XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might be buying a 2005 XK8

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM
Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Might be buying a 2005 XK8

I've been looking for a second car to share the miles I've been putting on my 2016 XF (LOVE that car!), and I found a 2005 XK8 nearby, under 40k on the clock, convertible, and the seller is looking for 12,500 for the car (test driving it later today). I'm not looking at spending a ton of money for a second car, or else I would be looking for a later model XKR

Since I'm not very familiar with the car, I did do some research, and from what I understand is that there could be issues with the hydrolic fluid for the top, and that I should avoid the 4.0 engine in favor of the 4.2.

Could anyone tell me of anything in particular I should look for when going over the car?

Also, I would feel much better having a mechanic look it over, but I've recently moved to my new home and my old mechanic is about 70 miles away (too far to ask the owner to drive there); does anyone know if a Jag dealership will go over the car, and if so, what can I expect to pay for that service.

Thanks!!!
Jon

Old 08-02-2017, 09:33 AM
Received 4,176 Likes on 3,639 Posts

Here is a link to what one of our fellow forum member put together as a primer on what to look for. Others will chime in as well.

While hydraulic issues do crop up, the repairs can be completed as a DIY repair.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...w-owner-99500/

The following users liked this post:
envincibal (08-02-2017)
Old 08-27-2017, 01:01 AM
Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

That's pretty low mileage for a 2005. I bought a poorly-maintained '05 XK8 last October with 83,000 miles, and I've now got nearly $12,500 in mine. So far, I have changed tires and front shocks ($1,600), oil, oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, battery, brake switch, plugs, cleaned the throttle body, had all wheels aligned, serviced the transmission twice (due to neglect from prior owner(s)), lubricated a few things, and have lost a few hours due to being stopped by a lot of nice people admiring the XK8 over the past 10,000 miles (ok, just kidding). Yes, these salons need a bit (sometimes a lot) of TLC, but the members on this forum will jump to your side to help you through the quirky things that will pop up (it's a Jag; expect it). If the pre-purchase inspection meets your expectations, you should have a relatively trouble-free car with nominal maintenance (and preventative maintenance), plus tons of unmitigated satisfaction from the pure pleasure of driving this amazing machine. My bodacious red-headed GF and I take 600 to 900+ mile weekend trips through some very remote areas as often as we can and have really only had a single hiccup with the ZF6 transmission one time (after running 3.5 hours in 113F degree temps), but a super local forum member helped me to clear the adaptation history and then flashed the computer and it's been butter-smooth ever since (the local Jag dealer wouldn't flash it; they would only offer to replace the trans for $7,800). I have purchased a few inexpensive things to keep in the spare tire well like radiator hoses, thermostat, water pump, fan belt, a quart container of antifreeze, a quart of oil, an air pump, a tire plugging kit, a digital tire pressure gauge, mechanic's gloves, and a few shop towels, all for just-in-case. My hoses, belts, and etc. all look to be in good condition, but everything fits comfortably in the wheel well so why not be prepared? So, go for it, I say, (the inspection and your intuition revealing no red flags); just stay away from a dealership as much as possible, and always keep in mind that this forum contains a treasure trove of wisdom, humor, and a myriad of detailed time/money saving how-to's for even the meekest of do-it-your-selfers, (and you will never be ridiculed by any of the mature members here, I might add). just my .02.

Last edited by Redline; 08-27-2017 at 01:25 AM.
Old 08-28-2017, 02:28 PM
Veteran Member
Received 364 Likes on 327 Posts

If there is no maint history assume it WILL need cash put into it. If you don't have cash to pay someone to work on it or you are not a do it yourself type of person, maybe find one that has a good maint history. LOW miles on these cars does not = less issues. These cars do not like sitting around and can have more issues then those that have 80k on it and are driven more regularly. May have less miles but the hoses are still old, the front suspension is a weak point on these cars, the parts are still old now. etc.
This car could be awesome, but have a weak battery that can throw various warning lights, issues with electrical parts that can scare the begeebe's out some. We see it here a lot through the years.

Old 08-28-2017, 03:32 PM
Received 107 Likes on 81 Posts

If the car is well maintained, with documentation to back it up, that sounds like a fair price to me.

Old 08-28-2017, 04:08 PM
Received 211 Likes on 119 Posts

For the right decision:

Go by the heart, informed by the head.

Old 08-28-2017, 06:28 PM
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

It's been a few weeks. Did you get it?

If you're not there yet, and are in mid to south Delaware, there are a couple of indies around here that will check it out.