XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 XKR Inlet Elbow Vacuum Line Problem

Old 11-24-2015, 07:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 2001 XKR Inlet Elbow Vacuum Line Problem

G'day all.

I'm in a quandary and looking for some help on a part number.

I've just removed my supercharger from my 2001 xkr for a rebuild, and am ordering the new gaskets and bits and pieces ready to put her back together...

The one part that I can't find is the little piece that holds the brake servo vacuum tube into the inlet elbow (I think that's what it's called)

A photo of the offending part is attached... Mine simply collapsed and broke apart when I took the hose out of the inlet elbow. It looks like there is a plastic compression insert inside a brass bush of some sort...

The parts diagrams that I've seen of the manifold and brake servo don't suggest that its a part of the actual vacuum hose... but who knows?

does anyone know a part number at all, or an alternate fix?

Cheers
Jack.

Attached Thumbnails 2001 XKR Inlet Elbow Vacuum Line Problem-wp_20151116_15_24_44_pro.jpg  
Old 11-24-2015, 09:04 AM
Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

This might help (read all the posts as there is also a Jag part number).

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...ng-fix-105997/

The following users liked this post:
JackDanielsPlease (11-24-2015)
Old 11-24-2015, 01:22 PM

Awesome... Can't believe I didn't find that post... Thanks.

So that's my last part ordered from SNGBarrett... and hopefully I'm all set to see if I can get the supercharger installed and everything back together in less than the 10 hours it took me to get it all apart!

Wish me luck!

Old 11-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

OP pic is totally diff then the one in the link to that kit above. Our copper fitting is pressed in, I don't think it is threaded.
I fixed this on my 2003 XK8. Is the end of the black tube ok? It appears to be fine in your pic. You don't have to remove that copper housing either. It has a black o-ring (it may be more a baked and a little hard oring by now, mine was) type of thing inside of it that needs to be taken out of the groove it is sitting in and a new one put back in, then there should be a new black piece that goes into the opening of the brass thing in the elbow, then you push your black tube (assume it is is not busted at the end) back in and that black thing grabs hold of the tube and keeps her in place. As I recall that black tube when you push it in it DOES NOT stick out into the elbow. When I did mine I pushed in about right even of the opening on the inside of the elbow. So from the kit you will get the round plastic black catch thing I seem to recall you snap back into the copper fitting then push that tube just far enough, if you push it to far you can't pull the tube back out cause the catch is holding it and I don't know how to uncatch it if you had to move it.
I got the kit from jag bits, let me look up the part #

Last edited by brgjag; 11-24-2015 at 06:38 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:23 PM
Veteran Member

this is the kit you want, Jaguar BRAKE BOOSTER VACUUM HOSE CONNECTOR KIT - C2S15816 from jag bits. If you don't believe me email them that pic you posted and the part number I gave you and they will confirm.
What you (OP) has pic of is EXACTLY what broke on my 03. Mine was not broke till I took off elbow and did not understand how that came out so I broke it, well like you it just fell apart from being old and through a million heat cycles. Again my black tube going into it was fine, I broke the black round catch pc that holds the tube in the intake elbow. You won't get the brass fitting out and you really do not have too if it is ok. As I said take the old o ring out of it, put the one from the kit back in it, again there is a groove it sits in, can't mess that up.

Last edited by brgjag; 11-24-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 11-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Veteran Member

Note that link top that OTHER fix for a 04 XJR, that elbow in that pic is totally diff then the one in our cars.
I just noticed that the link I gave is for an X type but it is the part kit I got and it worked, and that is the part number on my bill for it.

Last edited by brgjag; 11-24-2015 at 06:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JackDanielsPlease (11-25-2015)
Old 11-25-2015, 02:41 AM

Awesome guys... thanks.

I got a bit confused myself as my inlet elbow and vacuum connectors look different to the photos in the links above, and I'd read that there are actually different sizes of connector available. People are also talking about x-types and s-types and x308's.... and I know that the inlet manifold is different on the 4.2's to account for the bulbous rear bearings in the blower.

