XJ ( X351 ) 2009 - 2019

part number for the adaptitive headlights vs normal headlights ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 03:42 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
Default part number for the adaptitive headlights vs normal headlights ?

Hi there,

I have a question - does the headlight casing, with adaptative headlights have a different part number from the non-adaptative ? (more in detail, I want to know if the front lights with auto-beam assist vs non auto beam assist are the same)

Few people here have access to the Jaguar XJ part catalogue, so I ask them to see if this is true.

My goal is to replace the rear view mirror with one that has the frontal sensor for the auto beam assist ( which lowers the lights on incoming traffic ), since I presume there isnt a difference in adaptative headlights ( or lights with auto beam assist ) vs non adaptative headlights, just the front sensor in the front mirror.

This is due that in Europe, all HID cars are force to have a self leveling system - and this can be seen in my Jaguar, when I start up the lights go up and down.

So perhaps if I buy this : 10 11 12 13 14 Jaguar XJ Rear View Mirror Garage Door Opener Automatic Dimming | eBay I can get auto beam assist ?

Thanks in advance for an answer !

Old 10-20-2015, 04:35 PM
Veteran Member
Received 587 Likes on 360 Posts

I'm assuming from your country that you are working with a LHD vehicle. Parts for the headlamp assembly are:

Headlamp, assembly, RH, LHD, Except USA, active/adaptive front lighting:
To VIN V39426 - C2D3168
From VIN V39427 - C2D32879

Headlamp, assembly, LH, LHD, Except USA, active/adaptive front lighting:
To VIN V39426 - C2D3176 (superceeded to below)
From VIN V39427 - C2D35901

Headlamp, assembly, [b]RH, LHD, Except USA, Except active/adaptive front lighting:
C2D3172

Headlamp, assembly, LH, LHD, Except USA, Except active/adaptive front lighting:
C2D3180

The rear view mirrors have too many variations to list, but they are distinct for both options and the stem covers are also unique.

Looking at the electrical schematics on TOPIx your vehicle will not have the required wiring to support retrofitting the adaptive lighting. Circuit option code JBBBA is for normal xenon headlamps and JBBBB is for the adaptive-xenon headlamps. Your car will not have any of the wiring that is shown in the schematics with 'JBBBB'. This includes everything on "417-01 Exterior Lighting, Headlamps - adaptive front lighting system", and I suspect the headlamp control module is also omitted from your vehicle.

I've attached the relevant part of the schematic to this post. Should you go so far as replacing the harnesses or adapting them to suit you may also find that you are locked out from reprogramming those features into the ECUs even if you buy a programming subscription to SDD. You may be able to hack the vehicle configuration file first and get it to work by reprogramming the modules, but there is absolutely no guarantee that will work.

Sadly it won't just be a case of replacing the wiring and adding the modules - there will certainly be programming involved with the X351. Personally I wouldn't attempt it because the barriers are very high for very little reward. I stripped my XJR to the bare metal to respec it how I wanted and that experience taught me that whilst practically anything is possible to retrofit, you will need to spend weeks, not days or hours, knee deep in hex editors and wiring diagrams to have any chance, and it will cost you the price of a new car so you've got to be very sentimentally attached to the one you are keeping.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
The following users liked this post:
Goncalo Proenca (10-20-2015)
Old 10-20-2015, 04:52 PM
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

First of all, thank you very much for such detailed and informative answer.

I do live in a LHD country ( Portugal, to be more precise ) and I emailed pretty much every Jaguar dealer in Spain and in France, also a few in the UK asking about this.

I still have a glimpse of hope - while it seems, according to your diagram, a royal pain in the **** to retrofit full adaptative headlamps, I do have hopes that getting auto-beam-assist wont be that hard ; again, my lights have the up and down motion ( all European car xenon lights are required by law to have self leveling ) so, theoretically should be easy peasy to get autobeam to work, provided I have a rear view mirror with the sensor that detects incoming lights.

According to your diagram, there are two motors in the lights : one for leveling and going up and down and another one that they call AFS which are for the directional lights ( left and right ).

The programming part does indeed scares me since there is an option to disable the autobeam - which means it isnt something that is 100% on all the time, which is bad and therefore involves programming

Lets see what the dealers say ; worst case scenario I will have 30 emails in the morning, in Spanish, English and French pretty much saying "nope, you are stuck with your options".

But again, a big big thank you for such informative post !