Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed Xenon Headlights in my '97

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Veteran Member
Received 491 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Installed Xenon Headlights in my '97

Tonight I installed a pair of xenon HID lamps in the Jag; and I just came back from a drive down a dark country road to adjust them. They are fantastic! I cannot believe the amount of light generated by a 35 watt xenon lamp. Also the focused edges are super sharp. My OEM lamps must have been really old, because the difference is very dramatic!

The best part is the complete package cost only $40. I got them off eBay from a seller named "kickxtc" (13695 sales) w/ near 100%. The cost was $6.99; and shipping was $33 LOL.

I would not suggest doing this project with the headlight buckets in the fenders. At least not for anyone doing this for the first time. There is too much detail work inside the back of the bucket. The new lamp needs to be reconnected with new wires, and the spring clip needs to be removed and refastened. It is much easier doing this project on a work bench. However, I had recently removed both headlight assys as part of the bumper cover fix, so it was easy to pull them out again. This time only the splash panel underneath was removed. Access to the bottom bolt was limited, but not that difficult.

I didn't take any pics, but here is a video I used to install the lamps and ballasts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpCM4r8NqE

Our low beam uses the H1 lamp, and I got the 5000K (4300k) temp lamp which is closest to an OEM xenon. There is a little blue, but basically it just looks like daylight. Again, I cannot get over how much more light is thrown out by these kits. And for $40 and a couple of hours, for me it is a no-brainer.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

GordoCatCar: Did you have to drill a 1" hold into the back of the cap that covers the back of the dip buib so you can pass the wires through?

Old 03-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GreenJewel
GordoCatCar: Did you have to drill a 1" hold into the back of the cap that covers the back of the dip buib so you can pass the wires through?
Yes, I used a 1" flat blade drill bit which fit the grommet supplied by the kit. The plastic is easy to cut.

Locating a mounting for the ballasts were the most difficult part of the project. The pass side was mounted high on the fender well; and the drivers side is tucked down below the plastic cover and brake lines (abs pump?)

Old 03-06-2010, 04:02 AM

I can drill the hole and connect the wires to the bulb inside of the case but I can't find the OEM power source. I have 1 plug that plugs into the headlight case and it has 4 wires to it. I found the main harness that has the wires to the side markers but still no two wire female OEM power plug.

I took the wheel off and the inner fender liner out and I still can't find a two wire power plug. Where did you get your power from?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:40 AM
Veteran Member

I can't visualize which wires you are describing. Can you post pics?

You do not need to access the main power supply, only the one connector per side that plugs into the rear of the headlight assy. When ou remove the old bulb, disconnect it from the two wires (one with a 90 degree connector). These are connected to two new single connector leads from the xenon kit. Tape the connections to avoid a short.

These two original leads, which connected to the original halogen bulbs (which powered the low beams), are now being routed through the xenon kit, and then back again into the new xenon bulb. It is like a closed loop, and a self contained circuit to the xenon install, ei. The 'power supply' from the car goes into the ballast connector, and the power from the ballast goes into the new xenon bulbs. When you are finished, the original four wire power supply connector to the headlight assy, plugs back right back into its original socket on the rear of the headlight assy.

Are you sure you have an H-1 Kit, as defined by the bulb? There are two connector prongs from the bulb that are connected to the two (different colored) wires w/ slip on connectors...

I learned from watching a variety of different install videos... the general connector sequence is the same for all setups, except bi-xenon (means both the high and low beams).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGpCM4r8NqE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEZgs...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEZgsLfdmik

Last edited by GordoCatCar; 03-06-2010 at 08:06 AM.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 AM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Great project Gordo, need to see some pics of the new beam pattern, how about against a white garage door? 5000k is a perfect choice too!

Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I mounted my ballasts right under neath the headlamp connecter. the fit into a pocket there worked great.

Last edited by XKR Brian; 03-07-2010 at 10:37 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:19 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

ooops failed attempt to post a picture. I will figure it out and retry.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:15 PM

Gordo: Ahhhhhhhhhhh I see my mistake!! I was doing a dry run before I drilled that 1" hole into the cover, just to make sure everything was okay. The male plug end that goes through that 1" hole plugs into the capacitor that's plugged into the ballast. My brain must be winter waterlogged!

I'm going to install them today. I'll take some pictures. I'm going to free up the front half of the inner wheel liner so I have more room to work to mount the ballast box.

Thanks alot for the help! While reading your reply message a light when off in my head and I got the picture. Oh wait that's not a light, it's the sun and it's visable 3 months early this year!!

Last edited by GreenJewel; 03-07-2010 at 12:23 PM.