XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's getting cold in Chicago..Question about the heating system

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 AM
Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts
Question It's getting cold in Chicago..Question about the heating system

As winter comes to Chicago, I took my 2000 XK8 out for a drive and notice that cold air was coming out of the defroster vents and along the dash right onto my left hand. I also notice that the top of the steering wheel was colder than the side and bottom. Do I have a problem or is this just the nature of the beast?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What was you heater temperature set at?

Old 11-30-2010, 06:40 PM

I tried all different settings. The temp in the car followed what the system was set to, but the draft was alwaus there. Also my A/C seems to always be on, is that normal. If I turn the A/C off it has no effect on the cold draft.
Thanks

Old 12-01-2010, 03:22 PM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

I know this is not a technical answer, but move out of Chicago. I did in 1979 and have never had a heater problem since.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Veteran Member
Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

LOL! I agree with Steve, I haven't had a heater issue with any car since I left Chicago and moved to Florida.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:44 AM

I think you guys solved my problem. However I have 3 more years to "enjoy" the weather up north. I do spend the worst 6 weeks starting right after the new year down in the land of sunshine. Gee it great when the kids move out!!

Old 12-02-2010, 07:57 AM
ud
Received 147 Likes on 75 Posts

Yep, sounds like you've got a good handle on the right time to leave Chicago. The coldest month I've ever experienced in my life was January 1978 in Chicago. Then, no one's car heater worked, but then again, no one's car started either...nor did home heating systems do much....I vacated the area...forever!

I now only return to Chicago for the food...and, only in good weather which comes for one day in the fall, around October, and one day in May.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:11 AM
Veteran Member

Same here. Chicago in summer is great.We go back every year for a week or two. Weather aside, it's a world class restaurant town.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm in a cold climate so maybe I can be of help. It's difficult to know how much esperiance you have had with cars. Heres the basics. The car heater uses heat from the engine cooling system in the form of water. So first find out if your engine temperature is getting off the peg. If not,you need to envest in a new thermostat. The thermostate causes the engine water to heat up. If you have a hot engine then you need to find out why the heat isn't getting to you. I'm afraid to say but I would bet the problem is pilot error. Set the heater to 80 degrees. thurn the air conditioner of. set the air direction knob so the heat is going on your feet. Now give the engine time to heat up and give the heater controls time to respond. You will notice all the controls on a Jag are slow to respond. The means you have a luxery car. All of them respond that way. I sold a Cady to a guy who called and said the heater was broke. I told him to have patients. Please write back and tell us what happens. Maybe you do have a control problem. Tell us. Please forgive the grammer and spelling I,m in a hurry. Maybe someone else can help If you write back I won't be here.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Glenn Barickman
As winter comes to Chicago, I took my 2000 XK8 out for a drive and notice that cold air was coming out of the defroster vents and along the dash right onto my left hand. I also notice that the top of the steering wheel was colder than the side and bottom. Do I have a problem or is this just the nature of the beast?
Odds on it's the heater pump.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:06 AM

Thanks for you r respond. The car and the engine get nice and warm. If I set the controls to 72 or 80 the heating system seem to work fine. My problem is that I always seem to have cold air (outside air?) coming out of the defrosters, over the dash and pouring along the valley that runs a few inches behind the wind screen and flows onto my left hand. Also the A/C is always on, is that normal? I have found that if I set the controls to bi-directional (both floor and vents) the warm air coming out of the vent will keep my hand from freezing. I just thought this might be either a simple problem or a quirk that I need to live with. Thanks for you help

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

Well, It seems that I do not have a problem. Martin was right, I just need to give it time. On a fairly cold morning in Chiacgo (high teens - low 20's) the car's inside temp. was fine after about 15 minutes. The problem may have something to do with being park in a heated garage and then driving into the cold. I have only had the car a few months and I am still looking much too hard for problems. Thanks all for your help

Old 12-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Received 70 Likes on 63 Posts

Well, It seems that I do not have a problem. Martin was right, I just need to give it time. On a fairly cold morning in Chiacgo (high teens - low 20's) the car's inside temp. was fine after about 15 minutes. The problem may have something to do with being park in a heated garage and then driving into the cold. I have only had the car a few months and I am still looking much too hard for problems. Thanks all for your help
The a/c can be switched off. Press Auto A/c and the red light should go out.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Michigan and I also thought I was feeling cold air from the heater, but I think it is just a little drafty if the wind is blowing in the right direction. It is a convertible after all. Sometimes I forget since it is so quiet. Mine has a new therostat and water pump and the heat kicks on when I would expect it.

Old 12-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I live in a colder part of Florida so I have experienced your problem. The heating and air conditioning system in the XK is controlled from data inputs from a multitude of sensors that measure the inside temp, outside temp, the sun's radiant heat contribution, the engine temp, and the temp you want the car to be at. If the car is detecting a temp that is in error the computer will also make an error. A temp error such as the true outside temp being 22 degrees but the cars sensor reporting it at 60 degrees because it has been in a garage, would cause the computer to think it was warmer outside and allow more outside air into the car than it would if it knew the outside temp was 22 degrees. In this case you would feel a cold draft. The computer will take a little time for all to settle down while the sensors reach the actual temperatures and the system to get to the temp you requested.

Old 12-09-2010, 07:50 AM

Thanks Rich,
I had a feeling that was what the "problem" was. I notice that If I drove somewhere and left the car off for a few minutes, all would be fine when I came back out. After last week, I sure you had a chance to check out my problem with the freezing temp down there. Sunday I am going to Bears - Patriots game. It is going to be in the low teens, snowy and windy...Life is good. That should make you guys is Florida miss the cold...

Old 12-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Veteran Member

Go Bears!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts

Thanks for you r respond. The car and the engine get nice and warm. If I set the controls to 72 or 80 the heating system seem to work fine. My problem is that I always seem to have cold air (outside air?) coming out of the defrosters, over the dash and pouring along the valley that runs a few inches behind the wind screen and flows onto my left hand. Also the A/C is always on, is that normal? I have found that if I set the controls to bi-directional (both floor and vents) the warm air coming out of the vent will keep my hand from freezing. I just thought this might be either a simple problem or a quirk that I need to live with. Thanks for you help
I have exactly the same problem (in Chicago, too!). Despite the settings and even after hours on the road there is always COLD air coming out of the defroster vents. It seems to be some sort of default setting that can't be changed. The AC will want to stay on in order to dry the air - that's normal. You can shut it off, but cold air will still come out the defrost vents, down the valley and onto your left hand.

I've never had a car with such a poor heating system. Even my 1969 Katrman Ghia didn't leak cold air.

Old 12-14-2010, 01:18 PM
Received 130 Likes on 103 Posts
Default No need to look too hard...

You'll find that there's no need to look very hard for problems, with this car they'll come right up and find you! This forum is a great resource!

The following users liked this post:
Glenn Barickman (12-14-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Spurlee
I've never had a car with such a poor heating system. Even my 1969 Katrman Ghia didn't leak cold air.

If I recall, the Karmann Ghia didn't leak warm air either under 45 MPH!

Quick Reply: It's getting cold in Chicago..Question about the heating system