XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Might want to check those staggered wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 04:50 PM
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Might want to check those staggered wheels

Well sure enough I'm about to change rear tires on my 05 XK8 (to 275/40/19's btw), and as I was sitting here thinking to myself "If somehow my staggered 19" atlas wheels were in the wrong spot would my tire guy spot it?"
The answer is probably (my tire guy is pretty good).
Of course this made me go out and measure them and guess what? Yep, the two years I have had the car, the passenger side got the 8 inch on the back and the 9 on the front somehow.
I am very picky. I have eyeballed these wheels ever since I learned they were staggered. My eyeball was wrong.
I doubt it's going to make much of a difference, as the p.o. cheaped out when out when they put tires on it the last time (245/40/19's all the way around),
but who knows? I'm thinking it may have a touch different steering dynamics with the right wheels together up front. Going to 275's rear may be more of a difference.
If anybody would like to know if it real world changed things I will update after tomorrow a.m..
Please if you have staggered wheels...measure them.
​​​​p.s. since prev. owner I'm the only one that has ever taken a wheel off and it was not me that did this! (I guess technically you could say I did though as I always put them back as they were, knowing fronts were 8" and the rears are 9")
Use a tape. By the way the wheel inches are from inside the lip to lip I assume, as the rears measure outside to outside almost 10" and 9" respectively from outside the lips.