XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

Looked at a few xk's this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Looked at a few xk's this weekend

I have been hit with the XK bug. This past weekend I look at 3 different cars. 1 01 KXR vert, 1 01 XKR coupe, and a 02 XK8 coupe. All of them had around 100k miles on them and you can really tell who took care of their cars.

The xk8 coupe was in the best mechanical, and drivable condition, however it was a parking lot warrior who had plenty of curb rash on the wheels and dings \ marks on all four corners. I was very underwhelmed by the power the NA motor produces.
It was quick, but not fast. They did want the least amount for it @$4500.

The xkr Vert is a no go. My wife shot me down when we pulled into the parking spot next to it. It was by far the most well kept as in looks, but had black and very old motor oil. Old tires with lots of tread. looks as though it was some ones toy who got bored with it and let it sit for a few years out in the back garage. he wanted 12K. I though he was a nice guy and let him know my wife didn't want a convertible.

Then the XKR coupe. It came from AZ and yes you can tell, just about every piece of rubber on it was dry and hard. The suspension needed a complete rebuild it knocked, thunked and pulled all over the road.It did run awesome, was the fastest one of the 3 I drove. I think it had the pulley upgrade as it felt much more umph than the vert. but the suspension was sloppy so I didn't get to crazy with it. This guy wanted $7k for it.

any way I am on the look out but I dont think I have found the one yet...

Old 02-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

I'd keep on finding until the right one shows up! Cheers.

Originally Posted by BlooDSMeaR
I have been hit with the XK bug. This past weekend I look at 3 different cars. 1 01 KXR vert, 1 01 XKR coupe, and a 02 XK8 coupe. All of them had around 100k miles on them and you can really tell who took care of their cars.

The xk8 coupe was in the best mechanical, and drivable condition, however it was a parking lot warrior who had plenty of curb rash on the wheels and dings \ marks on all four corners. I was very underwhelmed by the power the NA motor produces.
It was quick, but not fast. They did want the least amount for it @$4500.

The xkr Vert is a no go. My wife shot me down when we pulled into the parking spot next to it. It was by far the most well kept as in looks, but had black and very old motor oil. Old tires with lots of tread. looks as though it was some ones toy who got bored with it and let it sit for a few years out in the back garage. he wanted 12K. I though he was a nice guy and let him know my wife didn't want a convertible.

Then the XKR coupe. It came from AZ and yes you can tell, just about every piece of rubber on it was dry and hard. The suspension needed a complete rebuild it knocked, thunked and pulled all over the road.It did run awesome, was the fastest one of the 3 I drove. I think it had the pulley upgrade as it felt much more umph than the vert. but the suspension was sloppy so I didn't get to crazy with it. This guy wanted $7k for it.

any way I am on the look out but I dont think I have found the one yet...

Old 02-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

I'd keep looking. I found my lovely 2006 XK8 coupe for $12,000 in Oregon. I only considered 2003 or newer and only coupes. I first considered a nice 2005 XKR coupe in So Cal. More pristine but nearly double the money and in a color I found less appealing. I have been quite satisfied with the NA 4.2-liter/6-speed performance and actually prefer the less flashy look of the base XK8 over that of the R.

Old 02-07-2017, 02:02 PM
Received 243 Likes on 146 Posts

Keep looking. What part of Oregon are you in? I had considered this one, don't know if it is still available. It's a NA vert, so I dunno if it would even interest you. He would go down to at least $8500 when I last talked to him, but I never drove out to see it.

https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/5952241780.html

Good luck!

Last edited by chillyphilly; 02-08-2017 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Due to me wanting to take it to the track, and my wife's hair, a convertible is not an option. After owning one years ago I said I wouldn't own one. Only reason I went to look at it, was because it is a XKR. And I wanted to get a feel for what the jag is. I have to look at a few more to see what feels right. I am seriously considering the xk8 coupe as it was the color combo I like, along with the possibility of me buying a wrecked xkr and do the complete swap.

Old 02-07-2017, 03:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,274 Likes on 699 Posts

Better to look for an X150 (2007+) than an X100 if you want to take it to the track. An X100 may disappoint you.

Old 02-07-2017, 06:02 PM
hm1
Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts

These are not track cars. Xkr is the way to go, but I wouldn't be buying an xkr for under $10k. Take your time and find a nice one

Old 02-07-2017, 08:44 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

to the original poster - keep looking if you're really sold on the x100 coupe. They are out there.. fact I'm thinking of selling mine... but mine is a convertible..

I will say it's worth paying for less problems up front but that's just my opinion.