XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do XK8/ XKR Owners Feel About The XF Are Any Of You Considering Buying One ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 07:13 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Arrow How Do XK8/ XKR Owners Feel About The XF Are Any Of You Considering Buying One ?

I been thinking about the Jaguar XF for a while now. I eventually want to get one. How do you feel about the XF ?

Old 02-08-2012, 07:39 PM
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Since I sold the XJ6 the wife has been pushing me to get another 4 door... After driving the XKR and then hopping into the XJ,,, I felt like I was driving around in a AMC PACER,,, The window area seemed so huge... I actually felt awful in the car...

So she says to look at the XF (which btw a family friend had and loved) It is a sleek looking vehicle,,, but some how I Don't see a Jaguar in it... One that is 3 years old low miles are a STEAL... I saw a 09 (I think) 16,000 miles mint $29,000.00 did not last long... and at a dealer too... So Private seller might have a better value,,, Somewhere...

I told her the kids are gone (almost out the door) and we don't need a 4 door... at least in my mind...

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-08-2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 182 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Count_Damonee
It is a sleek looking vehicle,,, but somhow I Don't see a Jaguar in it...
I feel exactly the same way. I have an X-Type w/ 4 wheel drive, which I very much like. I also very much liked the S-Type. Both were, IMHO, very much Jaguars. The XF, I just don't care for the looks. It's like half way between a sedan and sports car and does neither well.

Mark

Old 02-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Received 69 Likes on 54 Posts

Went by the dealer last weekend, wife feel in love with the xj new and used. My kids are out of the house, so i bought her an xk8 convertible new leathers jackets, a heated blanket, hats and so on. Well our grandson is 2 and we may have one on the way. I think she will have a used xj in the near future. Which is fine that means the xk8 is mine. I can hardly wait. James my grandson can says it it like it is. SUNGLASSES TOP DOWN!!!!

i can hardly wait the grand and POP POP cursing!!! Jim

Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM

"Went by the dealer last weekend, wife feel in love with the xj new and used."

A used XJ6,XJ8 or the XJR,,, are some of the best values on the market... Not only were one of the safest vehicles produced,,, 1995 and newer (at least in my experience) are very reliable...

They are very functional for a family car,,, lots of trunk space,,, leg room,,,( L is longer,,, even more leg room) great acoustics,,, and nicely laid out interor and control wise,,, IMHO

My XJ6 was quick for 4995lbs and great gas mileage,,,

Old 02-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 04 XK8. Looked at a 09 XF supercharged and loved it. Now they sit next to each other!!!!

Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 PM

"I have an 04 XK8. Looked at a 09 XF supercharged and loved it. Now they sit next to each other!!!!"

They seem to be a great value based on the deals I have seen... And our friend loved his,,, but he blows thru cars like toilet paper... Every 6 months It is the newest thing available...

As with all new styles the Purist's,,, like some of us take a while to accept a new style...

I am sure it will grow on me... at some point....

But I am sticking to the 2 door mentality for now...

NO MO 4 DOORS FO NOW... I hope

Last edited by Count_Damonee; 02-08-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
I been thinking about the Jaguar XF for a while now. I eventually want to get one. How do you feel about the XF ?
I drove the XFR on a Jag-sponsored event. The steering feel is sharper than my current X100-gen XKR. It also has a limited slip diff, that you can really 'feel' - best way I can describe it - during spirited driving.

If I had to go back to 1 car, I would look hard for a pre-owned XFR. Don't know about the regular XF though, have not driven that yet.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

I think the XF is a beautiful car and really the automobile that brought Jaguar back to being competitive with the other Euro-luxury brands. A couple of years ago at an Audi track day event (with my Pantera), a young woman with an XFR was the quickest car on the track, it could fly and was very poised. I wouldn't replace my '02 XKR with an XF, because I believe the aesthetics of the first series XK will be considered classic (if it isn't already), and I love to look at it and have the freedom of a convertible. However, I would consider it to replace our '08 Buick Enclave (never buy a first year release) so that we have a car that can carry four or five people to dinner. I think it is more attractive than its Mercedes or BMW counterparts and can be purchased used for bargain prices.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:32 PM

"I think it is more attractive than its Mercedes or BMW counterparts and can be purchased used for bargain prices."

The XF is a more unique car ,,, not as many on the road as the other manufacturers. I was never very motivated by the Mercedes,,, however I was leaning to a 650 BMW before this.
Our 5 Series has been a good car,,, OUR XJ6 Did not cost my anything in REPAIRS for 6 years 100,000 miles so that was a deciding factor in the XKR purchase over the 650 BMW,,, Plus the XKR had half the miles and was 1/3 the price...

My favorite thing is that they only made 584 in 2005 So I dont see many,,,, EVEN HERE IN PALM BEACH / JUPITER ISLAND,,, Everyone here has a Benz or a Bimmer even the Help...lol

I would consider looking at one if I am TOLD TO by the PBTW...

