XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I really need to know!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I really need to know!!!

Ok guys. I really need to know something. I found a 1997 XK8 with 30K miles on it. It has been stored indoors for about 8 years without being touched. I love this car, but I've been told that the engine may be ruined. It runs good.

Is this car OK? If it is ok, how much should I pay? If it is ruined, how much to fix it?

I hope this isn't a stupid question.

Thanks,

NCW

Old 02-21-2013, 06:06 PM
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

You might get better informed replies if you post this in the XK8/XKR forum. But I'm sure there are some knowledgeable folks here who can also advise you.

Mike

Old 02-21-2013, 06:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

I hope one of the moderators will move this to the correct XK8/XKR group.

If it is running well, the engine is unlikely ruined.

That being said, this car is going to need some attention. First there are plastic chain tensioners in the engine that need to be replaced. They deteriorate, and IF they fail THEN the engine will be ruined.

Any car sitting for eight years will need a lot of maintenance work: new battery, new tires, all ALL new fluids at a minimum. There also may be some leaks and hoses, bushings and other rubber parts that need to be inspected for deterioration. This should be factored into whatever you pay for the car.

Your best bet is to get an inspection at a Jag shop. You need to go into this with yours eyes open: despite the low miles, you will not be buying a trouble free car. Cars actually usually fare better when they are driven regularly.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 02-21-2013 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 06:33 PM
Received 4,180 Likes on 3,643 Posts

nice find and agree with White XKR! Good luck

Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
GGG
Received 16,796 Likes on 12,166 Posts

Welcome to the forum newcatwoman,

(I've moved your question from XK/XKR 2006 onwards section to XK8/XKR 1996 -2006 section.)

No such thing as a stupid question when it comes to assessing a used Jaguar and you'll get plenty of advice here.

Graham

Old 02-21-2013, 07:08 PM
Received 126 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteXKR
I hope one of the moderators will move this to the correct XK8/XKR group.

If it is running well, the engine is unlikely ruined.

That being said, this car is going to need some attention. First there are plastic chain tensioners in the engine that need to be replaced. They deteriorate, and IF they fail THEN the engine will be ruined.

Any car sitting for eight years will need a lot of maintenance work: new battery, new tires, all ALL new fluids at a minimum. There also may be some leaks and hoses, bushings and other rubber parts that need to be inspected for deterioration. This should be factored into whatever you pay for the car.

Your best bet is to get an inspection at a Jag shop. You need to go into this with yours eyes open: despite the low miles, you will not be buying a trouble free car. Cars actually usually fare better when they are driven regularly.
+1

You need to get it checked out by someone who knows Jags. Much better to have problems addressed now rather than being left on side of the highway a few times while you encounter them one by one.

The car would actually be in better shape if it had been driven moderately over the years, rather than sitting up.

The following users liked this post:
newcatwomen (02-21-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

It might be ruined but it runs good...

I don't know if I can tell you if your oddly shaped boxy thing with 4 circley spongy roundy things on the bottom that move is good or not. I tried squinting but all I saw was squarish colory things on the flat thing in front of me so it was hard to decide if you're ok or not.

Sorry, couldn't help it. :\

You really need to have a competent mechanic inspect the vehicle to tell you if there are any major issues if you're not familiar with vehicle operation or routine maintenance/inspection.

If the motor is in need of replacement any price you pay is probably too much considering all the other things that may be an issue.

A 97 left sitting for 8 years may have a lot of potential issues. Tires probably have flat spots, so those will need replacing. You might need new shocks, you might need new bushings... you might not. If the engine is running fine, it might need transmission work or whatever else that kept it in the garage for all those years.

The info you have is that it's been sitting in a garage for 8 years untouched... for some reason. There's not a whole lot to work with there.

If you get it for free, yeah, it'll probably be worth fixing the problems if you do it yourself.

If you're having a shop do all the work, the pre 2003 XK's can be money pits. Many of them aren't, but undoubtedly quite a few are.

Without more info, you can't even really speculate... all anyone can do is make blind guesses.

Sorry if that comes across as harsh or rude, but your post kinda reads like an AAMCO commercial.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Jaguars of this age, even if they are free, are best owned by hobby mechanics.

