XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking intercooler plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 12:24 PM
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Leaking intercooler plug

So, I've been looking for a replacement plug to try and fix the issue of coolant leaking from the plug of my intercooler to no avail. I emailed SNG Barratt after my dealer couldn't help and was told that the plug does not come separate from the intercooler. I'm pretty sure the leak is my own fault because I may have over-tightened it (I turned until the end started to twist in my hand). Anyway, I would like to know if there is a way to fix this leak without a new plug, if anyone knows a way to get a new plug, or if over-tightening damages the intercooler and I need a new one. As far as I could tell when I last removed the plug there isn't an o-ring associated with it, but I could be wrong. Thank you all in advance.

Old 03-15-2017, 12:26 PM

I forgot to attach a picture, hopefully I did this correctly.Leaking intercooler plug-img_20170315_122314.jpg

Old 03-15-2017, 01:06 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Before making a determination, you might have to take a hard look at the parts involved. Unfortunately, it involves draining the fluid, best I can figure. Once drained, you need to examine the threads on both the radiator side and the plug side. Best case, the plug threads are damaged. Worst case, it is on the radiator side. Also, do not discount a leak where the end tank meets the core.

If it was me, if the damage was not too bad, I would try some generic plumbing Teflon tape on the plug. Not completely sure, but I doubt that water circuit is under much pressure, so it might hold OK.

Another idea is to take the plug to a home center plumbing department and see if you can make something up, like threading a (very) short pipe into the radiator end tank, maybe use plastic weld or epoxy to secure it. Then figure out a plug for that short pipe. That radiator seems expensive, so it might be worth looking into some shortcut.

As a last resort, I suppose you could permanently glue/epoxy the plug on the end tank. For future maintenance of the fluid, you would have to use some form of vacuum hose, or take the radiator off completely.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

The following users liked this post:
ryan.logan1 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:10 PM
Received 7,878 Likes on 4,762 Posts

I think the plug is sealed with an 'O'ring and it might be damaged from over tightening.

I would clamp-off the SC radiator supply/return hoses and remove the plug for inspection.

bob

The following users liked this post:
ryan.logan1 (03-15-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM

Do you know where this o-ring would be located? I took off the plug a couple of times and couldn't find one. And I've considered just putting an epoxy/ gasket maker on the plug and making it permanent. I'd still be able to flush the system out using the radiator drain plug, or by removing/replacing hoses.