XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove XK8 fore-aft seat motor ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to remove XK8 fore-aft seat motor ?

Can anyone offer any wisdom on removing the fore-aft motor from the drivers seat? My potentiometer appears to be bad and I'm hoping to repair by opening up and taking a look. Looks to be a challenge. Sitting in the living room now so a prompt reply would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I don't know how how prompt a reply this is but . . .

Number 1. Welcome to the forum!

Number 2. The Seat Control Module is a common failure point. Far more than the location potentiometers. Some have been able to repair failure of the SCM due to the plastic case rubbing through the edge of circuit board. Swapping the driver and passenger modules may allow you to move the seat and determine exactly whether the issue is module vs potentiometers.

Swapping the modules may also be required to move the seat to get to the rear bolts for removal.

Old 01-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

Test Point is right. It's a Mexican stand off.

You unbolt the front two bolts, then move the seat forward to get to the back two bolts. Hopefully the seat's been moved forward a little for you to get behind it.

I have a bad switch, and have been putting off replacing it. I did find the part @ Nalley in the correct color, however.

Hopefully you can diagnose your problem. Sometimes salvage yards are needed for modules and motors. I imagine electric seat parts are expensive items.

Good luck!

Old 01-15-2012, 09:43 PM

OK...I figured out how to remove the motor by pulling out one of the two big pins holding the worm gear. I was after the potentiometer which was measuring a high resistence at the center pin. Turns out this is normal and part of the design! Chasing down a memory problem. Mirror, headrest, wheel OK. At this point have nearly eliminated everything but the seat module. Still a possibility it could be another sensor/module feeding the seat module. Can't figure out why the seat belt closure is an input to the seat module. They don't make this easy.l Bought car in current state.

Old 01-16-2012, 03:35 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jag_626
OK...Can't figure out why the seat belt closure is an input to the seat module.
Possibly to do with passenger airbag? It doesn't go off if the passenger seat is unoccupied.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:27 AM

No, the seat module has no airbag connection. BTW....I'm alive today due to airbags. Only problem was it took a week to get the taste out of my mouth and stop shaking.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

OK...I figured out how to remove the motor by pulling out one of the two big pins holding the worm gear. I was after the potentiometer which was measuring a high resistence at the center pin. Turns out this is normal and part of the design! Chasing down a memory problem. Mirror, headrest, wheel OK. At this point have nearly eliminated everything but the seat module. Still a possibility it could be another sensor/module feeding the seat module. Can't figure out why the seat belt closure is an input to the seat module. They don't make this easy.l Bought car in current state.

If it is a memory problem that you have, and the seat manuially works OK, chances are it still is the potentiometer even if you are reading the correct resistance. It could be that is has wear spots as it slides along and generates electrical noise which interferes with correct operation.

Old 01-16-2012, 07:44 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

No, the seat module has no airbag connection. BTW....I'm alive today due to airbags. Only problem was it took a week to get the taste out of my mouth and stop shaking.
I've never been in a car when the airbag has fired but it must be a frightening and disorientating experience. Do they go make any noise when they go off or is the white plastic bag suddenly just there in front of your face?