XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hydraulic fluid pouring out of headliner

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 03:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulic fluid pouring out of headliner

Yesterday I was driving and felt something warm hit my arm. It was the hydraulic fluid from the convertible top. The top won't work now, the back windows are down and the fluid absolutely poured out of the top and still continues to drip.

Is it just the lines that need replacing or is it the whole kit that I'll need to get? Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
LJ

Old 09-20-2010, 04:25 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

There are a world of posts on this never resolved problem. Might start with this thread and I am sure a lot of folks will commensurate with you, me being one.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=5663

Old 09-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing, open the valve on the pump unit in the trunk to relieve the pressure so you can clean up.

I did this job myself (with the help of this forum) 2 months ago and replaced the lines for around $300. Otherwise your looking at around $1500 for a shop to do it because almost the whole interior of the car needs to be removed to replace the lines. It's a very labor intensive job. Keep us posted...

Old 09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Hey Lisa--welcome to the club. Depending on the year and warranty situation with you vehicle, this MAY be covered under warranty. If you are in Glendale, there are a bunch of independent Jag mechanics in the San Fernando Valley that might be able to do the job for less than the dealer, or if you are handy and have patience, it is possible to do it yourself. I would recommend getting the improved hoses that were developed by another forum member (Gus). You will likely find his webpage if you start searching around for the hydraulic hose problem.

Doug

Old 09-20-2010, 07:06 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default Install the Pressure Reduction Valve, too

Also look around on the site and get the pressure reduction valve and install it along with the repair.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

Sorry that you had the misfortune to experience the dreaded hydraulic leak that I call the green monster. It has a way of disrupting your life and your pocketbook. One thing to know is that you are not alone.

We have a great deal of information on the hyd system and you can read about it in this forum under the FAQ or you can go to my page at

http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairHydHose.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairH...lOperation.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/RoofHoseReplacement.htm
http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm

I hope this helps.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks everyone!! I think my husband and I will make the attempt to do it ourselves. Do you think we only need to fix the line over the windshield, or will be have to go from front to back? If so, is it hard to take out the front and back seats? Again, thanks to all of you for being "there" for me!!

Old 09-21-2010, 12:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

You can find short hoses for the header but you will be doing it again because the repair kit leaks and has a lot to be desired. In face Jaguar does not use it anymore. Yes the recommendation and the only true fix is to replace the hose from front to back. The cause of this failure is that the hyd system puts out 1600psi and with the combination of the heat and pressure the hose connection fails. You can read about the hose and the pressure related issues on my page. As for the removal and install of the hose it is a big job and you can read about the process on my page.

Old 09-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Please replace the lines entirely. The other fixes don't work... It's not hard, just tedious. Follow Gus' instructions and you'll be fine

Old 09-21-2010, 04:15 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That settles it. The top stays down on my new purchase until I can get that pressure reducing kit installed. Dear lord, why didn't Jag use stainless steel hydraulic tube and fittings for this??? I guarantee you if my interior has to come out I'm getting one of my Houston area control valve guys involved and we're going to hard pipe that baby.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:58 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by I-RIGHT-I
That settles it. The top stays down on my new purchase until I can get that pressure reducing kit installed. Dear lord, why didn't Jag use stainless steel hydraulic tube and fittings for this??? I guarantee you if my interior has to come out I'm getting one of my Houston area control valve guys involved and we're going to hard pipe that baby.
I know that you are upset but a hard pipe is not the answer! If you do you would need a damper on the line along with a way to eliminate flex and vibration. Pressure reduction is the way to go! It will extend the life of your existing system. It would be impossible to guarantee no failures but you stand a better chance than without. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm

Old 09-21-2010, 05:03 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
I know that you are upset but a hard pipe is not the answer! If you do you would need a damper on the line along with a way to eliminate flex and vibration. Pressure reduction is the way to go! It will extend the life of your existing system. It would be impossible to guarantee no failures but you stand a better chance than without. http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairJ...esRelValve.htm

But what probably would have been a vast improvement would have been for the line that comes from the latch to be solid until it hit the A-pillar instead of having these sensitive fittings right at the latch. Again, I wonder how (if?) the design was changed for the new aluminum-bodied XK?

Doug

Old 09-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

What is the configuration on the XF? I would guarantee you they took a hard look at the previous system as to what went wrong.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by Gus
What is the configuration on the XF? I would guarantee you they took a hard look at the previous system as to what went wrong.
XF convertible?? What have I missed?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by hlgeorge
XF convertible?? What have I missed?
Typo!!! XK Sorry! I like the XF

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Gus

Nothing's happened yet Gus I just took delivery of the XKR about a week ago and the top came down and stayed down since then. I've read your pressure reduction solution and I like it. I'm going to kick the idea around with some mechanical injunears I know down here and if they come up with anything interesting I'll let you know. Thanks for all that hard work!

Speaking of hard piping that system, have you seen a schematic for the hose routing and location of fittings?

Old 09-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Gus
Veteran Member

Right now the system has 2 sets of fittings (metric) one at the latch and the other at the pump and the routing I hope you can make the attachment.

Attached Thumbnails Hydraulic fluid pouring out of headliner-xk8hydhose.jpg  
Old 09-22-2010, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Gus
I hope you can make the attachment.

Thanks Gus. Nope, can't access the attachment I guess I'm still on double secret probation for the time being. With any luck I'll get it toward the end of the week.