XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 03:18 PM
Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system

I have a 97 XK8 with the Harman Kardon stereo system. I found out that you can only use the wires associated to the power on the PC2-55-4 Jaguar XJ XK Radio Harness adaptor. You have to wire the speakers from by passing the amplifier which was too much of a task for me so I had a local car stereo installation place handle the task. In the end I could only connect four of the eight speakers to the aftermarket stereo because of the ohms. I plan to install an amp to get all eight speakers going. Anyways thats just FYI for those of you thinking of upgrading who have the amplified system. Heres a picture of it - i got the stereo off of ebay for $100. Its a no namer from china but works exellent - 7 inch screen, bluetooth calling and audio with radio, analog tv (have to buy converter to get the tv working) - reverse camera, usb, sd card slot, etc... One last note - this is the D1308 Milion - I recommend the Eonon brand which is the same product but the higher end of the brand. Reason being that it has the option of setting the Jaguar logo when you turn the radio on...

Attached Thumbnails Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-cam00497.jpg  
Old 01-17-2014, 08:52 AM
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice. Were you able to find the adapter to get the steering wheel controls working? It matters which head unit you have - not sure if that adapter is available for a no-name brand from China, but maybe.

Old 01-18-2014, 10:41 AM
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey BurgXK8 - i was in Tokyo Oct 2012 at a wedding - i was talking to a chap who said he was a surgeon - i asked him what car he had - he said a Prius - my exact words were - Life's too short to drive a Prius - you should have a Jaguar!
Here i am 15 months later living the dream
I should try to send him a picture.

The following users liked this post:
BurgXK8 (01-18-2014)
Old 01-20-2014, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by BurgXK8
Nice. Were you able to find the adapter to get the steering wheel controls working? It matters which head unit you have - not sure if that adapter is available for a no-name brand from China, but maybe.
The stereo does have a steering wheel control option but I havent looked for the adapter to have it installed.

Having the 7" screen will make the road trips just a bit shorter for the atleast the passenger. I got to keep my eyes on the road.. but its a nice addition...

Old 01-24-2014, 03:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by lunaticpro
The stereo does have a steering wheel control option but I havent looked for the adapter to have it installed.

Having the 7" screen will make the road trips just a bit shorter for the atleast the passenger. I got to keep my eyes on the road.. but its a nice addition...
Does your stereo hit the shifter as it's opening / closing?

Ive been thinking about redoing the stereo in my Arden XK8 and happen to have a dual 7" flipout screen with nav on the shelf.... I thought the screen would be too obtrusive, but seeing your setup, it's not.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

George

Old 01-25-2014, 02:38 PM
Received 674 Likes on 487 Posts
Default Shifter

I put in a flip screen in my first XK8 and it hit the shifter if it was in park. If I were to do it over again I'd relocate the switches down and put the unit on top of them to avoid this problem. On my XKR I relocated the second row of switches first to the glove box (which wasn't convenient) and then to the center console (better). This worked far better. Granted that was just a start as I've since replaced the amps, all of the speakers, and replaced the rear seat with subwoofers. But the car sounds amazing.

Attached Thumbnails Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-p1000404.jpg  
Old 01-25-2014, 02:43 PM
Default Here's a better picture

OK that picture was crap, here is a better one. I also added a picture of the subs and the flip screen on the old XK8.

Attached Thumbnails Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-wp_20130318_009.jpg   Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-wp_20130608_021.jpg   Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-imgp0437.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
androulakis (01-25-2014)
Old 01-25-2014, 03:16 PM
Veteran Member
Received 505 Likes on 257 Posts

The reason I like the flip screen idea is that to most people it just looks like a cheapie head unit when it's closed. Very convienent for leaving the top down when parked or parking in general. Plus I happen to have one here that I'm not using.

I like your relocation of the second row of buttons to the console.. .That looks like it worked out well. Any close up pics of the actual fit of the double din frame.

Decisions decisions LOL....

Take care,

George

Old 01-25-2014, 03:33 PM
Default Double DIN

Originally Posted by androulakis
The reason I like the flip screen idea is that to most people it just looks like a cheapie head unit when it's closed. Very convienent for leaving the top down when parked or parking in general. Plus I happen to have one here that I'm not using.

I like your relocation of the second row of buttons to the console.. .That looks like it worked out well. Any close up pics of the actual fit of the double din frame.

Decisions decisions LOL....

Take care,

George

No shots, I had this done, but I did drop in and once the switches were relocated their was plenty of room. Not enough for the large screen Alpine which was a shame (would have had to relocate the second set of switches and didn't want to do that). Here is a shot of the switches.

Attached Thumbnails Installing an aftermarket stereo on a stock amplified system-wp_20130608_024.jpg  
Old 01-28-2014, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by androulakis
Does your stereo hit the shifter as it's opening / closing?

Ive been thinking about redoing the stereo in my Arden XK8 and happen to have a dual 7" flipout screen with nav on the shelf.... I thought the screen would be too obtrusive, but seeing your setup, it's not.

Let me know and we'll go from there.

Thanks,

George
Hey George,

The screen does hit the shifter when its on park so I just keep it closed until im driving....