XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It looks like I'm joining the band '97 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default It looks like I'm joining the band '97 XK8

I'm writing just to thank everyone for all the great information on these cars. Amazing really, that so much info is available at my fingertips. I expect that comment just underlines my age and I sure that most people think, rightly, that my jones for one of these flashy cars is a case of late life crisis. I just made the deal this morning on a '97 XK8 with 37000 miles for 10 grand. Just beautiful and showing very little wear. It looks like it's never been wet. Sorry for the gushing. Tomorrow it goes to our Jag dealer in Clarksville for a $190 pre-purchase inspection. I'm mainly looking for the recall/service history and such, and a evaluation on the Nikasil engine. Assuming all goes OK the deal will be final. Still there's going plenty to update. It's likely that I'll be back here quite a bit.

PS. That's my brother in law and nephew in the buggy. I think it's prudent not to subject you innocents to my mug. I guess the buggy's for sale now.
Thanks again all.

Old 02-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

great deal - hope inspection turns out well and welcome to the club! The electronic parts catalog and the JTIS service manual are 2 must downloads once you purchase the car. If you haven't found them yet, they are in the XK8/XKR section along with a ton of how-to video's etc.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:13 PM
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the Forum, and especially the '97 'low mileage' band!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 369 Likes on 228 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

That's a low miles car, for sure. I've got a 1997 as well, and it's running very well thank you. It does take some care and attention, but if you've got the time and the inclination, your 1997 will bring you many years of happiness.

There are certainly a few issues you'll need to address right away in your car, the most important being the secondary timing chain tensioners. Yours are plastic, which crack and eventually break, leading to the death of the engine. New metal-bodied tensioners can replace your old plastic ones, and that particular problem will be solved.

We're here to help...best of luck with the inspection and potential purchase!

Old 02-18-2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,540 Likes on 1,411 Posts

Welcome to the club! There will be periods of aggravation but mostly times of exhilaration. You would be well-served, however, to heed the Coupe's advice above, and have the tensioners changed to the latest metal version as soon as possible. Avoid the most serious problem in advance. Happy motoring.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:42 AM

You betcha fellas. I'm also going to install the Gus inspired pressure regulator to the top mech.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

Don't forget the good advice re the tensioners.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Searching this forum I've come to the conclusion: the cars that are driven have fewer mechanical problems then those that spend most of their life sitting in the garage. My 110K '98 XK8 convert. runs like a top. Only engine work was tensioners at 36K in 2006 when I bought the car. Original owner put 27K in 7 years. 2nd owner put 9K in 1 year. Have a slight oil leak @ corner of cam cover which drips on exhaust and doesn't reach the floor. Uses less then 1/2 a quart in 5K. My suggestion use your Jag. Jack

Old 02-19-2013, 03:15 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,782 Likes on 2,226 Posts

An upgrade that I consider essential is the Realgauge mod designed by Steve at thejagwrangler.com. I have both the oil pressure and temp. versions. The temp gauge is useless for showing an overtemp condition; the engine can be cooked before you are aware of a problem. Has anyone mentioned replacing the thermostat housing with an aluminum one? That could prevent a leak in the future. While you're in there a new thermostat and radiator hoses are a wise investment, also.
Any money left? Your Jag will help solve that problem.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:52 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

Sweet. I had a blue '97 with chrome wheels. It looked like ice in the summer. I loved it. Enjoy!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Veteran Member

I forgot to mention the water pump. Early cars had a pump whose impeller was known to disintegrate.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 AM

All points well taken. I had it on the lift last evening and found a few of the built-in problems. It needs the bushings replaced, the trans has seeped some and the seal behind the rear universal has slung a little goop. No blow by found so far.
I just got a chance to unspool it a little this morning. It' going to the dealer in an little while and I should have the go, no go decision this morning. Actually I'm optimistic judging by the results so far. I'll do a post on the car later since you folks read them and around here only my nephew will get within 10 feet of me if the car subject comes up.

Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 AM
Veteran Member

Is the transmission pan leaking? No big deal, you may want to change the filter and fluid, anyway. The differential input shaft is a different story. You may not want to take that on, but it will certainly be a price issue. Sounds like you should be able to talk it down a fair amount. These cars are good for a lot of miles if driven and maintained properly, so low mileage is not critical, and may be a negative for seals. Speaking of which, could that transmission leak actually be the rear main seal?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:37 AM
Veteran Member
Received 687 Likes on 590 Posts

The commonest place for a transmission leak is the electrical connector - replace it when you have the pan off for an oil change anyway.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:04 PM

Well the results are back from the Jag dealer and it's what I anticipated. The engine is sound and all recalls and such were done by the 1st owner, a doctor in FL. The doc passed the car to his brother who sold it to his friend, the woman I'm buying it from. The brother was available to discuss the car. It's, obviously, always been garaged. I's been driven decreasingly less in the past 5 years by its last owner who sold it to me and was dismayed that I drove it home in the rain. No leaks BTW.

Jag says:

Console cup launcher 333.00
Replace rearview mirror 419.00
Visor doors 990.00 cheap at twice the price!
L lower ball joint 1000.00
Rear dif pinion seal 775.00
Alignment 480.00

Very rewarding experience indeed. Even the detailer wore cuff links. I felt like a turd in the punchbowl. Funny though, no mention of tensioners, pumps or other Jag failings.

I saw play in the control arm bushings too so I think the whole front end needs redone. And the tensioners, of course. And the cooling sys. And the guage upgrade. The top hydros. The dif seal... The cup launcher....

What the hell it's only money and this is one sweet ride. Like many boys I built model cars and my favorite was the XKE which passed by from time to time. Being nearly 60, I remember Keith Richards before he looked like a Muppet. But I actually remember the first time I saw an XK8 and thought it was killer. Wanted one ever since. So please don't mind if I'm lurking around the site. I think you guys already put me on the right track.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,981 Likes on 2,123 Posts

Par for the course. The dealers never mention the tensioners. Do the tensioners first, then the Russian roulette will be history.

Let me know if I can help with anything, I am less than an hour away.

You are also near English Auto in Odenton, which is a good independent shop.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Veteran Member

As you have probably seen from visiting the forum, the cup holder can usually be repaired at near zero expense and the mirror for $100. The rest of the list is also much inflated, I think. But what are visor doors?

Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Received 77 Likes on 57 Posts

I had that pinion seal "seepage" when I bought mine. In a literal way, if I were buying this car, I would get that thing topped off ASAP (which is not easy unfortunately). If you can hear a whirring sound out of there the fluid may be really low and the gears in jeopardy. Happy you enjoyed the dealer experience. You have some good Indy's near you so test those prices! Enjoy! Jac

Old 02-20-2013, 08:46 PM
Received 149 Likes on 118 Posts

Welcome aboard! Screw the dealer, they're only good for getting VIN-matched touch-up paint, and even that can probably be done online. I'm new enough here that I can't provide any good parts sites yet, but buy your hardware online, and grab used parts in working shape when needed. It appears there's a XK8 that gets parted out on here from time to time.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:31 AM
Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Powdercoater, just following fixes described in this forum and buying on ebay, you can save 75% on the first 3 items your dealer gave you quotes for. Being retired and on a fixed income has made this forum a God send to me. Don't get me wrong I had a great relationship with my dealer I just didn't want to throw money away if I could do it myself. Remember driving the car keeps everything circulating and lubed. Jack

Quick Reply: It looks like I'm joining the band '97 XK8