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 AM
Veteran Member

I'm still not crazy about the looks but you are correct Count, there are some very good deals on the XF. I just checked out eBay and you can buy XFs with 20k to 30k miles for high $20k to low $30k and the interior design is not bad. I still like the looks of my old X-type better but maybe when I have to replace it, I MAY consider an XF. However, I have heard that Jaguar is comming out with a new X-Type next year.

Mark

Old 02-09-2012, 02:54 AM
GGG
Received 16,792 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Originally Posted by jagxkrtoofast
I've run a sports coupe and a saloon together for forty years and still do. The saloons have covered all Jaguar models from the 1972 XJ6 Series I through to a 2001 XJ8L with the exception of XJ6 Series III when Jaguar build quality was at an absolute low.

Don't have a current Jaguar saloon for the simple reason if you were to remove the badges, the XF would look like too many other saloons on the UK and mainland European roads.

No doubt about it being well engineered and comfortable both to drive and be driven in but it just doesn't have instant recognition as a Jaguar. That is possibly a less valid criticism against other cars on the road in the US where imports will always stand out just as US cars do on the road here in the UK.

In the end it comes down to whether you like it. No one needs a Jaguar and whatever model, it has to be special to you every time you walk up to it to make that investment.

Old 02-09-2012, 03:00 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
In the end it comes down to whether you like it. No one needs a Jaguar and whatever model, it has to be special to you every time you walk up to it to make that investment.
Well said.

Mark

Old 02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,274 Likes on 2,811 Posts

I'm one who just doesn't see Jaguar heritage in the XF. It looks like a Buick/Lexus/Volvo conglomeration to me. I believe we'll be happy with our S-Type and XK8 for many years to come....

Old 02-09-2012, 12:40 PM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Anyone who has read Jeremy Clarkson’s articles in the Sunday Times knows how these things work. Six paragraphs of Jeremy putting the world to rights followed by a few sentences on the car.
And Mr Clarksons review of the jaguar XF is no different. He first launches into a probably justified diatribe about Jaguar as a whole and the mismanagement of the brand over the last few years -
“…in the past few years, we got the new XJ, which looks like a fatter version of the old XJ. We got the X-type, which was an expensive way of buying a Mondeo, and we got the S-type. Which was a Lincoln dressed in Mallory’s tweed suit. And fitted with Danniella Westbrook’s idiotic nose.”
For those non UK readers Danniella Westbrook is an actress famous for destroying her nose with cocaine.
He then roasts the XF - not as nice as the concept car (are they ever?), too many gimmicks, poor gearbox, starter button not working properly. So a pretty poor review, but as with most of Jeremy Clarksons reveiws there is a kicker - “Strangely, however, despite all of this, I enjoyed my time with the XF enormously. I’d have one over an equivalent BMW, Audi or Lexus any day.”

He loves the interior, modern and hemmed in - safe , the ride quality and overall ” This, then, is a car that’s flawed and fantastic, irritating and rewarding, mad and bad. But when all is said and done – and this is the nonsensical joy of cars – I liked it. I looked forward to driving it. I’m sad it’s not here any more.”

Jeremy Clarkson of Top Gear reviewed the XFR during episode 5 of series 13. During the review he said: "I'm not going to, even for a minute suggest that it's [XFR] better than the M5, but it's as-good-as. And praise does not get higher than that". During the same episode The Stig managed a lap time of 1:26.7 s with the XFR. Making the XFR only 0.5 s slower than its rival the BMW M5 (1:26.2).

I don't get to drive the high end cars that Clarkson does but on some of the good middle stuff on down I find that I agree with him almost point for point.

I happen to like the looks of the XF and as Clarkson says the diesel is the one to go for.

Jaguar XF 3.0D S full road test car review - BBC Top Gear - BBC Top Gear

Who says they aren't that good looking?

I'll be looking for one in a couple of years myself.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-10-2012 at 06:06 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:19 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Jon89
I'm one who just doesn't see Jaguar heritage in the XF. It looks like a Buick/Lexus/Volvo conglomeration to me. I believe we'll be happy with our S-Type and XK8 for many years to come....
Yeap, most people that are not Jaguar owners think its a Buick!!

Old 02-18-2012, 04:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

I like the XFR. I like it more than any of the other Jaguar sedans. As for it not being Jaguar, I don't consider ANY of the sedans to be "Jaguar" as I see the brand as starting from race-origins and consider the sedans an abomination. :P

Old 02-18-2012, 04:52 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
They need to re-tender their modelling agency contract

Old 02-18-2012, 04:59 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by plums
They need to re-tender their modelling agency contract
The girl in the back and the girl on the right look just fine. The girl in black does look mannish.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 PM
Banned
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

The XF is an awesome car.

Quick Reply: How Do XK8/ XKR Owners Feel About The XF Are Any Of You Considering Buying One ?