XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2015, 05:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?

Is there a list for a 1999 XK8 coupe of all the rubber coolant hoses? I think I already have replacements for the major hoses, at least those I can see, like the upper and lower radiator hoses. But I know there are some that I cannot see that would be prudent to replace on a 15 year old car.
Does anyone have a list of all the rubber hoses that would be good to replace?
Are there other rubber hoses, like vacuum lines, that I ought to also consider replacing?

Old 12-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

2 valley hoses under the intake plenum, the Octopus hose, couple hoses to the TB, the heater core hoses, on my 03 there is a vac line under the intake plenum.
If you intend on buying all hoses, Jagbits.com prob will help you out via email.
If orig you prob should do the Tstat and Tstat housings and WP.

The following users liked this post:
jimmiejag (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 03:32 AM
GGG
Received 16,799 Likes on 12,168 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmiejag
Is there a list for a 1999 XK8 coupe of all the rubber coolant hoses? ........
There's a lot! For the Normally Aspirated model:

1. Radiator
Items 1 and 3

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?-xk8-hoses-0.jpg
(click on the image to enlarge it)

2. Thermostat
Item 8

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?-xk8-hoses-1.jpg

3. Heater Feed
Items 1 and 2

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?-xk8-hoses-2.jpg

4. Water Valve
Items 1, 5, 6 and 8

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?-xk8-hoses-3.jpg

5. Expansion Tank / Recovery Bottle
Items 7, 8 and 17

Listing of all rubber coolant hoses?-xk8-hoses-6.jpg

The most regular failures are the Heater Feed and Expansion Tank to Thermostat.

Graham

jimmiejag (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 09:39 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'll just chime in that I went through a replacement of all the hoses on my 2000 XK8, most were "swollen" as is typical for older hoses near end of life. The most troublesome was the "octopus" hose. The so-called quick release fittings were frozen and the plastic was brittle. Had to cut the hose at those locations.

It is a pretty significant task to replace all the hoses, but really I don't see a point in doing just some of them. Once you get the coolant tank and intake manifold out of the way the access and visibility becomes much easier.

Also, upgrade to the aluminum thermostat housing assembly.

I strongly recommend replacing all the plastic fittings including the check valve tee fitting (connects to the octopus hose). I also replaced the plastic crossover at the front of the engine as I read about some failures and one less thing to go wrong.

When you install the new octopus hose the quick release fitting on the right side will connect to a steel tube fitting under the intake. Because it is an o-ring seal it is vitally important that the surface finish on this tube is excellent (not corroded or pitted) a new fitting is fairly pricey so you might consider replacing the quick release fitting with a straight piece of tubing (make sure it has proper beads and a hose which would be more forgiving of a less than perfect surface finish. The steel fitting is at the top of this photo with the "frozen" Norma quick release fitting still attached. https://www.jaguarforums.com/g/picture/4568571

I found the lower radiator hose to be pretty difficult, but if you remove the fan and shroud assembly access from top and or bottom is much improved.

Last edited by 64vette; 12-15-2015 at 09:47 AM.
jimmiejag (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 11:19 AM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

that lower rad hose was a b*tch. When I had my fuel rail fixed INJECTOR RX dude told me the hard rubber like hose in front, running from one side of fuel rail to the other has a PLASTIC tube in it and that will bust be careful in handling the rails with that hose as it can break the tube in it and leak. He told me mine was busted under a pressure test. He just put a regular gas line hose there for me.
there are TON of hoses on this car. If you plan to keep it long term I would go ahead and replace them. My car is a 03 and I had a leak at the tee connector on the drivers side valley to octo hose and a few bulging hoses. Glad I took it apart.

jimmiejag (12-15-2015)
Old 12-15-2015, 06:41 PM
Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for all the good information.
I have a new WP, thermostat and T-housing and serpentine belt that I plan to replace along with the hoses that you guys have kindly listed.
I replaced the secondary tensioners already. I also have the primary tensioners and new timing chains that I may replace, too.
My XK8 is in good condition and is a second car for me (I have a '99 Explorer beater for a daily driver) so doing preventative maintenance is more of a hobby than necessary work on her.
Updating the rear view mirror, getting the ABS box rebuilt and installing the RealGauge temperature gauge upgrade are on my list for the future, too.
Thanks again.