XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lights only come on in auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 02:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Lights only come on in auto

I have a 99 xkr convertible and the lights have stop working accept when set to auto. The spots and fog lights wont come on at all. I have checked the fuses and had a look at the indicator stalk and it still has all the wires attached. Has anyone got suggestions. I am considering changing the stalk to see what happens, but they are expensive and it seems strange that when the headlights are on(in auto) I still can't use the fog lights and spots which are controlled from buttons on the dash. Any help would be really appreciated as I have no clue what is going on with it

Old 03-08-2017, 09:44 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

AFAIK the fogs won't come on in "auto" mode. The lights have to be in the "on" position before the front fogs will come on - probably the rears too, but I'm not sure on that. I would bet on the stalk. Can you wiggle it and get the lights to do anything in the "on" position ? Do the other functions on the stalk work ? I had the opposite problem, which is more common, my lights worked but the "auto" function did not work. It turned out to be a broken solder joint at the stalk. There are a bunch of posts on that.

The following users liked this post:
jonnymalone (03-16-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member
Received 664 Likes on 572 Posts

Jonny, you have nothing wrong with your car other than your misunderstanding of how it works.
The fog lights are fed from different switches because they are not part of the auto lighting.

In the engine compartment fuse box fuse F17 15A and relay R2 should be checked. Check also fuse F6 5A in the drivers side fuse box.

jonnymalone (03-16-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 12:09 PM

Thanks for the reply's guys. Wiggling the stalk in the one position doesn't do anything. I did take the cover off the steering column and didn't see any obviously lose wires but it could be a bad solder I guess. I'll check the fuses/relay you suggest and see what I can find

Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Jonny, you need to remove the steering wheel to see the wires. If you want to dive further could you please clarify the issue?

Stalk switch:

On= no lights (fog, low or high)
Parking light setting (the one before lights on) - can you turn fog on?
Auto (assuming activated, put black tape over sensor in mirror) - which of these lights now work?

Can you pull turn back and turn on lights with switch in all positions?

All parking lights work right?

John

jonnymalone (03-16-2017)
Old 03-15-2017, 01:47 PM

Thank you all for your help. I have an update on my progress. I have checked the fuses and they are fine but I have now found that pushing the stalk forward i.e into full beam and the lights work as the should. So with the stalked pushed forward the lights work as normal and with the stalk in the standard position its dead unless I set it to auto. The indicators are working fine. I'm guessing it means either a lose wire or I need a new stalk.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:42 PM
Veteran Member

May I assume that the parking, and therefore the fog lights, work normally in any position execpt stalk = off? If so that sure does point to a loose wire.

I've done it 2 or 3 times now - you have to remove the steering wheel. If you don't feel like searching just ask. I/we can provide with a how to that will turn it into a 25 minute job off and get you back on track.

Are you in Somerset New Jersey USA? If so I am 1 town over. If you're in the UK or something you can smile how we Yanks copied so many of your cities names. . .

John

John

jonnymalone (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 04:23 AM

John I love you yanks, to the extent that I have married one (Dani's from York springs, PA) but I am in the English Somerset.
The fog lights work. Basically everything works when the stalk is pushed forward and nothing except for "auto" works in its normal position.
Any help and advice you can offer would be appreciated. The thing I'm most concerned about is the airbag going off.

Old 03-16-2017, 09:54 AM
Veteran Member
Received 401 Likes on 298 Posts

There is a procedure for removing the steering wheel where you don't have to worry about the air bag going off. Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes or something, but don't take my word. I've done it before and it's not too bad, just make sure you have a way to get the wheel lined up straight when you put it back on. (splines)

jonnymalone (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:09 AM
Veteran Member

Thanks for the smile - it hit the spot today.

First here's a photo of the turn signal stalk (tss) wire terminations. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-wires-176642/

It may help with which wire goes where.

How to get there:

Remove lower valence. Loosen 2 bolts at the bottom. You can remove them but easier to reassemble if just nice and loose.

Use fingers to pry top of valance back enough to release the pressure fittings up top. Not too much as to stress wires.

Lift up to release bottom. The pannel has U shaped slots at bottom.

Reach in and disconnect the valet switch wire harness. It comes apart easy but, stay calm if it does, we've all done it and it reassembly is easy.

Reach in and disconnected wire harness for climate control sensor on other side. (Btw this will cause a beep beep alarm when reassembled/ ignition on first time - ignore it)

Remove valance

Now remove steering lower cowl. As I recall this is an anomoly, it uses Phillips screws.

Tilt wheel out all the way. Down all the way. Fiddle with ignition to get it to stay there key in or out with the key and tilt switch off.

Remove screws to lower cowl easy 2do. Remove dimmer knob, unscrew small Phillips screw holding it in. Let it dangle.

Unclip wire harness to tilt switch, tab may be at bottom. Remove cowl.

Loosen screws securing bottom of dash wood pannel. Yes you can get upper cowl out, but can't get it in without loosen and remove these screws.

You will have to disco the battery to put a metal screwdriver in there for the screws s, move your seat back first.

Don't forget on reassembly to place screw in screwdriver head and wrap with tape to secure it as you try to aim for the holes from the bottom.

See the photos in this link to id the 3 screws to come out. It is the hardest part of this job.

Here are photo and instructions:
https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ctions-155390/

Jonny I forgot, if I postEd the screw size in those directions do yourself a favor buy replacement screws before you start (bold underline). I had am really tough time getting a bite on the factory screw heads, neither of us wants to go through that twice.

Ok, now cowl is off. Disconnect the battery. Wait 2 or 3 minutes to protect the air bag from miss fire.

Take off steering wheel. The star screws on back of steering wheel are 5/32 inch. You will have to rotate wheel 90 degrees for side one, then 180 for side 2. Reorient to straight ahead when done.

This will release air bag. Disconnect harness place bag in a position that would be safe if it accidently went off.

Disconnect and unthread wire connections. You will be moving wheel straight back to remove, don't have any wires binding on you.

Get a 15mm socket to unscrew bolt. I made am Mark to reorient steering wheel on reassembly. Take bolt out. You can wiggle the wheel off but be careful it takes a bit of energy - the friction will go to zero at some point and inertia is not your friend here . I scared the crap out of myself the first time, it came flying towards me stopped only by the bloody wire harness! Well you never do that twice.

When off just gently thread wires through the hole.

See the black cover over turn signal connections. Use torqx to remove exposing wire connections.

These tend to separate at the unprotected solder connections. You should be able to see a stump of the wire end sticking out of the solder joint, or see the photo I linked above.

I use am long tip soldering iron don't forget some rosin.

Good luck with it and tell your wife she's missing 2feet of snow back in York this week!

Let us know how it goes.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 03-17-2017 at 08:52 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Johnken:
jonnymalone (03-16-2017), Norri (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 10:25 AM

That's wonderful, thank you for your help. I've printed out your instructions and will attempt to fix it on monday. I spoke to Dani's dad yesterday and he is completely snowed in . Over here 4" of snow brings the country to a standstill, 24" would be like the next Armageddon lol