XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

On the lighter side

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 03:38 PM
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default On the lighter side

Curious..... Did any of my member friends buy their Cat brand new? If so, what is the repair history of it. What have you had to replace or fix, and was it true like they say, you need two Jags, one on the road, and one in the shop? Having fun , waiting for the football game!!!

Old 01-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

No. After 24 years working for a major auto manufacturer, I've witnessed too much depreciation on autos/trucks. There are few luxury cars I'd actually purchase new--and if I did, they'd be relatively low depreciating and more durable models.

Many used exotic cars owners require a daily driver while the "play car" is in the shop. Jags are best driven on weekends--not every day.

The trick is to buy Jags at a price where you can afford to recondition them. Another trick is to know where Jag salvage cars are (within 2 hours) that you can purchase electronic modules (and other parts) reasonably. Unfortunately, new parts from dealerships are cost prohibitive.

I'm just waiting for the LSU-Alabama game Monday night. Should be a tough game battle of the gladiators--at least on defense.

Last edited by Bamaman; 01-07-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

Did 'Bama ever hire a kicker?

Not that I am a certified 'profiler' but someone that puts up the big bucks for a new Jaguar, or any other high end car is probably not going to do much of their own service and maintenance and therefore probably not going to find this forum. And so many of these cars are leased with no intention of keeping them past the warranty perion.

I was fortunate to get pretty complete records for each of the two XK8s that I have owned. The first I bought with 106k miles had an unbelievable number of warranty repairs in the first 50k miles and more than $18k in invoices in the next 50k miles under the Select Edition warranty. Everything from a complete front end rebuild to a transmission replacement. So many that I developed the opinion that the dealer was milking the warranty coverage. I do realize that warranty repair money is far below customer cost but a number of things were done twice.

The second car also had a huge number of warranty repairs in the first 40k miles but the only issue I have had to deal with in the past 25k was the replacement of the coolant reservoir . . . and of course the passenger seat module . . . and the plastic tensioners . . . and that's all . . . .

Last edited by test point; 01-07-2012 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:52 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaman
Jags are best driven on weekends--not every day.
There are quite a few of us with our XK's being our main go-to vehicle.

These cars like to be driven and a lot of the time, the ones that aren't being driven much tend to have the most problems. All cars break from time to time and I can't think of a friend with a new car that hasn't had to go into the shop for some random reason, some for some really expensive repairs.

Old 01-07-2012, 09:33 PM
Received 78 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Bamaman
Jags are best driven on weekends--not every day.
I dont agree with this comment quoted and ive been driving Jaguars as daily drivers since 1990. Mind you the XKE I had in the 80's was a weekend driver but none since. I agree with Xeno that they want to be driven.

I also agree anyone buying one new is like that saying, a fool and his money are soon parted. Not to insult anyone on here who bought one new but unless im stupid rich there was no way I would ever spend 60-70K on a new Jag in 2000 let alone 2012.

I buy couple year older ones for myself...... because I love them, I can fix them and I can buy them right.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:21 AM
Received 70 Likes on 62 Posts

You are all right that these cars should be driven. You see so many on this forum that have been only driven 4K-5K miles per year, which is not enough.

My observations: Many new Jags are delivered to self employed lessors--and turned in at lease end before going to dealer auctions. New Jag purchasers are 55-60 years old, the kids are out of the house, and they have 4 cars for 2 drivers. That's why they're often low mileage automobiles.

I have had over 60 new cars, and have always driven 1,000 miles a week @ work. I also put another 20K on personal cars yearly. I just don't have the desire or time to be stranded with a breakdown. At least my XK8 was in my driveway when the fuel pump quit.

I'm just thankful that so many people on this web site are so dedicated to their Jaguar hobby, and that everyone's so helpful to share their experiences. I've just got to get more miles under me in my XK8 until I feel good enough to drive it long distances on vacation. With a 59K car, I'll eventually get there.

Test Point: And, to think that the Alabama placekicker was the #1 kicker in Texas in high school. The coach needs to dump him if his sports psychologist cannot get the negative thoughts out of his head. It's not that important to me, as I'm actually from Nashville by way of Atlanta.

Old 01-08-2012, 01:58 AM
Veteran member
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

For the best part of 20 years prior to buying my XKR, I had always bought new. In fact, it had come to almost one new car a year. However, I found myself becoming less and less satisfied with new cars for two reasons: (a) depreciation meant that however well you cared for them, they inevitably ended up like a used car after a year or so, and (b) because new cars are soulless. They have become like kitchen appliances: perfectly good at their job, but impossible to love.

I am lucky in that I have other cars for everyday use, so I can love the XKR for its road presence, its exquisite styling and even its foibles.

The only new cars that appeal to me now are way out of my budget, so I am quite happy with my 'old' Jag for the moment.