XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Changed Upper Shock Mounts,,,BUT

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Just Changed Upper Shock Mounts,,,BUT

while 80% of the suspension noise is gone, am still getting a periodic clunk on right side from the odd bump in the road.
Car only has 41K on it, and it was a Florida car. No rust or corrosion on suspension, and upper and lower control arms cleaned up nice using waterless hand cleaner.
Control arm bushing appeared good, and could not detect any play or softness.
However the lower shock bushings appeared a little soft, especially the right side, but could not detect any metal to metal areas.
Am I correct that the problem is the lower shock bushings?
Do they simply press out using the proper mandrels?
In the USA, the right side of the car tends to take more beating especially if it's driven in the city where most road openings and grates are on the right.
Appreciate any input for this new XK8 owner.
p.s.
Sure am glad I had a lift. That really saved my back and old knees.
Even used it to help compress the springs when my spring compressor was getting to it's threaded limits.

Thanks All
Jack

Old 11-26-2016, 06:08 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,317 Likes on 1,004 Posts

Have you replace the sway bar bushings or sway bar ends. They are probably causing the occasional clunk

Old 11-26-2016, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by avern1
Have you replace the sway bar bushings or sway bar ends. They are probably causing the occasional clunk
No I haven't. Did not pay too much attention to them. Probably should have. Was really focused on the upper shock mounts which were in bad shape.
Will check them.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Veteran Member
Received 600 Likes on 446 Posts

A new set of shocks is only 20 bucks or so more than just the lower bushings.. Get ya some new shocks and replace the sway bar bushings and end links, go from each there, how do the ball joints look?

Old 11-26-2016, 08:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

Lower bushings $12 on ebay from British Parts International. But first I would replace the sway bar bushings and see if the sound is gone.

Old 11-26-2016, 08:42 PM

Thanks Guys
Ball joints felt tight.
Think what I'll do is drive car with sway bar disconnected. This will possibly eliminate one problem.
If noise is still there will change lower shock bushings. At this point don't feel like removing springs again to change shocks which are working fine.

Don't think I've ever come across a spring/shock setup like this before which tends to put an immense amount of strain on the shock attachment points.

Thanks again
Jack

Old 11-27-2016, 09:16 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I think if you attempt to drive with the sway bar unbolted you will hear even heavier clunking. They seem to be an integral part of the suspension. The bushings are cheap and easy. And without removing them you may not be able to determine if they are worn inside the capture point creating metal to metal clunk.
Mine looked ok untill they were removed. Replaced and the clunk is an old memory.

Old 11-27-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by dennysjag
I think if you attempt to drive with the sway bar unbolted you will hear even heavier clunking. They seem to be an integral part of the suspension. The bushings are cheap and easy. And without removing them you may not be able to determine if they are worn inside the capture point creating metal to metal clunk.
Mine looked ok untill they were removed. Replaced and the clunk is an old memory.
Thanks for the input Denny.
By disconnecting the sway bar links, the bar will essentially be just sitting there without any ties to the suspension. A quick drive then will tell me if the sway bar is the culprit or do I have to dig deeper.
Not living in Florida like you do, and not having a heated garage, I can live with the clunk for a while, or until the curiosity gets the better of me and I don the thermal underwear and grab some wrenches.
I'm sure it will be the latter.

Old 11-29-2016, 10:46 AM

Disconnected one of the sway bar links and took car for a ride.
All clunking was gone.
Ordered new sway bar bushings. Will have them tonight.
No problem, (well a little bit working from under the car) removing right sway bar bushing. Rubber looks very tired and cracked.
Can't get to the front bolt holding the left bushing on without severely distorting the A/C hoses. Outside edge of rubber bushing looks a lot better than the right one, so at this point going to take a chance and just replace the right bushing.
Did read how a forum member was able to get at this bolt, but can't locate the thread right now.
Will find it when I have to
Cheers
Jack

Old 11-29-2016, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,783 Likes on 2,227 Posts

If I remember correctly, a problem at my age, I was able to access that one from the wheel well with a wrench. Or maybe I had a helper lower the socket on a universal and I guided it from the well.

The following users liked this post:
USCANAM (11-29-2016)
Old 11-29-2016, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Received 375 Likes on 309 Posts

I did just the missing right bushing on mine. Oil drips on it and the rubber breaks down.

Taking off the Airfilter box makes access a little easier from the top, and the box comes out easy. I replaced mine going at it from the top and bottom, which gave me a better picture of what I was doing, because I did it on low ramps and feeling around under the car.

Old 11-29-2016, 03:57 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,252 Likes on 687 Posts

Originally Posted by USCANAM
Disconnected one of the sway bar links and took car for a ride.
All clunking was gone.
Ordered new sway bar bushings. Will have them tonight.
No problem, (well a little bit working from under the car) removing right sway bar bushing. Rubber looks very tired and cracked.
Can't get to the front bolt holding the left bushing on without severely distorting the A/C hoses. Outside edge of rubber bushing looks a lot better than the right one, so at this point going to take a chance and just replace the right bushing.
Did read how a forum member was able to get at this bolt, but can't locate the thread right now.
Will find it when I have to
Cheers
Jack
Here's my write up on how I did it - with pics!

The following 2 users liked this post by rothwell:
Ungn (11-30-2016), USCANAM (11-29-2016)
Old 11-30-2016, 12:00 PM
Default Update

OK, changed both sway bar bushings and front suspension is clunk free.
As posted earlier that I wasn't going to change the left one, I was able with a block of wood and a metal bar to move the A/C hoses inboard a bit and had clear access to the clamping bolts.
Using a hint from a poster, I taped the socket and extensions together.

Was able to do right side from underneath using a ratchet handle that when you rotate the handle, it turns the drive.

The following users liked this post:
RaceDiagnostics (11-30-2016)