Sponsored by:

i can't sleep...2005 XKR

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 08:46 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by prettybluefin
*** OEM 3-d chrome growler center caps
Good for you to keep the growler theme. It feels so much more "correct" for our cars.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:42 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Pretty Ms. bluefin, The darn thing looks just like mine, except mine is Ebony with Ivory interior and has Montreal Wheels...How many miles does it have? It really looks good! When you think about it, our XKR's are 12 to 13 years old now. Look on the driver's door post and the little tag will tell you the Month and Year it was built. Mine says 2/2004 even though it is a 2005 Model. The door entry plate should have an "R" and on the Front Fenders, under the Side Repeater Lights it should have a rectangular "R" in Green, Red and Chrome....That means it has the "R" Performance Package! (Brembos, Handling Package and such)... Don't let anyone try to trade you out of those Detroit Wheels, as they don't make them anymore.....and I'm glad you found the little Leather pouch that has the air-valves and wheel equipment....Tip, always look for the BBS on the rim, that's where the Air-Valve is....under the little screw. Be sure to protect the little Air Valves with your life, as they are getting hard to come by! Most of the Tire Guys don't know what they are so be sure to let them know that you want them back!!! I just had one destroyed in a tire mounting machine last week. They told me they would replace it...so , we'll see....

If you still have he original Brake-Pads, you need to change them to a different type as the original ones will throw off dust and make the wheels dirty.....See those "Bimmer's" with the dirty wheels?...That's European Brake pads that cause that...but you don't need those real expense ceramic pads...Your Jag should have an "R" on the side of the calipers and drilled Rotors, if so you need to get some Hawk Performance HP Plus Pads for the front and back. They cost about $185. a pair for the front and $155. a pair for the rear.....No more brake dust and a lot more than enough braking power...

Keep it pretty, keep it stock and don't hit any speed bumps!

Billy Clyde in Houston
Hi Billy,

yes, mine has the R performance/handling package. I do not use the adaptive cruise control, do you? and I do have the R on the tread plates. I replaced the center caps because there were too many R's all over! I love the monochromatic grey look now.

My original "R side emblems" were very worn, so I bought a set from Mina Gallery, but they are smaller, a different shape and the R font is different as well,,,,so I sourced an original OEM set, and will replace when they arrive...

Mine was built in 2005.

I currently have 95,000 miles on it, it is my daily driver. I sometimes forget something at the store as an excuse to get in the cat and drive some more. It has a Quicksilver exhaust

I replaced the front brakes with Mintex pads, and the rear with Akebono. LOVE the Akebono more for sure. New Brembo drilled rotors are going to be put on soon...expensive!

I have the BBS wheel kit...and I do like the Detroit wheels. I know how expensive and scarce they are, so I took out an insurance rider on them for damage, loss, theft...etc...

I did not buy this car for resale value, but to love it, and enjoy it...so I am changing little things here and there...nothing drastic. but next will be antenna delete so it stays down when I am using the cd changer...
I would also like to add LED illumination to the J Gate...

I tightened all the dash squeaks, with a $2 tube of waterproof silicone gel from the aquarium store...

I LOVE the look of a black on black XKR, but park in my driveway, so the upkeep would drive me mad. Yours is stunning!

Old 03-22-2017, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by fmertz
Good for you to keep the growler theme. It feels so much more "correct" for our cars.
I do miss seeing a leaper on the bonnet, but it just doesn't look right on the XKR...

Old 03-22-2017, 04:10 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

I have an 03 XKR Convertible in Zircon with R package. My cars build sheet says they came with Detroit wheels but currently I have Arris 18" on there. Frankly, I prefer the 18" wheels so I'm happy. Not sure when the wheels were swapped (maybe at original sale). I also have silver Brembo calipers.

I like your center caps. I'm thinking of doing something like these retro logo ones from XKs Unlimited. I'd also like to paint the calipers (yellow or red?) from their existing silver and have it match that lettering.

I am de-led lighting my car. They just don't seem to work right. They stay on too long after power off or are wrong temperature.

Oh and please no Leapers on these XKs. I saw one on an FType-- it was not good.

Keep up the good work.

Attached Thumbnails i can't sleep...2005 XKR-img_5197.png  
The following users liked this post:
prettybluefin (03-22-2017)
Old 03-22-2017, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
I have an 03 XKR Convertible in Zircon with R package. My cars build sheet says they came with Detroit wheels but currently I have Arris 18" on there. Frankly, I prefer the 18" wheels so I'm happy. Not sure when the wheels were swapped (maybe at original sale). I also have silver Brembo calipers.

I like your center caps. I'm thinking of doing something like these retro logo ones from XKs Unlimited. I'd also like to paint the calipers (yellow or red?) from their existing silver and have it match that lettering.

