XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LHD Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 08:50 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

"The alternative, unfortunately, seems to be wheel arch protection off, headlamps out and HID lens rotated through 180°."

Steve;

Do you have wheel arch mud guards on the front like the ones on the back?

Are you referring to the plastic wheel arch liner or the thin plastic/rubber strips found on the rear half of the rear wheel arches?

I haven't seen any but being out here in farm country like you are I could really use them to keep some of the local 'produce' off the front wings/fenders.

cheers,

jj

Last edited by jamjax; 02-05-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by jamjax
"The alternative, unfortunately, seems to be wheel arch protection off, headlamps out and HID lens rotated through 180°."

Are you referring to the plastic wheel arch liner or the thin plastic/rubber strips found on the rear half of the rear wheel arches?
Sorry, sloppy description, it's the wheel arch liner. Like you I could do with something on the disposable toilet seat cover principle for the whole underside of the car.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 AM
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks Steverino!

I could still use some good 'ole mud flaps if anyone knows of some similar to the rears.

cheers,

jj

Old 02-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default LHD Headlights

Hi,
The CoC saga concludes. Following a strongly worded email to Jaguar last Friday, I received a telephone call from Jaguar this afternoon. Apparently as this car was manufactured for the US market Jaguar cannot supply a CoC for export to France which I find extremely bizarre, but it is a conclusion.

We had about four inches of snow yesterday in SW France but I did make the trek to the local Prefecture in my trusty Twingo only to find that the person I was hoping to meet was snowed in. M***e!!!!!!

Hopefully the weather will improve and the local authority may get out with gritters (fat chance)!! I will keep you posted.

Regards

Matthew

Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by matthew.r
Hi,
The CoC saga concludes. Following a strongly worded email to Jaguar last Friday, I received a telephone call from Jaguar this afternoon. Apparently as this car was manufactured for the US market Jaguar cannot supply a CoC for export to France which I find extremely bizarre, but it is a conclusion.
If Jaguar can't provide a CoC, you'll have to take the car for a one-off homologation by the UTAC.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 AM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Hi,
Matthew,

Jaguar can suffer from the same bureaucracy themselves.

They sent my then new and unregistered 2001 XK8 with 42 miles on the clock on a transporter to Germany for the opening of a new dealership at Aachen. Two weeks later they brought it back on another transporter with exactly the same recorded mileage.

LHD Headlights-dvla-01-certificate-conformity-1.jpg

LHD Headlights-dvla-02-certificate-conformity-2.jpg

LHD Headlights-dvla-03-certificate-conformity-3.jpg

LHD Headlights-dvla-04-certificate-conformity-4.jpg

LHD Headlights-dvla-05-v55-first-registration.jpg

DVLA in Manchester required a CoC and would only register it on a V55/2 as a 'new imported vehicle'.

Graham

Old 02-08-2012, 04:46 AM

Hi,

I tried to get a copy of the demande attestation d identite from the local prefecture who suggested I contact Jaguar France which I did yesterday afternoon sending a copy of the V5. I received a prompt reply with the apprporiate documantation and guidance. I compleetd the form, photographed the VIN Plate ready for sending it off this morning. However I received an email from Jaguar France informing me that as the car was for the American market they would be unable to provide a CoC.

So it is off to the DRIRE/DREAL in Perigeuex.

Matthew

Old 02-08-2012, 05:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Yes, head to your DRIRE office with the V5 and VIN plate, EDF bill, driving licence, P/Port (they may not want all of it but you'll kick yourself if they do), In my experience they actually want to help.

Take the car with you, just in case you need to nip out and check on something. V5s have been known to contain errors.

(had a similar ID problem with an MB AMG 500SL, bought in Japan, shipped to US, exported to UK registered in UK, re-exported to France, the DRIRE had things sorted within 10 days).

Best of luck.

