Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm in love...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts
Default I'm in love...

I know this isn't the 2007+ XK forum, but those guys don't know me over there. I am becoming more and more enamored with the XK coupes. This one is for sale on cars.com for under $40K:

I know I'm going to eventually buy one of these. It's just a matter of how long I can hold out for the price to come down.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I like the new XK, but I think it needs a nose job. I'll stick with my Gen 1 for now.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They definitely look meaner and racier. Why are the headlights black?

Old 11-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,259 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by 2000CAXK8
They definitely look meaner and racier. Why are the headlights black?
I think that owner just tinted them. I've seen others and I didn't notice tinted headlights. I think the car looks better with the shiny silver headlights, personally.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Sam,

Drive it first. I know you will. It is a pretty different ride than the XK8. Different seating position, you sit higher and more in a seated position than a lounge position. You'll be happy with the performance. I had one for a 1,000 mile drive and it is different.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thing I like best about the newer XK8-Rs is the rear end. Taking more cues from the Aston Martin DB7/DB9 was a very good choice by Jaguar. I like the Gen 1 XK8-R front ends and curves better.

I guess it doesn't really matter 'cause I don't have over $30k to throw at one

You know, I don't really understand why the resale value on these cars is so incredibly poor. My 2001 XKR Convertible was less expensive than a 2001 Corvette. My XKR rides nicer, is more comfortable, just as quick, way more sexy, and more versatile. Granted, I'd get smoked if I was racing against a Z06, but the base C5 'Vette I'd hold my own.

Old 11-17-2010, 03:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by EvilKell
The thing I like best about the newer XK8-Rs is the rear end. Taking more cues from the Aston Martin DB7/DB9 was a very good choice by Jaguar. I like the Gen 1 XK8-R front ends and curves better.

I guess it doesn't really matter 'cause I don't have over $30k to throw at one

You know, I don't really understand why the resale value on these cars is so incredibly poor. My 2001 XKR Convertible was less expensive than a 2001 Corvette. My XKR rides nicer, is more comfortable, just as quick, way more sexy, and more versatile. Granted, I'd get smoked if I was racing against a Z06, but the base C5 'Vette I'd hold my own.
I also think that the best design feature of the new XK is the rear up to about the middle of the door. I wonder if some clever forum member could photoshop the front end from our generation XK8/XKR to the newer XK to see what would result.

When I was shopping for a new car to replace my 14 year old Corvette, I was also astounded to find how cheaply one could pick up a used XK8/XKR. Based on my budget at the time back in 2008, I was looking at either new Infiniti G37 Coupe or BMW 335i Coupe. These were really at the high end of my budget since there was no way either of these would have been much less than about $45K-$50K out-the-door. I saw any number of low mileage used XK8 that were only a couple of years old for much less than that, and XKR was only slightly more. To me it was no contest whether to get a prestigious high-end automobile that originally stickered for upwards of $75K versus a new Infiniti or BMW. Doug

Old 11-17-2010, 05:05 PM
Location: Capitola, Calif - beach town - sunny side of Monterey Bay
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BUY IT! It's gotta have fewer problems than your current XK8.

Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
I also think that the best design feature of the new XK is the rear up to about the middle of the door. I wonder if some clever forum member could photoshop the front end from our generation XK8/XKR to the newer XK to see what would result.
I was thinking of doing just that. Maybe I will give it a try.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Veteran Member

Here is a quick shot in profile. When I get a chance to find better sources tomorrow I can do a better front quarter shot.

Attached Thumbnails I'm in love...-qwikside.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

I personally like the looks of the gen 1 rear end on the front of the gen 1. Gen 2 rear end doesn't quite look right on the gen 1 front. I also like the looks of the new XK's They are meaner looking, but they kind of loose the styling of the XKE's styling Q's Of course this is only my opinion.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 11-17-2010, 06:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by K.Westra
Here is a quick shot in profile. When I get a chance to find better sources tomorrow I can do a better front quarter shot.

Hey Keith--pretty slick work. Actually, the resulting fantasy car looks pretty good.

