XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod adapter - has anyone tried it in the XK?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod adapter - has anyone tried it in the XK?

I'm looking at ways to hook up my iPod to the factory stereo in my XK8. All sorts of options out there with more or less wires. Then I came across this on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/iDeck-Integrat.../dp/B002QG4P7U

It has pretty good reviews. Has anyone tried it in the XK?

Old 12-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

No, but I'm sure it is pretty similar to the generic tape player to mini jack converters, just with a iPod dock in place of the mini jack. I've used one of the aforementioned tape to mini jack converters with my iPad on a long trip with great results, so I would guess this would work well. While not stealthy or integrated, it should get the job done and sound better than the FM transmitters that seem to be popular.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

I use a cassette adapter also but it plugs into the IPOD earphone jack. The audio quality is not bad but not as good as a CD in the changer. I`m wondering if the sound quality is better with the type you refer to on Amazon as it plugs into the bottom
port on the IPOD. I may buy one...for 39.99 ya can`t complain...if I buy one I`ll post back a review.
\Craig

Old 12-01-2010, 08:20 PM

OK...I ordered one...I`ll get back with a review when I receive it in a week or so...

Old 12-02-2010, 09:11 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe sound will be no different, though the main advantage to this approach is the ability to charge your iPod as well. Do post back with how satisfied you are with it since I am looking for similar thing for my wife's iTouch to work for audio books (not as high sound quality/dynamic range requirement as music).

Old 12-03-2010, 04:04 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

My Ipod install http://www.gusglikas.com/AutoRepairIpodInstall.htm

Have you seen this?? https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=46489

Last edited by Gus; 12-03-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Has anyone looked at or tried this
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=321
I was planing on getting one to put on the CD player and then add a Parrot unit to play music vie blue-tooth. As I read the description, it should play the CD player until there is a signal to the RCA plugs at which time it would switch over to the RCA plug input. Looks quick and easy......for a Jag.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:29 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
Has anyone looked at or tried this
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=321
I was planing on getting one to put on the CD player and then add a Parrot unit to play music vie blue-tooth. As I read the description, it should play the CD player until there is a signal to the RCA plugs at which time it would switch over to the RCA plug input. Looks quick and easy......for a Jag.
You need to send a note to Discount Car Stereo and ask them. I understand that a few select items do not work with our system that is why I went with the setup I got, but that was then.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 PM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

You were right, Gus. At the very bottom of the page at discount Car it says
2. Factory (OEM) radios in Honda, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler, Jaguar, Volvo, etc. are *NOT* compatible with the ALP/Ai-NET.
As someone once said..."It a good thing they are so beautiful"
By the way Gus...I changed my thermostat housing last week and a big thanks for your write up and that and all the other write up you do. I think with out you I wouldn't have had the courage to buy one of these wonderful cars. Thanks again

Old 12-04-2010, 07:11 PM

Received the I-DECK from Amazon today. I like the way it fits and works. Sound quality is acceptable although you do have to brighten up the sound with adjustments to the IPOD Equalizer function or by adjusting the bass/treble/subwoofer controls on the factory radio. Make sure your Dolby B on the radio unit is turned *OFF*. It is still not equal to the sound quality of a CD but all in all I`m satisfied with it and like having the content of my IPOD available to me while driving. I`d recommend this product to anyone with an XK. It may be my imagination but I do think it sounds better than the cassette adapters that plug into the earphone jack on the IPOD. With adapters that plug into the IPOD earphone jack you have to adjust the volume on the IPOD and the volume on the car radio unit to arrive at a balance which gives good sound quality (best to keep the IPOD volume at around 1/2). With the I-DECK that plugs into the bottom receptacle on the IPOD, the IPOD volume control is shunted and adjusting it makes no difference in volume output. Volume is controlled solely by the car radio unit. I`m happy with the I-DECK and I think it is worth the $39.95. Post back with your comments if you decide to buy one...thanks!!

The following users liked this post:
preuss2 (07-07-2014)
Old 12-04-2010, 08:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
You were right, Gus. At the very bottom of the page at discount Car it says
2. Factory (OEM) radios in Honda, Mercedes Benz, Chrysler, Jaguar, Volvo, etc. are *NOT* compatible with the ALP/Ai-NET.
As someone once said..."It a good thing they are so beautiful"
By the way Gus...I changed my thermostat housing last week and a big thanks for your write up and that and all the other write up you do. I think with out you I wouldn't have had the courage to buy one of these wonderful cars. Thanks again

Good to know it helped and thanks for the kind words.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too use the cassette adaptor which plugs into the earphone jack on your IPOD or MP3 player,you will have to adjust the treble and bass to your liking ,but it works great and it is instant.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I posted a picture a while ago on how I did my cassette adapter. I removed the radio, inserted the cassette, drilled out one of the outer sheetmetal holes on the radio a little larger and fished the headphone adapter out through the top or side of the radio. Then since your center console is already out to remove the radio, I fished the headphone jack up through the wood where the radio and shifter wood come together. This makes for a clean looking dash, where there is only a few inches of wire protruding with the headphone jack.
Of course, now you can't use the cassette deck, but I don't have any tapes anyway. Also, there is a way to get into the radio presets/menu so that the tape doesn't automatically eject every time you turn the car on/off either. Works great to hook up any mp3 player and is clean looking.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

We got one of these iDeck's as well and like it overall. The only thing that is annoying is every time we turn the car off it ejects. I'm sure this is a feature of the cassette deck to avoid flattening that part of a cassette tape or having it melt to the heads on a hot day. However, anyone know if there is a setting to disable it?

One other thing. It doesn't seem to charge our iTouch, which is listed as supported. My wife just told me this the other day and I haven't had a chance to look into it yet (for all I know cigarette lighter fuse is blown). If anyone has any pointers there I'd appreciate those, too.

Old 01-24-2011, 11:37 PM
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

I too have an iDeck and personally think the sound quality is a bit better than the systems which use the headphone connector. That's an opinion, and maybe my previous cassette adaptor was poor in quality.

Here's the answer about the auto eject:

To enter the set up mode: Press the 'Tape Eject' and the 'AM/
FM' buttons simultaneously.
The display will show 'SET UP'. The following preferences can
then be selected and changed, in any order, as long as no more
than 15 seconds elapse between Presets. After 15 seconds the
display will clear.
Preset 5 'KEY OFF EJECT' - Sets the cassette tape to
automatically eject when the ignition key is turned
OFF. If already enabled, pressing 5 disables the 'KEY OFF EJECT'.

The following users liked this post:
preuss2 (07-07-2014)
Old 07-07-2014, 12:38 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Reviving an older thread: I just received an iDeck that I ordered through Amazon from CYANICS. I bought a "refurbished" unit but the one I received appears to be brand new, in the original box and other packaging including all accessories.
I just tested it in Ruby's (my red XK8) Harmon Kardon system and it sounds great. It's a simple and inexpensive solution to playing iPod tunes through the car's sound system.
The cost was just under $40 and included free shipping.