Old 02-08-2012, 05:51 AM
Veteran Member

As I said before I agree entirely with Richard (except it's called DREAL now).
If you can get the attestation I mentioned you can get your Contrôle Technique done.
Don't forget the bill of sale + tyre sizes

Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM

Hi guys,

Good news on the CoC front, Jaguar France have provided a partial Certificate and the car is booked in for a CT at my local station. Does wine really work?? I have been in touch with a very,very helpful guy just south of me and I would like to thank him for all his help and advice, as I would like to thank all on this forum. Th car will still have to be inspected by the good fellows at the DREAL but with a CT this may be a bit easier. I will keep you posted.

Regards

Old 05-17-2012, 03:53 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,231 Likes on 716 Posts

Doubt that the DREAL folk will want to see the car as they are generally just used to identify it and this can be done via the post. (although it looks like you are already there).

Now the French postal service is good, but they'd need a mighty big letter box to take your XK8.

The CT is like the MOT. All computerised these days, and not subject to opinion in areas that matter. If the car can pass a UK MOT you should be good. Headlights not withstanding.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:15 AM

Unfortunately the car did not pass, the headlights were mis-aligned one high one low. my local garage is going to set them up next week and I will take it back. I have a friend who has had dealings with the DREAL and he is being very helpful.

Regards

Old 05-25-2012, 05:19 AM
Default LHD Headlights

Bonjour,

Some good news and some bad news. Good news, I now have a temporary Carte Gris and I have been told that the full one will follow automatically in a few days. Bad news, I need to buy LHD headlights. maybe I should have done so at the beginning. Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy such lights, I have been quoted £1000 including delivery to France from Norman Motors in West Hampstead. Jagspares want £860 +VAT and Carriage. SNG Barratt in France have not responded to my email. Also on the subject of headlights what are the best replacement bulbs to fit as I believe the standard bulbs are pretty poor.

I also will need a couple of rear tyres in the next few months and would welcome suggestions as what would be best, I know it does come down to personal preference but views and opinions are welcome.

Regards

Old 05-25-2012, 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

Why do you need new headlights? The units are the same, except for the plates.

If you need some, I still have my original halogeen ones if you like, just send me a pm.

Old 05-27-2012, 01:17 AM

Hi AVOS,
How do I PM you?

Regards

Old 05-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,062 Likes on 759 Posts

If you click with your mouse once on my user name (so AVOS) in this post, you will see the options. Wil send you a mail now aswell.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 AM

Hi,

Now have a full Controlle Technique and all th documentation is with the DREAL in Perigueux and I am waiting on an "invite" to present the car or the attestation.

Can the pesron who asked for advice on importing a Jaguar PM me and I will help if I can. Ia may not get back for a few days as I am in Barcelona with family and will be back in London next Friday and will respond then

Regards

Old 06-18-2012, 01:10 PM
GGG
Received 16,794 Likes on 12,165 Posts

Hi,

Now have a full Controlle Technique and all th documentation is with the DREAL in Perigueux and I am waiting on an "invite" to present the car or the attestation.....................
Matthew,

Good to hear this saga is finally drawing to a successful conclusion.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
matthew.r (06-28-2012)
Old 07-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi guys was the axa insurance quote for the primary car or for another vehicle, I currently have my 2.7D XF insured through SATEC based in Paris who offer preferential rates for jaguar owners cost is 693euro per year

I asked them to quote for 1997 XK8 Convertible and they gave me 1280 Euro which seems crazy, I have now just had a quote from Nick Chubb for 354euro 3rd party only and limited to 8000KM pa

Old 07-11-2012, 04:48 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by rtucker
Hi guys was the axa insurance quote for the primary car or for another vehicle, I currently have my 2.7D XF insured through SATEC based in Paris who offer preferential rates for jaguar owners cost is 693euro per year

I asked them to quote for 1997 XK8 Convertible and they gave me 1280 Euro which seems crazy, I have now just had a quote from Nick Chubb for 354euro 3rd party only and limited to 8000KM pa
No the AXA rates are for a second vehicle, in my case limited to 8000km but fully comp including glass (but not mirrors) - about 500 Euros for an XKR.
The agency I use is Eric Zunino, agence.zunino-paris@axa.fr - they couldn't be more helpful.

Quick Reply: LHD Headlights