Doug

Old 11-17-2010, 08:57 PM
Received 2,183 Likes on 1,355 Posts

I love the new 2011 XKR coupe. we have 1 in today black on black with black wheels, red calipers and red stiching....If only with a 6spd stick
but a btter choice for me if so inclined would be an 07 XKR with a Avos twin screw setup

Attached Thumbnails I'm in love...-jaguar_xkr_75_images_main.jpg   I'm in love...-2011-jaguar-xkr-wheels-588x441.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 01:45 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

I am not a fan of the new XK, I like the profile, the bodyline is good.....I hate the lights with a passion!

The front lights look borrowed from a Hyundai Coupe and the rears from a VW Passat.
I will have to get into them at some point I cannot play with X100s forever, perhaps I will look at a few light conversions

Old 11-18-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I think the new xk's are much more beautiful coupes while the gen 1's are much more beautiful as convertibles

Old 11-23-2010, 11:30 AM

@ SeismicGuy: I wonder if some clever forum member could photoshop the front end from our generation XK8/XKR to the newer XK to see what would result.
Your wish is my command!

I was also eager to see how a crossbreed XK would come about.. & now i know... & its not right! Both are obviously in a different league of their own in design perspectives.. one being more elegant than the other. the other being more racy than the first. Both still are stunning to look at but personally i prefer the older XK aesthetically speaking.

Attached Thumbnails I'm in love...-jag-xk-crossbreed-b.jpg   I'm in love...-jag-xk-cross-breed-.jpg  
Old 11-23-2010, 11:41 AM

@2002xk8Orlando: I think the new xk's are much more beautiful coupes while the gen 1's are much more beautiful as convertibles
Very much Spot on! But i have the XKR '04 coupe. I still love the coupe wether id be the current or the older version. The only convertible that was designed perfectly amongst jaguar sports cars are the e-types. The current Jag XK's rear on the coupe are gorgeous!! I just hate it when it is compared to an aston though it is a complement and both were designed by Ian Callum to begin with but id expect people to like it more because it is a jag rather than a reminiscent one from another car.

I love the way the 97-05 XK design on the front esp the hood though. The way Geoff Lawson sculpted the hood, the curves coming from both sides from the windshield down to the front end.. the way the light bounces and reflects those lines are just stunning, and it don't show much on photos. I never get tired of looking at the front from almost any angle which truly came (as Geoff Lawson said) directly from Jaguar DNA.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:29 PM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002XK8Orlando
I think the new xk's are much more beautiful coupes while the gen 1's are much more beautiful as convertibles
Not sure I would agree.....but then again I am not a convertible fan...I love the coupes in both MK1 and 2 guises, but then again if I lived in the sunnier climbs of southern cal I might have a different approach, here in the UK you would be lucky to get a matter of 10 days a year of good enough weather to warrant a roof off affair, anything more will require some kind of accomodation.

I think I have come the closest to produce a 'cross breed' of the 2 Mks in reality

But it really is a personal taste and what appeals to one will not appeal to another

Old 11-23-2010, 03:48 PM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

The only problem with the newer cars is the tailight from the side view looks like a Camaro.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:54 PM
Default amen

Originally Posted by SeismicGuy
When I was shopping for a new car to replace my 14 year old Corvette, I was also astounded to find how cheaply one could pick up a used XK8/XKR. Based on my budget at the time back in 2008, I was looking at either new Infiniti G37 Coupe or BMW 335i Coupe. These were really at the high end of my budget since there was no way either of these would have been much less than about $45K-$50K out-the-door. I saw any number of low mileage used XK8 that were only a couple of years old for much less than that, and XKR was only slightly more. To me it was no contest whether to get a prestigious high-end automobile that originally stickered for upwards of $75K versus a new Infiniti or BMW. Doug
Doug, this is *exactly* the decision process I just went through! Looking at new Audi A5s, Infiniti G37s, and BMW 335i's, then found the XKs and XKRs... oh, my! I was in love and that was that. I'm shopping now - hope to be in one within the next two weeks.

Quick Reply: I'm in love...