And then my inlet elbow doesn't look quite the same as the ones in the parts catalogue for an '01 (4.0l) XKR either...

At £7 from SNG Barrett, I'm going to be optimistic and take a punt on Jaguar using a standard part across different model inlet elbows and I've ordered in a C2S15816 with the other bits that I needed. I'll phone SNG Barrett before they dispatch the order to see if they can lock it down as well.

I will update the thread once I've had a look at it and hopefully plugged it in. If it doesn't fit, I've at least got other options available now, which is far more comforting than where I was at a day ago.

Thanks for your time gents (and ladies).

Jack.

Old 11-29-2015, 02:55 PM
Veteran Member

My part I showed you is correct. Your elbow is the same as my 03, that pic of the repair part in the link someone else posted here is not for out xk8.

Old 11-29-2015, 03:48 PM

Thanks BRGJag. I'm sure you're right.

The waters are a bit muddy unfortunately, since mines an '01 4.0l XKR, not an '03 XK8, so the inlet manifold elbow actually connects to the supercharger inlet, plus the 4.0 and 4.2 litre engines had a slightly different inlet face on the supercharger due to the supercharger rear bearings being proud on the 4.2 litre engines, so i'm fairly sure that the 4.2 inlet elbows on the xkr's are subtly different.

To compound the problem further... whilst mine is a 4.0 litre engine, with what looks like a 4.0 XKR throttle body (at least it works... it matches diagrams that i've seen, and the JTIS instructions are accurate when removing it)... some PO has replaced the 4.0 supercharger with a 4.2 supercharger at some point, and then fabricated a custom inlet elbow to supercharger gasket so that my 4.0 inlet manifold would seal against it properly. That's if I've actually got a standard 4.0 XKR inlet manifold. It could possibly be off a different model supercharged jag...I've no idea what's been done previously.

Then to add more confusion to the mix... poring over the Workshop manual and SNG Barrett parts diagrams for the throttle body, supercharger and EGR (which have diagrams of the inlet elbow)... my elbow doesn't look the same as the diagrams for an '01 4.0l XKR that I've seen..., or the 4.2,and certainly not the 4.0 xk8...Not sure about an '03 XK8 mind.

Nothing is ever simple with a 15yo car is it?

Not suggesting that you're wrong though...

Anyway, I've ordered that part in and think it will likely fit, and will update the post with the story once she's up and purring again.

Cheers again mate.

Jack.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:55 PM
Veteran Member

yea it seems you have a can of worms there but the elbow that you took a pic of is off your car you have now? If so that tube that goes into the elbow you show is just like my 03 and the kit from Jagbits I listed is what fixed that small issue.

Last edited by brgjag; 11-29-2015 at 06:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:24 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,207 Likes on 1,700 Posts

This is my repair to my vacuum leak at the same hose. It is at near the end of my report I hope it helps.

Link JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource

Old 01-02-2016, 11:15 AM

Sorry for the delay in updating and closing off this thread. Been busy with Xmas and random misfire codes....

The kit listed in the thread does indeed fit and with my replacement blower back on and a couple of coils swapped around and the antifreeze that seeped into the plug wells cleaned out, Jelly the Jag is purring again quite nicely.

For those looking at this in the future... be aware that Jaguar actually sell 3 different size vacuum connector units, but the C2S15816 one does indeed fit the standard XK8/R manifold for the late model 4.0's.

Don't do what I did and trial fit the plastic insert in the brass sheath without putting the o-ring in first... you then have to take it out again. Just pop the new o-ring into your existing brass manifold sheath, then insert the plastic retainer, toothed side first, to hold the o-ring in place, then leave it alone till it's back in the car and ready for it's vacuum line.

Thanks for all your help ladies and gents... you're helping me afford to keep Jelly on the road, pumping my money into parts rather than diagnosis and labour costs...

Jack