I am de-led lighting my car. They just don't seem to work right. They stay on too long after power off or are wrong temperature.

Oh and please no Leapers on these XKs. I saw one on an FType-- it was not good.

Keep up the good work.
thank you! it's super fun to do little things to change it up. the "purists" hate that i drilled out my R center caps, but oh well, it's my baby...

i LOVE zircon! (let me know if you ever want to sell)
personally, i think the grey/chrome leapers like mine would look super hot with zircon. the shade of blue is so subtle, the red or yellow might look out of place. just my opinion... i almost went with a different center cap, but like the all grey look...

i was super confused about the LED's still having a faint glow when i changed the side markers to them. but they look so much nicer, and don't get hot. perhaps your voltage is too high? mine has a soft glow, but it goes away in about 30 mins...do you have pics of your interior LED's?
I am doing my Jgate, and Instrument Cluster LED soon...possibly the footwells depending on the wiring situation...

and i would never put a leaper on the XKR. it looks nice and clean as is.

Old 03-22-2017, 10:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Exclamation

Graham, Would you be kind enough to answer my question? "Where did you get this information concerning the 4.2-S having been a 2005 Model of the XKR and that it came with the White Growler? In addition, what additional "Perks" were done to the Engine to make the "XKR-S" an "S"? Also, were they sold in Texas? Hee-Hee!

Billy Clyde in Texas

Old 03-23-2017, 02:14 PM

someone asked me to post a pic of the Mina emblem vs OEM. (Mina is top)

I am replacing mine back to OEM, so if anyone is looking for the Mina ones, PM me.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:35 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

someone asked me to post a pic of the Mina emblem vs OEM. (Mina is top)

I am replacing mine back to OEM, so if anyone is looking for the Mina ones, PM me.

You buying new oem ones? Are they just stuck on or bolted?

Old 03-23-2017, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by dsd
You buying new oem ones? Are they just stuck on or bolted?
both use heavy duty 3M tape. i believe the originals have been the only ones on the car, and that tape is strong! I used dental floss to slice through it, coconut oil to loosen residue, then rubbing alcohol to clean it up before applying the Mina badges...

I have new OEM ones on the way, have been waiting over 3 weeks now, coming from the UK.

Old 03-23-2017, 05:34 PM
Veteran Member

Bluefin, Always use the "Real Thing" on your Jag....No one can make it look as good as the real thing! My "R"'s both look about like yours and I also have ordered new ones from SNG Barratt. They are suppose to be like the original but I will let you know when I receive them!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by bcprice36
Bluefin, Always use the "Real Thing" on your Jag....No one can make it look as good as the real thing! My "R"'s both look about like yours and I also have ordered new ones from SNG Barratt. They are suppose to be like the original but I will let you know when I receive them!

Billy Clyde in Houston
i usually only use OEM, but this was my mistake, as I did not look close enough as the size and font differences between them. Most may not care, but it bugs me. Hopefully the originals will arrive soon... Can't wait to see your clear markers. Did you start on them yet?

Old 03-27-2017, 02:23 PM

nervous, excited, full of adrenaline, sweaty, white-knuckled & happy driving the canyons in LA...still getting used to the Brembos...put 300 miles on her over the weekend.

Matthew Chidester (04-11-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nervous, excited, full of adrenaline, sweaty, white-knuckled & happy driving the canyons in LA...still getting used to the Brembos...put 300 miles on her over the weekend.
California canyons are the best, aren't they? Hopefully going to do some canyon bombing myself this weekend near Markleeville, but we have to worry over snow up this far

Old 03-31-2017, 06:20 PM
Veteran Member
Smile

i usually only use OEM, but this was my mistake, as I did not look close enough as the size and font differences between them. Most may not care, but it bugs me. Hopefully the originals will arrive soon... Can't wait to see your clear markers. Did you start on them yet?
Pretty Ms. Bluefin, My "R"'s came in and they look great @$20 bucks a piece!After I ordered them...I called and asked, as they had some that cost $40.00 a piece, to what the difference was between the two.....His answer was that the $40.00 ones are Jaguar originals......I've compared mine against the ones on the XKR and they look the same to me......So go ahead and order a pair, they're good!

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 03-31-2017, 06:27 PM

billy, my replacement R"s arrived, and were put on last week. super nice quality, right?

Old 03-31-2017, 06:46 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Now I want new emblems....

Old 03-31-2017, 07:23 PM

little, inexpensive upgrades really refresh the car. do it, dsd

Old 03-31-2017, 07:34 PM
Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

These LA canyons? Angeles Crest, or the Topanga, and Malibu Canyons

Old 03-31-2017, 07:51 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice photos thanks for sharing those

prettybluefin (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julian Black

These LA canyons? Angeles Crest, or the Topanga, and Malibu Canyons
malibu canyon & the hills up mulholland. lots of traffic there, though!