XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Should I put the top up when parking in the garage?
Definitely put it up
44.44%
It doesn't make any difference.
55.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Leaving the Top Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 09:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,258 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Leaving the Top Down

My Jag gets parked in the garage, and because of that I rarely put the top up (I'm trying to delay the green shower). I started wondering the other day if it's hard on the top to be continually folded up like that. Do you people suggest putting the top up when storing it in the garage, or does it not make any difference?

Old 06-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

I have wondered about that also. I am not sure if extended periods of leaving the top opened will result in permanent folds or creases in the canvass but I thought I read somewhere (the manual or on another forum?) that it is better to close the top occasionally to reduce the chance of creasing.

By the way, the only minor "flaw" I noticed when I bought my 2005 was a slight chafing pattern in the fabric behind the quarter window on the driver's side. I brought the car to an independent Jaguar/Landrover sales and service place near where I worked and the guy there said this was very common and nothing to be concerned about. But I do know that the previous owner did not use the car much for the almost 2 years that he owned it and perhaps it sat in the garage for long periods with the top opened which caused the creasing/chafing?

Doug

Old 06-22-2010, 12:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always put it up for two reasons 1) the potential for creasing and 2) because my garage door is open when I am home and the wind blows in all kinds of stuff.

Although my car is always garaged, it gets washed every weekend (even when not driven) because the amount of dust that collects on it in the garage is incredible.

The interior gets dirty enough from driving around with the top down all the time, I don't want to add to it with the garage dust too. I just did 500 miles this past weekend with the top down which means I will be doing the full leather-cleaning procedure again this coming weekend.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

Originally Posted by xsvjag
Although my car is always garaged, it gets washed every weekend (even when not driven) because the amount of dust that collects on it in the garage is incredible.
Wow, are you telling me you (a girl) are as **** as a guy when it comes to the cleanliness of their cars? Is this normal for you, or did the jag convert ya? Most girls don't care...they don't typically care about external appearance, and rarely about the mechanical condition of the vehicle...until it breaks down, then its someone else's fault.

Old 06-22-2010, 01:35 PM
Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

My car is a '97 and according to the previous owner it spent weeks at a time with the top down. It went from the garage at home to the parking garage where she worked. It shows in the creases and marks in the fabric just behind the rear quarter windows.
Mike

Old 06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Veteran Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Yes, you can crease and fade the top where it folds. Best to put it up.

Old 06-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member
Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I wish I could find my source back (I think it was someone on the Roadfly forums) but someone went for over a year without putting the top up and there were no permanent creases.

Personally, even though I have the LSI pressure valve, I still try to limit putting the top up/down. I tend to leave the top down when I pull in (although with the rains we have been getting, I usually have to put it up before I can leave again )

Old 06-22-2010, 06:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by h20boy
Wow, are you telling me you (a girl) are as **** as a guy when it comes to the cleanliness of their cars? Is this normal for you, or did the jag convert ya? Most girls don't care...they don't typically care about external appearance, and rarely about the mechanical condition of the vehicle...until it breaks down, then its someone else's fault.
I don't think I'm your average girl, I've always had a thing for cars and my motto is "There are two things I don't compromise on; my cars and my shoes." I don't drive dirty run-down (or cheap) cars and I don't wear un-shined run-down (or cheap) shoes.

Are you kidding me?! I absolutely care about making sure my car is up to par internally(under the hood) and externally. That's why I just popped $1000 to have all the hoses and belts changed out, in addition to a radiator flush and oil change every 3000 miles(very **** about changing oil), it is going on 9 years old after all, (while I listened to another lecture about how much money has been put into the car). Breakdowns are my fault if I drive a car all the time and fail to investigate or at least question any new noise or something that doesn't feel right or fail tokeep up with the maintenance.

If you saw me on the street, you wouldn't, in a million years, think that I would even dream of getting my hands dirty under the hood. My husband made fun of me last week because I was washing my car in a summer dress. At least I wasn't wearing heels.

But I like knowing what's going on and when I see pictures on this forum, I go check out my own car and see what shape mine is in. Most notably, a post on the upper shock mounts. I didn't even know where they were till I saw the pictures in the post, but recognized the place immediately and when I checked out mine, it was an immediate trip to the dealer for replacement.

This forum is an invaluable resource and the helpfulness of the members is astonishing. Thank you for letting me be a part of this community (even if I'm not a guy), letting me learn and not treating me like a half-wit when I have stupid questons.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member

Dammit... How come all of the good chicks are already taken.

Oh... what am I saying? I'm taken, too!

Old 06-22-2010, 09:37 PM
Veteran Member
Received 200 Likes on 176 Posts

Sam
If your trying to delay the green shower, get the pressure relief valve. It takes about 1/2 hour to forty minutes to install. You can take your header apart and check your hydraulic lines about a twenty minute job. Examination of the lines would give you a good idea of their shape. One of my lines developed a small leak so I never had a shower just a drop out of the air bag sensor. On another forum they talked about the hoses deteriorating from the heat in the south where as cars in the north where not as susceptible to the problem.
Doug
2001 XKR Silverstone

Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Veteran Member

To be honest, I'm not convinced of the efficacy of the pressure relief valve. I'm sure it delays the burst, but if the hyd line is deteriorating, it's going to burst eventually. There is still high pressure in the line, even though it's not quite as high as it was before. I think I'll take your suggestion and inspect the line this weekend. If it looks bad I'll just replace it before we head out west.

Old 06-23-2010, 05:04 PM
Veteran Member
Received 256 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by xsvjag
If you saw me on the street, you wouldn't, in a million years, think that I would even dream of getting my hands dirty under the hood. My husband made fun of me last week because I was washing my car in a summer dress. At least I wasn't wearing heels.
Too bad, I really like to watch girls wash cars in heels!!