XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ipod audio install

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Default ipod audio install

The first thing I did was remove the cd player from the car.not difficult..bit fidley..four bolts on top and side of the audio system in the boot.trunk.this just makes it all loose.2 philips screws each side of the cd player..disconect from amp..remove from car..take a razor and cut the cable insulation about 3 inches then pull the screened cable out..cut the screening very carefull to expose wiring .there are a pair of wires left and right output..you will need to cut these.the inner wires will be blue and green.these cables are screened but it’s a common earth ..so connect the screens together..remove the back seat from the car..this is very easy and only takes a few mins.2 nuts at the bottom of the seat and 2 screws in the back..see photos. run two by 5 foot of stereo screend cable from the boot space to the center console in the cab along the wiring harness..carefull when bodging an hole at the back of the seat there is sound proofing also a petrol tank there.I choose to butcher the cd player and not the amp as the player is of little value and easy to replace. the interface is a redundant riser from a pc..I chose it because it has screw fittings and easy to secure ..I have a spare one and anyone can have it free just cover postage..I removed the print and soldered direct to the connection as to reduce any chance of unwanted hum. drill and file holes to fit into console..i removed the pink..mic socket to give me space for the switch.I have made a simple drawing of the wiring any question just pm or email ill be glad to help. once its wired up I downloaded a left channel right channel audio test from google. made a cd to test stereo and recorded to my ipod test this as well..once channels were ok got the insulating tape out and refited the cd player and amp.I the got a redundant tom tom car charger and took the printed board out and wired it to supply 5v to usb sockets connect 12v to the board with a 2amp fuse in line
This is the only risky part of this setup..get this wrong and kiss your ipod or iphone goodby..these items don’t like having voltage of the wrong polarity shoved up em.smoke and smell says you got it wrong..so please check and check and check..you only get one go.used a hot weld gun to fix this board to the consol..hope my pictures and crude diagrams help..and my poor spelling 6+.
.I also have a few of these switches that I will give away..just cover postage..they are easy to get hold of locally.
Happy soldering

Attached Thumbnails ipod audio install-img_0007.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0012.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0013.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0015.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0016.jpg  

ipod audio install-img_0018.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0023.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0024.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0025.jpg   ipod audio install-img_0028.jpg  

ipod audio install-xj8%2520changer.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
The Coupe (11-16-2012)
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Well.

I'm quite impressed by your set up and your ability to understand and install it so cleanly. But I'm not sure I could pull it off.

Hmmm...