XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Indicator Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 12:31 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Side Indicator Question

Is it normal on an "01 XKR for the side indicators/flashers (the ones behind the front wheels) to stay lit after you lock and walk away from the vehicle?

Mine stay on constantly for about 10 minutes after the car is locked.

I also have a fast flashing indicator signal on the dash which I believe is an indication of a bulb problem.

The only bulbs that are out are the internal rear roof light and one of the internal luggage compartment lights. The rest of the bulbs, and all of the external bulbs all work OK.

I've checked the grounds that seem linked to the external lights, as per the lighting electrical diagram and they look fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Jack.

Old 12-22-2015, 04:33 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,291 Likes on 1,503 Posts

Hi JD,
Has someone replaced the indicators with LED bulbs? That could fool the BPM into thinking there is a dud somewhere.

Separately, I have fitted LED front sidelamps, which are permanently faintly illuminated and remain so for several minutes after locking up: i.e. until the electronics go to sleep.
Although they are not not bright enough to be easily visible in daylight, the behaviour sounds similar to that of your side repeaters which (I think) flash along with the indicators when the car locks.

HTH,
Mike

Old 12-22-2015, 05:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,106 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by michaelh
Has someone replaced the indicators with LED bulbs? That could fool the BPM into thinking there is a dud somewhere.

Separately, I have fitted LED front sidelamps, which are permanently faintly illuminated and remain so for several minutes after locking up: i.e. until the electronics go to sleep.
Although they are not not bright enough to be easily visible in daylight, the behaviour sounds similar to that of your side repeaters which (I think) flash along with the indicators when the car locks.
+1

There is a lingering voltage, not high enough to light a standard bulb but enough for some LEDs.

I saw the same with LED bulbs and it was quite a surprise (and creepy) in the dark garage.

Changing to the "CANBUS" LED bulbs, those with the pull down resistors built into them, solved the problem.

The following users liked this post:
JackDanielsPlease (01-02-2016)
Old 01-02-2016, 11:22 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes.. it was cheap LED's. Both front parking lights, both side indicators and both front indicator bulbs had been swapped out for non canbus compliant LED's, probably at great expense.

Put stock standard bulbs back in at a cost of maybe £5 all up, and my indicator sounder is back to its normal, sedate, ticking rythmn.

There's something calming about a nice slow indicator ticking sound isn't there...

Cheers all.

Jack.