XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Instrument Cluster Bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Instrument Cluster Bulbs

I am new to this form and to the world of Jaguars, so please forgive any incorrect usage and provide direction as I would like to make good use of this Form.

I have found lots of info on removal and replacing of the bulbs in the instrument cluster. My question(s) deal with the additional steps not necessarily included but may be eluded to. More than likely these have been addressed several times, if so I apologize and maybe you could direct me to the link(s).

On the 2005 XK8
Is it mandatory to disconnect the battery?
What programming is lost when disconnecting the battery to replace the bulbs?
How do I reprogram these settings?

Old 07-06-2014, 11:24 AM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

IMO to just replace bulbs you don't have to disconnect the battery however it is good practice when doing anything electrical to disconnect power.

After disconnecting the battery you will need to reset the windows, seat memory functions and possibly the radio presets.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Additional info after replacing your dash bulbs

#1: No, you do not need to disconnect the BTY. "BUT", to get the steering wheel to stay out and down, leave the key in the ignition after adjusting, then disconnect the BTY.

#2: The programing that will be lost are as mentioned above--if you do disconnect the Bty.

#3: To reset the windows. Best to be in a very quite place. Push the down button on the window and hold it until the window goes down and listen for a little "click". Then push the up button and hold it until you here another little "click". Done! Now do the other side.

#4: Use your owner's hand book to re-program the steering wheel and seat memory and anything else that may program--side mirrow --if programable etc.

#5: You won't need a radio code on an 05, so a non issue.

Chuck
05/XJ8L & XK8 conv.

Last edited by Chuck Schexnayder; 07-07-2014 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Forgot to ad a "But"
Old 07-06-2014, 03:33 PM
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

#5: You won't need a radio code on an 05, so a non issue.

Chuck
05/XJ8L & XK8 conv.[/QUOTE]

My 05 asks for the radio code every time i disconnect the batt ?

Old 07-06-2014, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

It is not necessary to change the bulbs, but if you decide to unplug the instrument cluster from the two wiring harnesses it is highly advisable to disconnect the battery.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:34 AM

Thanks to all.
Question to WhiteXKR on reply.
" It is not necessary to change the bulbs, but if you decide to unplug the instrument cluster from the two wiring harnesses it is highly advisable to disconnect the battery."

If you do not disconnect how would one remove the cluster to access the bulbs?

I also saw on one thread that one should never turn the cluster over. Unfortuantly they did not say what would happen if you did.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Received 188 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Radio Code

smithtrevor,

Don't know what to tell you on UK cars. I was told that on my 05 US model
, codes were not required.

One never knows about these Jaguars, things are one way here, another there. I sometimes believe Jaguar does this just to keep things happy in the ownership of these fine cars.

Cheers old chap--------

Chuck

Old 07-07-2014, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Originally Posted by 05XK8
Thanks to all.
Question to WhiteXKR on reply.
" It is not necessary to change the bulbs, but if you decide to unplug the instrument cluster from the two wiring harnesses it is highly advisable to disconnect the battery."

If you do not disconnect how would one remove the cluster to access the bulbs?

I also saw on one thread that one should never turn the cluster over. Unfortuantly they did not say what would happen if you did.

The cluster can be tilted down from the top to get access to the bulb holders on the back on most cars. Lower and extend the steering wheel as much as possible first. Mechanical tolerances and the slack in the wiring harness may vary a bit in the dashboard area, so it may not work on all cars.

You can turn the cluster over, but sometimes it causes mores bulbs to go out because the filaments get weak from age.

Last edited by WhiteXKR; 07-07-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:57 AM

All I can say is THANKS and I am glad to have found this forum.

Cheers to all.

Old 07-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

The UK spec '05 will ask you for the radio code if you disconnect the battery. if you do not have the code, just contact your nearest dealer and quote your model and the VIN number. It's a four digit code that you just punch in when prompted by the radio.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:56 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

I recently pulled my dash to install the RealGauge, Very straight forward but there was a tie wrap holding the left wiring harness to the frame, u might cut this wrap for more play.. I'd also suggest replacing ALL bulbs while there, it's a small price and save doing it again down the road..

The following users liked this post:
05XK8 (07-10-2014)
Old 07-10-2014, 10:31 AM

I find it interesting that I am unable to locate any info on what bulbs (part/bulb numbers) are required for the instrument cluster. I can find pictures of the cluster and info stating that there are at least 2 different size bulbs but not what they are. I have ask the local auto parts store, Jaguar dealer (who will sell me Their part number) only to get bring them in and we can match.

If the US could keep a secret like Jaguar keeps these bulb numbers secret there would never be any issues with unintended disclosed information.

Old 07-13-2014, 06:10 PM

I wanted to take the opportunity to thank all that contributed to my request for information regarding how to replace the bulbs in the instrument cluster of my 05 XK8. I was successful in replacing them and wanted to share a couple of my insights.
If you find yourself needing to replace the bulbs please watch the You Tube video

1) It may not be necessary to disconnect the negative terminal of the battery, however I found that without doing so it was going to be difficult to work on the backside of the instrument cluster going around/over the steering wheel. Save you some pain and frustration and plan on it.
2) I found that the wires going to the black and yellow connectors of the instrument cluster were zip-tied to the dash. You will need to cut them to extract the cluster
3) Apparently in my car the bulbs have never been replaced as the white plastic holders were tight to remove. I doubt I would have been able to remove them without breaking one if I had not removed the cluster. Once removed I used a small pair of pliers with a wide tip just big enough to fit in each of the holes in the cluster. The holders seem fragile so be sure not use a lot of force, just constant pressure.
4) There are 8 bulbs. 4 small ones and 4 medium ones. The medium take a push in bulb 194 and the smaller look like they will accept a 24 or 37 series miniature push in bulb. I went with Philips long life bulbs 194LL and Philips 24LL. The differences in the two smaller bulbs are the size 24LL is W2 x 4.6D and 3.36Watts whereas the 37LL is W2.1 x D4.9 and 1.26Watts.
5) When you get ready to install the instrument cluster don’t forget that you have a wire harness that connects to the Trip A/B odometer. When you pull out the cluster the harness slips back into the cavity and if you don’t pull it up before you install the cluster you will have to uninstall to get at it and pull it up/out to connect to the trim.
6) The only difficulty I ran into was trying to get the wood trim back in place. There are two tabs extending up from the instrument cluster and I had to work at it to get them to go back in place.
7) As for reprogramming, all I had to reprogram was the windows. Bring the driver side window down or up depending on current position and hold the button for approx. 3-5 seconds. You should hear a beep. Send the window to the opposite position and again hold the button there for 3-5 seconds until you hear the beep. Repeat on the other side. I did not have to reprogram my radio.

Hope this helps the next person.

The following users liked this post:
johns55 (07-13-2014)
Old 07-22-2014, 02:48 AM
rui
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts

hi, my 97 xk8 has lost its rev light and been thinking if you can change these lights to LED? is it possible??
I havent had time to take them apart but dont see why not.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 271 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by rui
hi, my 97 xk8 has lost its rev light and been thinking if you can change these lights to LED? is it possible??
I havent had time to take them apart but dont see why not.
Some members have but most reverted back to stock, do a search you'll find some threads..