XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infant car seat for XK8 sold in US

Old 02-23-2017, 11:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infant car seat for XK8 sold in US

I have a 2002 XK8 and a baby coming in July. What are my options for lie-flat baby seats that could be put sideways on rear seats in addition to Britax Baby-Safe Sleeper (not sold in US) and Jane Matrix Light 2 (possibly not sold in US)?

- It will be a temporary solution until the baby is 4 months old the latest
- I'll be buying X350 in the fall, it would be nice if the seat could be used as both (lie-flat and rear-facing seat (like e.g. Jane Matrix Light 2))
- Are lie-flat side facing seats that are seen in UK and Europe legal in US?
- If I'm just going to order a seat from UK are there any customs fees I need to worry about?

Old 02-23-2017, 11:32 PM
dsd
Veteran Member
Received 326 Likes on 231 Posts

Congrats!

I have never seen a lie flat. My guess is they are not legal in the US. A rear facing seat is what you need.

In a real pinch, you can get a air bag kill switch installed and use the front seat. I did this when my two seater was my daily.

Best!
dsd

Old 02-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,486 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by dsd
you can get a air bag kill switch installed and use the front seat.
Isn't this feature already there? In the bottom left corner of the "wood" panel above the glove box, there should be a light that indicates if the airbag is active or not. It is only supposed to activate if a minimum weight is detected on the front seat, I believe. Worth checking into, I suppose.

Old 02-24-2017, 12:31 PM
dsd
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by fmertz
Isn't this feature already there? In the bottom left corner of the "wood" panel above the glove box, there should be a light that indicates if the airbag is active or not. It is only supposed to activate if a minimum weight is detected on the front seat, I believe. Worth checking into, I suppose.
Yes, there is a sensor but the weight requirement is questionable. A true on/off would be a safer bet. There is a NTSB form to fill out and then you can get one installed.

Old 02-24-2017, 10:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, dsd!

But anyway, this doesn't look good so far. XK8 has been the only car for a long time now and it took lots of convincing to keep it I may have to take a trip back to LA sooner to get a nice XJ8 for a family car... or get the Britax from Europe while there in April.

Anyone tried rear-facing seat on passenger seat with 5'7" wife on rear seat?

Old 02-24-2017, 11:18 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

as a mom, i can confirm that a baby must be in a rear-facing seat until i believe 2 years of age...then they need a booster seat until a certain weight. i believe that the child can be placed in the front if there is no back seat, but must be rear-facing...

you DO NOT want to be stopped by an officer without the proper child restraint system in place, as they consider it "putting a child's life in severe danger"
im in California, but you may want to stop by your local PD with your car to ask...

here is more info:
https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/dcs-child-restraint-law

Old 02-24-2017, 11:23 PM
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts

also, car seats (i had a Britax) are HUGE and bulky. I have an XKR, can can't imagine it would fit properly in it. your seats would have to be moved up alot...and we all know about the lack of back seat space already...test a seat out first to see what I mean.

XJ8's are gorgeous and much safer for a baby i think... If i were expecting, I would feel MUCH safer in a sedan vs. coupe.
best wishes on the baby!

Old 02-25-2017, 08:40 AM
dsd
Veteran Member

Here is what I did on my Ferrari when it was my daily. I don't think the company I used (URL on device) is around anymore. I think the X100's rear seats are probably too small to use and have a passenger.

I think you may want to accelerate your x350 acquisition.

Best!

Attached Thumbnails Infant car seat for XK8 sold in US-dscf1238.jpg   Infant car seat for XK8 sold in US-0508071743.jpg  
Old 02-25-2017, 04:32 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

I remember when researching for my grandson's arrival that Jaguar says child seats are not to be used in the XK8 for safety reasons. He had to wait until age 7 for a ride in the XK8.
Check the drivers handbook.