The following users liked this post:
Lanny (02-22-2013)
Old 02-21-2013, 09:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Figures.... a Californian.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

And I forgot to mention, and 97 XK8 coupe in absolutely pristine condition and full working order lists a little over 11k at Kelly Blue Book for a Private Party Transaction. Dealer lot price is listed at $13k. Those prices are much higher than you would actually be able to buy/sell one for.

EDIT:

My apologies. I didn't register your screen name has "women" in it until after this reply. The sarcastic part sounds especially horrible with this info. I don't know what to say without digging myself deeper. So hate me for being sarcastic, that's in my nature, but I honestly was trying to be genuinely helpful.

Last edited by xenophobe; 02-21-2013 at 09:59 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:49 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I always wonder why someone would buy a car and then have it sitting in a garage for 8 years.

Doug

Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.
Please take time to visit
New Member Area - Intro a MUST - Jaguar Forums - Jaguar Enthusiasts Forum
and introduce yourself so we can all say 'Hello'

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Pre-purchase inspection is where a bonified Jaguar dealer shines in my opinion. For $150 or so they find everything from cupholders to blown engines. The prices to fix will be estimated higher than most independent shops but you can then make an informed decision about what is actually important to you. If you don't want to do most of the repairs yourself my guess is you will need more repairs in the next 12 months than this car will be worth in terms of $. The 1997 was early in the production cycle and prone to problems that were corrected in later years as Jag got more feedback about the vehicle. Good luck to you, they are a lot of fun!

Old 02-22-2013, 08:55 AM
Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I have to agree with Test Point. If you are the type of person who likes the challenge of repairing and maintaining a vehicle, then the Jag may be right for you. If not, and you have to pay for every little thing, probably not.
My youngest son said it best when I bought my 2002 XK8. He said,"Dad, it is a good thing it was you that bought this car". What he meant is most anyone else would have just written it off.
Good luck. I do love my Jag in spite of the issues.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I always wonder why someone would buy a car and then have it sitting in a garage for 8 years.

Doug
Death, disability, divorce, prison, bankrupt, needs new engine..........finding out the reason is very helpful. The truth is sometimes elusive with car sellers.
Try for the newest you can afford, unless you're in love and can stand the pain or challenge keeping it going. Maybe the prior owner was a Jag Lover who did all the upgrades, maybe not. That pre-purchase inspection is everything, as noted by the experts above.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:43 AM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Agreed, get it checked out (PPI) by a local independent Jag shop. A Jag dealer would be fine, but the prices you'll get quoted from them will scare you off. At an independent Jag shop, the damage will be more reasonable, comparitively speaking. It'll be the best $100-150 you'll spend. If it runs well and a reputable shop is nearby, maybe drive it there and plan to spend an hour or two waiting while they check it over. If it's kinda far away, pay for a tow there to be safe. Maybe the seller can help you with this (best bet).

Doing the PPI on mine actually uncovered a lot of big maintenence that had already been done in the last couple years, which made my decision easy, so my experience thus far in the last 2 months (knock on that beautiful wood) has been largely trouble-free. I hope as close to the same for you as possible... as we need more females in here! Cheers and good luck.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:52 PM
Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Two major things to worry about when a vehicle has been stored for that long:

*Rubber rot
*Condensation

Plan on replacing everything rubber, from vacuum hoses to wheel seals, and that alone could get pretty expensive.

Condensation plays havoc on items such as rusted brake mechanisms, pitting within the transmission and the engine block, a breakdown of the polished cylinder walls and piston rings, and even destroying the water pump.

Here's the good news:

Outside of the engine block and transmission pitting (which even if it was present within the engine, it wouldn't necessarily affect the engine performance. Transmission...now that's another story), there's a pretty good chance that the other items I listed would need to be replaced even if the car had been driven over the last 8 years just from normal wear and tear.

As previously stated from other posters... if you're looking for something that requires little maintenance, Jag's probably aren't the vehicle of choice, but if the price is right on this one, by all means have it checked by a qualified mechanic and go for it if they give it a 'thumbs-up'. That's a rare find!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

I found an '81 Volvo Bertone Coupe stored in a barn in Tennessee for 19 years with only 25k actual miles. Perfect condition . . . except for what age had done to it. Now, $1400 later, I can tell you that fuel systems do not enjoy sitting there for very long periods of time. I have replaced the tank, both pumps, the fuel distributor and all injectors due to rust from the tank condensation.

. . . and that $1400 is parts only.

Last edited by test point; 02-22-2013 at 08:04 PM.