XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of requests/problems posted tonite

Old 04-01-2011, 09:59 PM
Received 108 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Lots of requests/problems posted tonite

Very busy nite tonight...sorry for everyones new problems. Must be lots of new owners...however, as the world catches on about the great value these are, the prices may just start climbing! That is if the reliablity doesn't hold them back.

Old 04-01-2011, 10:47 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,110 Likes on 932 Posts

The concern I have is that the college + crowd has found the XJ/XK value. Not that they do not have a right to seize such a great opportunity but they bring a completely different personality to a forum. I have been on the Volvo forums for a while and they have completely converted to 'kids' trying to get 500 RWH out of a 4 cylinder for slip/slide competition or what ever they call it.

Have had to move to a more mature forum.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:45 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Time to crank up the "mega, epic, monster, FTW!!!!!!!', magic platinum duct tape thread. GURUNTEEEEEED 75+++++ RWHP FOR EACH FOOT STUCK TO THE TAILDUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... and of course the inevitable debates over 6000K, 7000K, 8000K bulbs trumped by .... 10000K FTW!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by plums; 04-01-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:14 AM
Veteran Member
Received 1,257 Likes on 563 Posts

I, for one, absolutely, positively cannot handle juvenile posts in threads.

On a serious note, I wouldn't mind juvenile posts, I just don't want to see people butchering these cars with neon lights, 24 inch rims, giant whale-tail spoilers, two-tone paint schemes that fade from one color to the next, and loud exhaust systems with oversized exhaust tips.

Hmmm... forget that last one.

Oh yeah... the first time I see an XK8 with a zig-zag antenna I think I'll probably claw my eyes out.

I don't think we'll be very likely to see tricked out XK8s. The ones down in that price range are probably having mechanical issues. Not many people want to spend $5000 tricking out a car only to have to continually drive around in "limp home" mode.

Last edited by Reverend Sam; 04-02-2011 at 12:18 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Yeah, the XK is a value. I want another one. I've been looking too. I think a matching triple black 06 XKR is calling my name.

(no I won't get rid of my 97 either)

Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 AM
Veteran Member
Received 576 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
On a serious note, I wouldn't mind juvenile posts, I just don't want to see people butchering these cars with neon lights, 24 inch rims, giant whale-tail spoilers.
Hahaha do I have a treat for you....... I am one who likes a challenge and when a customer came to me with an early 96 XK8 he was missing the high level brake light, he also wanted a spoiler with the brake light fitted.

There are few options, you can fit the X150 spoiler but it over hangs the boot lid slightly, and there is one other I know of that is made to measure but very expensive.

I sent him forth into the world of Ebay.... He found one, only $30 delivered, a bargain by most counts!

If you can tell me what car this spoiler came off originally I will be impressed, but just remember he not only got me to fit it but also raise it 3"

Name:  BOB1.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  82.7 KB

Old 04-02-2011, 02:26 AM
Veteran Member
Received 2,166 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Oh by the way, please remember to start coaching people that "gonna" and "wanna" are not real words.

And .... it's not "walla", or "viola" or any other such variant. It is "voila".

Old 04-02-2011, 06:27 AM
Veteran Member
Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce
Oh by the way, please remember to start coaching people that "gonna" and "wanna" are not real words.

Then again, as some wise man once noted, anybody who can only think of one way to spell a word has no imagination.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:07 AM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fla Steve
Very busy nite tonight...sorry for everyones new problems. Must be lots of new owners...however, as the world catches on about the great value these are, the prices may just start climbing! That is if the reliablity doesn't hold them back.
I have owned a few classic/collectibles the XK8-R is still about ten years out so its way early but if you are inclined to think in that direction here are a few things I learned, most by making mistakes

Minor modifications outside of the realm of safety are a no no.
Correctly done, proven, major modifications are OK but will move the car into a different (not better not worse) class
Fixing factory defects is a plus
Production numbers for the XK are relatively low this is a big plus.
Every car ever made has its prime most collectible production years. This is determined by stock performance/styling/color combo. Without knowing what the future holds for the XK series I would guess based on a combo of performance and styling i.e. 4.2, 6 speed, classic interior/exterior styling that the 03-04 years will be the "cherry" years in the future

But who cares about all of this! These are fantastic cars with a hard to find combination of style/performance/comfort/and class. The most important thing I learned from the time I bought my first toy 20 years ago (55 Belair 2 door post) up until today is to enjoy these cars and drive them. Worrying about a rock chip or future value is no fun.

