XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible indie screwup ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:23 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Possible indie screwup ?

My '99 blew its serpentine belt a few weeks ago, so I had it towed to a local indie. ( not a Jag shop but well respected around town) I had the serp belt as well as the idler and tensioner pulleys replaced. 230 miles later, the belt disintegrates again, back to the shop it goes. This time they find that the pulley for the power steering pump is not spinning as smoothly as it should so they recommend replacing the pump. Made sense to me so I approved the part. I pick up the car on one of the hottest days ever and now the A/C does not work. Back the car goes and now I'm told the coolant pipe connection to the evaporator is leaking. Keep in mind that I have never had an issue with the AC unit, always blew cold. They recharged the unit, but that only lasted a day or so. My question is, while they were under the hood, could they have caused the issue ?? That's my take on the situation. any comments ??? Now I'm stuck with another issue to fix

Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Received 7,879 Likes on 4,763 Posts

Or the belt damaged the line when it became dislodged???

bob

Old 08-06-2017, 10:58 AM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I expect that the shop would have added a uv dye to the system. Just scan all the lines and connections with an ultra violet flashlight and you should be able to find the leak.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:05 PM

Walmart has a cheap kit with the yellow glasses.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/UV-Leak-D...ion%20&veh=sem

bob

Old 08-08-2017, 06:36 PM
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I found the issue. On the fire wall ( passengers side, U.S. car) I found the refridgerant lines (2 aluminum pipes) going into a "manifold" that is connected to something, I guess it is the inlet for the evaporator. Anyway, this manifold looks to be held in place with one hex head bolt. Both pipes are covered with a greasy fluid. My question is, are there "o" rings on the 2 pipes, if I remove this manifold? and if so , it looks like this is where the leak is. Can I replace the o- rings to correct the leak?

Old 08-08-2017, 06:56 PM

You need to recover the refrigerant (if there is any in the system) before removing the lines to replace the 'O'rings.

You will be VERY surprised when you remove the pipes if there is still pressure in the system!!!!!!!!!!

bob

Old 08-08-2017, 07:19 PM
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default leak

I believe the low side service port is located in the general area of the firewall
and passenger side. Clean the area gently with an alcohol based cleaner. then check again. You may have a leaking schrader valve at that service port.
simply removing the cap may provide a clue. If the port is oily and glows under the uv light then it may be a simple fix of replacing the schrader valve.
Still requires an evacuation of the system unless you find a tech that has a special tool that can do the job without losing any gas.
In any event make sure when the repairs have been made that the system passes a leak test. the evacuate the system and hold under -30 psi for an hour prior to recharging. Make sure when you charge the system to use virgin r134 gas and charge it accurately.
Good luck. hope you have cold air again soon

The following users liked this post:
dr.fixit (08-09-2017)