XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intake Manifold Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intake Manifold Gaskets

Ok, I just did an intake "manifold off" replacement of heater hoses, octopus hose, etc. Everything went fine, now 2 weeks later I get a "knock sensor bank 1" code. I've read where with some deft hands and tools one can do the job without taking the intake off, but if I can't manage that, do I order new gaskets to replace the ones I just put in 2 weeks ago? The price is no big deal (only $2.02 each at Motorcarsltd.com) it's just the order time, etc. Or can they be reused?

Also, if I do have to remove the intake, is there anythign else I should do while taking care of this? Don't to make the same mistake twice!

Thanks!

And thanks to the members here I have:
Fixed my multiple coolant leaks and eventually slew the Octopus!
Fixed my door lock alarm issues
Fixed my evap valve
Fixed my ABS module
More that escape me!
Enjoyed learning a lot about my car!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 540 Likes on 421 Posts

Replace the gaskets, along with BOTH knock sensors and the two hoses that run under the manifold. Otherwise you may have to remove the manifold again in short order. As an option you may want to do the octopus hose while you are in there, but not necessary.

Call RPM auto in Costa Mesa (no affiliation, except I buy parts there) they should be able to get them for you within a day. (sometimes the same day) I have a spot I buy from occasionally in Orange, the guy there is a genius but The RPM guys seem to get the price I want every time.

Let me know if you ever need help/advice etc. I am local.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:02 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

I recently did my intake twice in one week I had a cracked intake manifold that I thought was a gasket problem. When I removed the intake manifold the second time I reused the channel gasket. As for the knock sensors I replace both with the intake manifold in place. When pulling the old knock sensor out attach a string to the plug at the tower and pull the string as you pull the sensor it makes it easy to pull the plug back to the tower.

As a side note I did one in the parking lot with limited tools. Just be sure to maintain control of the nut.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBMarks
Ok, I just did an intake "manifold off" replacement of heater hoses, octopus hose, etc. Everything went fine, now 2 weeks later I get a "knock sensor bank 1" code. I've read where with some deft hands and tools one can do the job without taking the intake off...
Before you go through the expense and trouble of replacing the knock sensors, drive the car for about a month and see what happens. Sometimes the ECU can hiccup and generate knock codes... happened on my car. The code may go away... it takes five engine starts without a code to clear the CEL. Or it may stick around. Run it for a few weeks and then you'll know if you really need to replace the sensors.

Old 07-24-2013, 09:50 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I have noticed that Bank 1 might need to have the sensor mount stud removed to gain clearance for the replacement. I had to use an 'inverted Torx' to pull the stud and then I used some 'gummy mastic' to hold the stud in the new sensor. You could just use a BOLT when you go back with the new sensor.

I just replaced a bank 2 knock sensor on a 2001 XJ8 the other day and it took about 15 minutes.
You can use a magnet or a piece if stiff wire to 'fish' the sensor and harness under the manifold.