Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you reposition the door catch on refitting

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 06:38 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts
Default How do you reposition the door catch on refitting

Is there a recommended procedure to correctly refit a door catch.

I have removed mine in order to respray the door jamb, however it has a lot of free movement before it is tightened up. Once resprayed all the tell tale signs will be gone

This is the item I mean.

Old 08-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

I just put mine on as low as it would go. You will be able to feel if its right when you close the door. There is not much play in it.

Old 08-30-2016, 12:36 PM
Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts
Old 09-07-2016, 05:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 456 Likes on 299 Posts

Hi RD, I am not the only one that moves about.

Having read your postings I thought Id have a go at adjusting my drivers door. Never been 100% happy with its closure.

Looked at the door hinge bolts. How does anyone get any sort of tool in there?

I tried adjusting the bar on the body work, the bit that the door latch grabs onto? First off I simply took it as low as it would go. hmmm ok but not right. Then I tried adjusting it a couple of more times each time trying not to get too far from the original settings. You could tell where it originally sat by the 'tide' mark around it. Made it worse.

So then I completely ignored the tide mark and looked at the, closed, door itself. My thoughts at the time.......... hmm it could do with coming up a fraction and the top end out a bit and the bottom end in. So I moved the door catch with the measurements in mind above. Moved the top out slightly, moved the bottom in slightly. Moved the entire catch out a smidgen. Tightened up the torx screws. Closed the door. Perfect! It really was as simple as that. It lines up and closes probably better than its ever done for years. The difference is quite noticeable.

Give it a go!

If I had the car here id photo the before and after tide marks for you, but the cars at the garage.

Oh almost forgot. I also tried the grab the outside bottom corner and lift the door back into position move but that did not work.

Last edited by frankc; 09-07-2016 at 05:56 AM.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:04 AM
Veteran Member
Received 883 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks Frank, I'll be putting everything back in/on the car over the next few days and will try that.