XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance questions 05 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Maintenance questions 05 XK8

Hey folks my XK8 just hit 60K and I am currently doing a whole lot of maintenance to it:

I just did the Tranny fluid (Shop did this this to the tune of $900)

Spark Plugs ... I know it can last to 100K but the car is 12 years old now and never had plug change

Did the coolant/thermostat housing( it was leaking progressive worse since last year) I found a crack in the plastic

Did the belt, it was starting to make chirping noise..it's gone now.

Bled the brake fluids

Now for my questions:

1. When should I change the Power steering fluids? and how? is there a drain plug?

2. The headliner on the driver side is starting to sag, how do I fix this?

3. My third brake light went out, searched this forum and found a cheap option to fix it however the led light bar that was in forum is no longer for sale...anyone know a good substitute?

Other than that I've had the Jag for 2 years and it's been pretty awesome getting attentions in the gas station, parking lots and random persons...can't say the same for my friend's 2015 M3 ...LOL

Anyway thank's for the tips

Old 05-05-2017, 06:58 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,487 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Originally Posted by zidjan
When should I change the Power steering fluids? and how? is there a drain plug?
I think there are 2 ways to do it. The easy way and the right way.

The easy way involves getting the tank empty of the old fluid with a syringe, then refill with new fluid, run the engine for a bit and then repeat a couple of times. The old fluid gets diluted, and you repeat the process until you are convinced it is diluted enough. Folks do 1 liter of new fluid, I believe. This is the home garage solution.

The right way involves disconnecting the return line and direct it to a container for disposal. Then, there is apparently a special funnel to put on the tank that you fill up with new fluid. Then you run the engine. The old fluid gets dumped into the container, and the new fluid is properly supplied from the special funnel without making a mess. Then you eventually stop the engine and put the return line back on the tank. This is the way shops do it.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:09 PM
Received 323 Likes on 211 Posts

Here is a cheap fix for the hi-level brake light. I did this over a year ago and it is still working.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-light-159261/

Old 05-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Received 38 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by StuG
Here is a cheap fix for the hi-level brake light. I did this over a year ago and it is still working.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-light-159261/
Woow....this is very helpful. I am going to do this :-)

Originally Posted by fmertz
I think there are 2 ways to do it. The easy way and the right way.

The easy way involves getting the tank empty of the old fluid with a syringe, then refill with new fluid, run the engine for a bit and then repeat a couple of times. The old fluid gets diluted, and you repeat the process until you are convinced it is diluted enough. Folks do 1 liter of new fluid, I believe. This is the home garage solution.

The right way involves disconnecting the return line and direct it to a container for disposal. Then, there is apparently a special funnel to put on the tank that you fill up with new fluid. Then you run the engine. The old fluid gets dumped into the container, and the new fluid is properly supplied from the special funnel without making a mess. Then you eventually stop the engine and put the return line back on the tank. This is the way shops do it.

Good luck, keep us posted.
The easy way seems like a better way to do it...thank you