before you reinstall it. You don't want to reinstall it wet because you might end up with some corrosion in the connector.

After about 45 seconds with the toothbrush your sensor will end up looking like this:

Attachment 178073

And that's it! It's really a simple "repair". I've driven my XK8 about 50 miles in city traffic since I cleaned them and the ABS/DSC warnings haven't activated, and I haven't had the faulty clicking from the ABS system. Prior to cleaning the sensors I would have expected it to happen at least 3 or 4 times. Only time will tell if this actually fixed it, but judging by the amount of gunk on the rear sensors, I think dirty sensors were the culprit.
PDATE!!! I just made a video on how to do this. You don't even need to remove your front wheels! The pictures above are still helpful because they will help you locate the front wheel speed sensors with your hands. You can't really see them because they are hidden by the tire and the front fender. The rear sensor are easy to see once you get the wheels off.

Here is the video:

Jaguar XK8 Wheel Speed Sensors - YouTube
You are the man!!!!! My RR was fouled with road grime, once cleaned, problem solved!! Thank you!!

Old 10-07-2020, 11:23 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the sensors the same on the XJ8?

Old 10-18-2020, 07:32 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Another issue that will cause the ABS light to come on and off is worn out stabilizer (sway bar) bushings. They are sold on the after market for about $10 each or about $50 for the kit. I had the kit installed to both wheels at Miami Chassis for $100. Too soon to know if that solved the problem for me.

Old 08-29-2021, 10:47 AM
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Great stuff, thanks so much. Brand new and the light and messages came on 30 minutes on my way home 7 hour drive. That sinking feeling started.