XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Intermittent won't start after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Intermittent won't start after warmed up

1999 XK8. Normally runs fine no issues. I can drive it to work and then home at the end of the day, no problem. However, after the engine is warmed up it will refuse to restart if I stop somewhere briefly, like running to the grocery store. The engine will try to start and appear to start but only for a half second and then it will immediately die. It will do this repeatedly, like it is getting one shot of gas from the fuel injection and once that burns that's it, literally a half second. I can do that over and over with no success. If I let the car sit for 20-30 minutes it will start right up as though nothing is wrong. It is difficult to predict when this might happen. However, it does seem to happen on the warmer days. Typically I only drive it to work and back, so the frequency of occurrence is low; it only happens when I try to restart after the car is warmed up. I checked for thrown codes but there aren't any. Any assistance appreciated.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Check your fuel pressure at the rail, look for 35-40 pounds. See how fast it leaks down after a shut off, should be very slow. It might be time for a new fuel pressure regulator, too, easy 5 minute installation.

If there are codes, let us know...

Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

Originally Posted by Spurlee
Check your fuel pressure at the rail, look for 35-40 pounds. See how fast it leaks down after a shut off, should be very slow. It might be time for a new fuel pressure regulator, too, easy 5 minute installation.

This is the location of the Fuel Pressure Test Port at the rear of the right side Fuel Rail:

Name:  XK8_Reg.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  23.6 KB

Old 06-23-2011, 10:32 AM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

A few things, a leaking or dirty injector, a failing fuel pump check valve allowing a bubble to develop in the fuel line. Either one of these would not be unusual in a car this age. Try some good quality fuel system cleaner to start with.

Old 06-23-2011, 12:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Responding to the two suggestions:

Originally Posted by Spurlee

1) I checked the fuel pressure and it reads 35 psi, and has a slow bleed down.

2) There are no codes.
Originally Posted by oldmots
A few things, a leaking or dirty injector, a failing fuel pump check valve allowing a bubble to develop in the fuel line. Either one of these would not be unusual in a car this age. Try some good quality fuel system cleaner to start with.
I'll certainly give that a try, but this only seems to happen after the car is warm and only effects the car when you try to restart after a brief errand. Wouldn't what you are describing affect performance under almost every condition, daily driving, etc...?
I know there are a number of issues with the throttle body on these cars. Would a problem with the throttle body cause an intermittent problem like this? I hate to purchase unneeded parts. Is there any method for testing the throttle body or its integral components, assuming throttle body malfunction is a remote possibility?
Thanks all for your assistance