XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaper on XK8

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 05:56 AM
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Interestingly, there's a Leaper discussion on the XJ forum. Some like, some don't.
Here are my thoughts re posted:

I really LIKE the Leaper on the XJ! I don't think it would look good on my XK 8 but it has a timeless appeal to me on the sedans.
The local dealer salesman told me that it was discontinued due to "pedestrian safety" concerns. Are you kidding me??? If I can't see or hear a frigging CAR that I'm about to walk in front of then I have bigger problems than getting cut by the hood ornament!
If for no other reason, mine will stay on for spite. Lawyers......
2X

Old 11-27-2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 513 Likes on 333 Posts

I'm sticking to my opinion! If ya want one, put one, if ya don't, don't!
I am glad I had mine on with badge tape and no drilled hole. Reversible!!

Old 11-28-2013, 11:57 PM
Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

LOL....if you put a leaper on them you basically have to give the car away!!!

Jaguar XK Base Convertible 2 Door | eBay

Old 11-29-2013, 07:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8

Not so sure that's true. My dealership salesman that I bought my XF from said that they usually sell the pre owned cars with leapers first! And 50% of new car buyers have it put on.
I still think since up until the last few years, most of the Jaguars, except the XK, came with leapers so it's harder for some here in the USA to give them up.

The following users liked this post:
MFoncerrada8 (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 01:56 PM
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Hi,
I see heaps of stuff done to xk jags on this forum that aren't exactly my cup of tea (particularly from our American friends). In fact a quick scout through 'flea bay' will provide a plethora of rubbish/ ultra stylish upgrades depending on your point of view. Most to my eye would be better stuck on a hot jap turbo rocket with a dust can exhaust driven by a 20 yr old of various ethnic backgrounds. In the light of this I think a bonnet mascot the most benign and tasteful of 'enhancements' in comparison.
So I guess, ' if it feels good, just do it. There's no need to look for permission or approval from anyone.
Regards al

Bad Cattitude (11-29-2013)
Old 11-29-2013, 07:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 567 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by MFoncerrada8

...but there is no shortage either!

Jaguar XK Convertible | eBay

Old 11-29-2013, 10:49 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Alan E L
Hi,
I see heaps of stuff done to xk jags on this forum that aren't exactly my cup of tea (particularly from our American friends). In fact a quick scout through 'flea bay' will provide a plethora of rubbish/ ultra stylish upgrades depending on your point of view. Most to my eye would be better stuck on a hot jap turbo rocket with a dust can exhaust driven by a 20 yr old of various ethnic backgrounds. In the light of this I think a bonnet mascot the most benign and tasteful of 'enhancements' in comparison.
So I guess, ' if it feels good, just do it. There's no need to look for permission or approval from anyone.
Regards al
Speaking for some (particularly American friends), I can attest that good/bad taste knows no boundaries, ethnic or contenental! I have several close UK friends and all I can say is WOW regarding their taste!! And not a good wow!lol. It's all relative. I've been informed many times on the forum that my taste is questionable at best, but my cars are always works n progress!

Old 11-30-2013, 08:18 AM
Veteran Member
Received 277 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan E L
Hi,
Regards al
Ah, you British sure know how to turn a phrase. Keep it up. Texans really enjoy that.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by 2ndxk8
Interestingly, there's a Leaper discussion on the XJ forum. Some like, some don't.
Here are my thoughts re posted:

I really LIKE the Leaper on the XJ! I don't think it would look good on my XK 8 but it has a timeless appeal to me on the sedans.
The local dealer salesman told me that it was discontinued due to "pedestrian safety" concerns. Are you kidding me??? If I can't see or hear a frigging CAR that I'm about to walk in front of then I have bigger problems than getting cut by the hood ornament!
If for no other reason, mine will stay on for spite. Lawyers......
2X
I'd bet every new model has the inevitable leaper question. I think I questioned it before I put mine on my XF. Oddly enough most XF owners I've run into love it but when I told them it was about 600.00 they dropped their jaws. It's a specially designed one from a German company but now adamesh carries it too. It's about 20% larger than the standard dealer one and has a much more proportioned base. And of course in piano black it looks totally different!
Leaper on XK8-image.jpg

Old 12-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Can it double as an emergency bottle opener?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by mike66
Can it double as an emergency bottle opener?
Lets give it a try shall we?!?! Lol

Old 12-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Received 141 Likes on 125 Posts

Leonardo DiCaprio's E-type in The Wolf of Wall Street has a leaper. So I guess it must be cool (at least Hollywood cool).