Old 04-02-2011, 03:31 PM
Veteran Member
Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by plumsauce

People who misuse they're/their/there and your/you're/ur bother me more. txt speak kiddies drive me nuts. I also like people who are concise and don't use confusing grammar.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by lorwood
But who cares about all of this! These are fantastic cars with a hard to find combination of style/performance/comfort/and class. The most important thing I learned from the time I bought my first toy 20 years ago (55 Belair 2 door post) up until today is to enjoy these cars and drive them. Worrying about a rock chip or future value is no fun.
Well said, Lorwood. About 25 years ago I needed to repaint my 1971 Corvette LT-1. I couldn't get the stock "Steel Cities Gray" in Imron so I went totally berserk and did it in the two-tone blue it is today. Over the years I've added a 5-speed tranny, 1978 Pace car wheels, better sound and the far more comfy seats from a 1994 40th Anniversary Edition. I've also gotten about 100 extra horses without changing the external look of the engine. Had that car for 40 years and 213,000 miles now and still love it.

When I show it, the "purists" always rag on me for not keeping it stock, but all their wives drool over it. I have kept all of the stock parts I've removed in case someone wants to restore it someday. Doing the same thing with the XK8, (keeping all parts) although I will never modify it that much. It's too close to perfect the way it is.

Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by XK8+XJ8L
Well said, Lorwood. About 25 years ago I needed to repaint my 1971 Corvette LT-1. I couldn't get the stock "Steel Cities Gray" in Imron so I went totally berserk and did it in the two-tone blue it is today. Over the years I've added a 5-speed tranny, 1978 Pace car wheels, better sound and the far more comfy seats from a 1994 40th Anniversary Edition. I've also gotten about 100 extra horses without changing the external look of the engine. Had that car for 40 years and 213,000 miles now and still love it.

When I show it, the "purists" always rag on me for not keeping it stock, but all their wives drool over it. I have kept all of the stock parts I've removed in case someone wants to restore it someday. Doing the same thing with the XK8, (keeping all parts) although I will never modify it that much. It's too close to perfect the way it is.
Sweet Vet. And most important is how much fun it has given you over the years. +1 on the xk8 the car is perfect stock.

One other lesson/ opinion I usually keep to myself, those Barrett Jackson/Mecam Auction etc. bidders you see on TV really do overpay for cars!

Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,143 Likes on 749 Posts

Xkracer, wheres the wing from? I googled a few guesses I had and nothing looks like it.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:17 PM

XK8+XJ8L, I agree...to retain value, the best way is to keep it stock. I painted my 62 Vette a 76 Vette Blue color. The girls love it as do I. As you may know, blue was not offered in 62! I have a 61 jewel blue interior done in a 62 pattern by Al Knock. The car is not matching #s so I didn't care. However; if your LT1 is/was matching/original...then you really devalued it..which you are aware of, BUT if you love it then that's all that matters.

I started a thread on this topic a few months ago...modifications. Some, like an antenna switch are okay, performance mods that can be undone someday (like exhaust) are ok. Body mods NO. I remember all those Vettes that had fender flares; they had to be undone later! These cars are so unique (low production) you really don't need to "personalize" them. When the pendulum swings and they start appreciating, and they will tfor sure, the more original, the greater the value. An example is the clear maker lenses. I thought about it for a bit, but in the end I'm keeping mine stock..except the exhaust. Purchased but not yet installed Nameless Hi Flow CATS/downpipes. The original stock pipes/CATS/mufflers will be saved for sure.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:21 PM
Veteran Member

An example is the clear maker lenses. I thought about it for a bit, but in the end I'm keeping mine stock.
Hey... I LIKE my clear lenses. Of course, I kept the original orange ones and it will take me all of three minutes to switch them back if I ever want to.

I wonder what's going to happen 50 years from now when GPS satellites have been replaced by something completely and the nav systems are even more useless than they are today. There will be no way to make the nav system on a "stock" XK8 work. The clock won't even work since it needs the GPS signal to know the time.

