XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much of the interior is actual leather ....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by david i
Had a nice chat today with the Jaguar Dealership. My XKR's interior is in superb shape, but I've noticed that when something (sun shade, etc) bumps the A-pillers, they tend to stay dented. This I assume relates to failure of the foam/adhesive/etc below. Still, there is not even a smidge of dirt on the pillers or headliner so I'm in no rush to tweak. But, I raised the question regarding replacing the underlying material (and, presumably the material of the pillers/liner itself). I love the interior of my XKR, but I do note that more recent versions seem to use more leather. Sure enough, the Dealership does work with a leathersmith who can replace the piller and headliner with pretty much any sort of leather desired. Love the smell of leather I do. Also was noted that most interior surfaces not currently of leather can be covered. I am tempted to do the inserts on the doors. Maybe a softly contrasting color (light mocha on A-pillars and door inserts to complement the current beige. No rush though. Suspect to do the pillars and headliner in a very good leather would run $3k. Still, I bought the car for the very long haul, and at some point I might give in to temptation.

regards

-david
That price sounds quite exorbitant. The a pillars are the easiest pieces to do. The simply pull off and except for a small star bit to remove airbag sensor, it would only take some spray glue to install. Very easy! Door panels are a bit moe fidgety to remove but once removed, the center panel easily comes out.
I'd checkout a few custom trim shops for pricing. It really shouldn't be more than 4-500 to do these upgrades even with top grain leather.
I did my conv a pillars and small headliner above the window myself with alcantara suede used in Porsche and such, doing the door inserts as well but having the seat inserts done at trim shop. Only 250.00 in labor, using existing leather seat skins and me supplying the alcantara..
How much of the interior is actual leather ....-image.jpg

Last edited by philhef; 08-17-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:58 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Very little of the interior is covered in leather, only the part you sit on, actually. This was the case for my XK8 as well as the 4.2 XKR I just bought. I'm surprised how many people think everything is leather. You can tell by the feel what is and is not genuine. There are really very few cars with leather interiors which use leather everywhere.

Old 08-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,982 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Very little of the interior is covered in leather, only the part you sit on, actually. This was the case for my XK8 as well as the 4.2 XKR I just bought. I'm surprised how many people think everything is leather. You can tell by the feel what is and is not genuine. There are really very few cars with leather interiors which use leather everywhere.
The armrests (not the entire console, just the armrest) and steering wheel are also leather in this car.