Old 08-26-2018, 10:41 AM
Veteran Member
Received 916 Likes on 654 Posts
Wink Philhef the Leaper Man!

Originally Posted by philhef
Good point!!
Phil, I think I like your little Leaper! It's suppose to be on the older Jaguar's , but those Bumperettes have to go! They reminder me of the old Porches' back in the 80's. Here in Texas, those would have been history several years ago!...….Sounds as if you are considering their removal also! As I said, that would be a good move! But Phil, that's my opinion and I want you to know, I respect yours...... Whoops! another Texas opinion….

Billy Clyde in Houston

Old 08-26-2018, 10:53 AM
GGG
Received 16,800 Likes on 12,169 Posts

Billy,

You get today's prize for the oldest thread resurrection - 5 years since this was last aired!

Graham

bcprice36 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 11:08 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by GGG
Billy,

You get today's prize for the oldest thread resurrection - 5 years since this was last aired!

Graham
Graham, How do these old Threads get back into circulation like this? I've noticed this several times lately! Seems like since the recent change was made......I guess I will have to look at the date from now on...….I'm trying to be more active lately as I noticed that I'm approaching the 1,000 mark! What do they call you when you exceed that mark?

Billy Clyde

Old 08-26-2018, 02:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Originally Posted by bcprice36
What do they call you when you exceed that mark?

Billy Clyde
Hehe. Someone who has too much spare time on his hands

You graduate to become a 'Veteran Member'

Old 08-26-2018, 03:15 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

Well done, Billy! This old thread you revived brightened up my morning, with lots of good laughs. That said, as much as I love leapers at home in their natural habitat, they can feel woefully out of place in the wrong habitat and I would feel badly about subjecting them to such mistreatment. I drove a 1960 XK-150 for seven years without its once crossing my mind to add a leaper. Years later I first saw a leaper on an XK-150 in "Play Misty for Me." Still not quite sure how I feel about that...

That said, regarding your 1000 post status, well, you must have a good bit of time on your hands! Keep it up.

Back to the leaper topic: When my daughter (who already drove an XJ8 VdP) first saw my XK8, her only comment was its lack of a leaper and essentially therefor dismissed it as irrelevant.

Granville

bcprice36 (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:16 PM
Veteran Member

Granville & Michaelh,

I only have time to do these threads after I get Home from the Office and on Week-ends......Most of these threads were done back when "Pretty Blue Fin" was around. I enjoyed messing with Her as She was Fun and I enjoyed her sassy "Back Talk"! To Bad about Her.....! Miss her!!

When I bought my 2000 XKR, it had 8,700 Miles on it, I had to fly to NYC to get it...The Doctor I bought it from had made the Dealer install a "Leaper" on the Hood.....If the deal had not been so good, I might have caught the Plane home.... I was so embarrassed about it that I couldn't wait to get back to Houston to have it removed...….Cost an additional $500.00 to get it off.....Left a big hole in the Hood that had to be filled up and painted......A bunch of people think that you have to have a "Leaper" or it's not a Jaguar!!!!

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Billy Clyde

michaelh (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Just teasing Billy
I'm with you on this - it works for me only on the XK150 and the Mk* saloons.

An engineer friend of mine did fit one on an aluminium ashtray he'd machined many years ago...

Old 08-26-2018, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by michaelh
Just teasing Billy
I'm with you on this - it works for me only on the XK150 and the Mk* saloons.

An engineer friend of mine did fit one on an aluminium ashtray he'd machined many years ago...
Michael, I still have the Little Leaper in my Parts Box......Cost me $500 Bucks!! The most expensive part in there!

BC

Quick Reply: Leaper on XK8