On the other hand, maybe the GPS signal will still be the same and you can use your antique XK8 to see how the roads have changed since 2003.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Reverend Sam
Hey... I LIKE my clear lenses. Of course, I kept the original orange ones and it will take me all of three minutes to switch them back if I ever want to.

I wonder what's going to happen 50 years from now when GPS satellites have been replaced by something completely and the nav systems are even more useless than they are today. There will be no way to make the nav system on a "stock" XK8 work. The clock won't even work since it needs the GPS signal to know the time.

On the other hand, maybe the GPS signal will still be the same and you can use your antique XK8 to see how the roads have changed since 2003.
I don't think the functionality of something like GPS will matter in 50 years as much as the unit being present in the car. You have to think of it as a history lesson. So just seeing what will be "ancient" technology in real life will really be all that matters. The best example I can think of is the 8 track tape player. For a short time these were an option in some cars and once in a while you will see a classic with a stock 8 track. The owner may even have a few tapes for show on the front seat but I never met any classic owner who today would take a chance of total destruction by popping in one of these old tapes. There just cool to see.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:48 PM

XK8+XJ8L, I agree...to retain value, the best way is to keep it stock. . . . . . if your LT1 is/was matching/original...then you really devalued it..which you are aware of, BUT if you love it then that's all that matters.
Ah, yes. It is an original, numbers matching LT-1. But again, I have all the parts to restore it, I just happen to love it this way. It has a personality all its own which, I guess, reflects my personality. I suspect that I'm mellowing a bit though, since I'm beginning to MUCH perfer driving the XK8. Here's a link to some pictures of it in the "Off Topic/Other Rides" thread: https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/o...e6/#post279630

Cheers,

Old 04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
Default New XKR Single Piston Calipers!!!

Lorwood, I like it! Nice paint job.

Sorry, hope I didn't offend anyone. I like the clear lenses too. I saw a post where you had to cut apart the factory marker and glue them onto the housing. The smart thing to do then, would be to buy used lenses and modify them; while putting the original ones away for the future.

One mod I've considered is installing Brembo brakes, if I can find used calipers and brackets. But honestly, I don't think I really drive the car hard enough to justify the expense. Guess I really don't need them, but they sure look cool. Now interestingly..I was surprised to learn the new MY2011 XKR, has single piston calipers; albeit on 15" rotors. Why do you suppose that is? A 510HP car; 3850 lbs. Don't tell me for cost reasons. I mean on a $100K car they are going to install the best you would think. I don't understand.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:19 PM

Sorry, hope I didn't offend anyone. I like the clear lenses too. I saw a post where you had to cut apart the factory marker and glue them onto the housing. The smart thing to do then, would be to buy used lenses and modify them; while putting the original ones away for the future.
I totally agree with Steve on this one. 1) It was impossible to remove my amber lenses without chipping them some, making them unusable for restoration. 2) I also screwed up the reflective surface on the backplate. Not that it is noticeable with the lens installed, but I wouldn't want to use them for restoration. The outfit I bought my lenses from also sells a complete replacement unit with the clear lenses, albeit for more money. If I was to do it again, that is what I would buy. I was Penny-wise and Pound-foolish.

I've learned a lot from the mistakes of other Jaggers on this forum. Hope you can learn from mine.

Cheers,

Old 04-05-2011, 01:36 PM
Veteran Member

Lorwood, I like it! Nice paint job.

I think that was XJ8+XK8. I just replaced the side markers right behind the wheel well. It was a just a matter of popping the orange ones out and the new ones in. I still have the entire orange assemblies intact.

One mod I've considered is installing Brembo brakes, if I can find used calipers and brackets. But honestly, I don't think I really drive the car hard enough to justify the expense. Guess I really don't need them, but they sure look cool.
I'm actually ashamed to admit this, but I bought myself some of those fake Brembo caliper covers on eBay and installed them a couple of weeks ago. I really wish they didn't say "Brembo" on them in big letters, I just wanted the look of the red calipers. The caliper paint I used last fall wasn't holding up like I hoped it would. The caliper covers look really nice, however. In hindsight I wish I had trimmed them down a little more because they seem to sit a little too close to the wheel. They were only $30 including shipping, so I might buy myself another set. They are glued in place so I'm sure they will be destroyed when removing them.