XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Like driving a Jeep

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Like driving a Jeep

Yesterday, I installed new front shocks and springs on my '99 XK8. This added 2 1/2 " to my ride height. Now I feel like I'm driving a Jeep or SUV ! Does anyone know if the car will settle down a bit?

Old 03-03-2017, 04:33 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Go measure the distance from the center of the wheel to the bottom of the fender.
Should be about 15.5 inches.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:40 PM

It was 14.5" thats why I replaced them. Now its 17" !

Old 03-03-2017, 04:58 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts

Wow.. Big difference.

Did you swap out the mounts too?

Did you measure the rear distance? I'm curious what that distance is.

I guess you should post what parts you used.
Shocks, springs, etc.. Model of each

Old 03-03-2017, 05:33 PM
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Sounds like wrong spring for the application Or... they're not seated correctly?

Old 03-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Received 677 Likes on 551 Posts

If springs and mounts are worn on one end, it makes the other end rise up. Check your rear ride height. It should be 15.75" too. However, at almost 1.5" too high, I might suspect an issue with parts or re-assembly.

Old 03-04-2017, 05:31 PM
Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I was thinking springs when I was looking at my too low car when I first got it. When asking a shop about rebuild he assured me springs don't typically need to be replaced on the xk8, they don't have a sag issue. He was spot on, and my issue was the top mount failure that is an issue with them. My top mounts were completely shot and when replaced along with all the other moving parts in my front end the wheels setup straight and my ride height was perfect. Must be wrong shocks or springs. If you still have the old shocks measure from the top of the lower mount of shock to where the spring sits and see if it is the same on the new shocks that should tell you which is the problem.

Old 03-05-2017, 01:48 PM
Default like driving a jeep

The rear end wheel center to top of arch distance is 16". My upper shock mounts are new, so that can't be the problem. The front wheel center to top of arch is 17", which is only 1 1/4" over the standard tolerance, so not too bad. I think its the wrong springs. When I laid the new springs next to the old, the new are about 1 inch taller, I was thinking the old had sagged. I ordered what was specified, maybe I was sent the wrong ones. The package had no part numbers , so I can't confirm, but the actual spring does have a number stamped on it, but I couldn't cross reference it to anything. Tomorrow I will contact the manufacturer (Lesjofors)

Old 03-05-2017, 09:41 PM
agd
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

This thread is very interesting to me because my Jag's front ride height is also low at 14 inches. I have posted in other threads about it and my plan to replace springs, mounts and shocks.

My first question echoes Anthony's. Where were the parts sourced?

My next question is do I really need to replace springs? TexMurphy's thread on his front end work showed an increase from 13.5 to 15.5 without changing springs. Others have suggested the same, while contradictorily, there are threads that suggest one cannot gain the amount I need with mounts and the lower shock bushing. Since the radius to where the shock mounts at the lower arm is less than the radius out to the lower ball joint, I can see that an increase in the static loaded length of the spring/shock assembly will result in a relatively greater increase in ride height, but will the difference between a collapsed mount and a new one, plus the modest increase provided by a new bushing really give me 1 3/4 inches?

Since SNG Barrett shows front springs available for $75 each, I thought that that incremental additional cost in addition to shocks, gaiters, bump stops, mounts and all the other inevitable hardware bits would be worth it to avoid having to repeat the operation if the other work did not achieve the aim. But after hearing this story, I am not so sure. I do not want to end up with an excessive ride height for a number of reasons including "looks", but mostly that the positive camber change is likely to severely deteriorate handling.

So, whatever other information you can provide, particularly the parts sourcing would be appreciated.

As an aside, I understand the original style spiral tapered lower spring seats have been superceded with flat washer-like ones. Would there be any advantage or downside to retaining the original but stacking one or more of the new style underneath to gain a bit of ride height?

Andy

Last edited by agd; 03-05-2017 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:12 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Andy, I had the same concern about changing or not changing the front springs in my 1999 XK8 with 63K miles. The front ride height was 14 and 14.25 (driver & pass.) and I wasn't sure if upper mounts and other suspension repairs, alone, would restore the correct ride height.
I went ahead and ordered Kilen springs from a supplier in the UK. They arrived, on the east coast, four days later (just under $200, including shipping).
I really dislike doing springs. The near coil bind condition required to get the new springs installed on the shocks (HF compressor) is not fun. The spring on this contraption looks angry as hell all bound up like that. If the compressor is not centered properly the spring will distort and not line up with the upper mount. PITA .
I had no desire to do this twice, so in went the springs. As far as a trial and error with fitting different spacers under the spring, I would advise against it. The springs are just nasty to work with, unless you have a professional grade compressor.
The Kilen springs were specific for my vert, were an inch higher when compared to the old springs, and brought the ride height , with the other suspension fixes to 15.8".
Were the front springs needed? I don't know, since it would have required two installs to find out. I only wanted to do those beastly springs in one pass. Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
agd (03-07-2017)
Old 03-06-2017, 01:39 PM
Default Like driving a jeep

Today I contacted the manufacturer (Lesjofors) to see if I was sold the wrong springs. Waiting for a response. To be honest, the increased ride height sure makes it a hell of a lot easier getting in and out of the car ! Amazing what a difference an inch can make. ( thats what she said !)