XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Jag is Dead. Long Live the Jag.

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts
Default The Jag is Dead. Long Live the Jag.

Well, this is the tragedy that befell my beloved XKR:

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...atures-182981/ (moderator: please can you create the correct link, if this does not work?) (it does work - GGG)

Faithful forever to the X100, but untrustworthy in my attachment to the dead one, I have now found another. She has 75,000 miles and adaptive cruise control, and seems to be in decent condition, though time will tell, even though she cost an arm and a leg! I shall be replacing gearbox oil, and if there is any question whatever about suspension bushes and brake disks, they will go as well. I also intend having the plugs changed, since I have no idea if or when this was done before I have rescued the hydraulic pump limiter from the old car, and am awaiting realgauge fitments from the US. Any suggestions for precautionary service would be gratefully received!

I am also modifying the satnav by removing it and building in a TOMTOM. More about this in a later post - it is a very do-able mod.

Here are the pics: Jaguar racing green and black hood. Prettier, with the retro cream and walnut interior, than black, and less evil looking, I think! I am soooooo fickle.

2005 XKR, adaptive cruise control, in Jaguar Green

Last edited by GGG; 05-31-2017 at 09:31 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Orthodixie (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:57 AM
Veteran Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New Jaguar

Glad for you. Please keep us informed as you replace the SatNav system.

Old 05-31-2017, 09:33 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

That didn't take long!

Graham

Old 05-31-2017, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by GGG
That didn't take long!

Graham
Nope. Can't be without the girlfriend for long.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:00 PM

....actually, let me expand on the reason for haste. My wife and I will be retiring to Portugal next April, once we have sold our house (you can see a little of it in the pictures) and the business. Portugal has some very strange rules, one of which is that they charge punitive import duties on cars - actually, against EU regulations, though nobody does anything about it. However, if you bring in a car when you arrive, having owned it for a minimum of 12 months, you can do so without import duties. It is also worth mentioning that cars purchased in Portugal are horrendously expensive, also because of the various duties.

So, in order not to delay things even further, I needed to get a car very quickly. Although I looked at X150, I felt that the X100 is much more classic and beautiful, and adaptive cruise control was one of my 'musts'. I scoured the country, and at the time could only find this one with that desired feature.

To be frank, given time, I would not have bought it, as it does not have a consistent service history. particularly over the first 40k miles, though of course that does not mean that it has been neglected. But it looks and feels taut and does seem to be well looked after. I just may have to spend a little doing some bits that, perhaps, should have been done in the past. We'll see.

Anyone thinking of retiring to Portugal? PM me for info on their tax system, cost of living etc.

Old 05-31-2017, 01:07 PM
Veteran Member
Received 430 Likes on 323 Posts

X100s Forever, Especially Green Ones!!!

Old 05-31-2017, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paul Pavlik
X100s Forever, Especially Green Ones!!!
Paul, you have such good taste!

But I think the colour is known is Jaguar Racing Green (unless it is flat?) There's a thread on this: http://www.jaguarforum.com/showthread.php?t=47052

Last edited by Diddion; 05-31-2017 at 01:26 PM. Reason: further info.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Beautiful car inside and out. I imagine that the top will spend much more time down when you no longer have to shelter from the great British summers
It's also one of the very few UK vehicles I've seen that doesn't have any history of underbody corrosion, according to the MOT history site

Enjoy!

Old 05-31-2017, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by michaelh
Beautiful car inside and out. I imagine that the top will spend much more time down when you no longer have to shelter from the great British summers
It's also one of the very few UK vehicles I've seen that doesn't have any history of underbody corrosion, according to the MOT history site

Enjoy!
We will! The previous car was quite a head turner for the Portuguese. Yes, great driving open, but 40degrees C in the early afternoons makes being closed wih aircon full blast much more comfortable.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Congrats--looks like you made lemonade out of lemons!

Doug

Old 06-01-2017, 12:16 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Replacement X100

Very good choice indeed.

I'd thought of acquiring an additional XKR vert, but decided to hunt for an XJR (X308) instead, which gives more passenger room when the occasion calls for it...