XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mina Gallery Shipping?

Old 06-12-2019, 05:02 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,336 Likes on 722 Posts
Default Mina Gallery Shipping?

Does Mina Gallery take a long time to ship? I bought their intake tube this past weekend and have only received the confirmed order, and the awaiting shipment emails. I decided to not buy the full intake kit because I don't like the idea of a cone filter sitting exposed to the hot engine. I think the stock airbox is a CAI vs the HAI the cone filter would be.

The Hemholtz resonators on my frankentube intake have broken and started throwing codes. I used duct tape to patch it up until the aluminum mina tube arrives.

Once I do get the aluminum tube, I wonder if it will still result in a loss of power compared to the stock plastic intake because aluminum is more likely to absorb the engine's heat and conduct it to the air? Maybe I should wrap the intake in some insulating material?

Last edited by giandanielxk8; 06-12-2019 at 05:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
User 070620 (06-17-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM
Received 92 Likes on 47 Posts

Took several weeks and a phone call to MG to get mine shipped. The guy on the phone was responsive and I did receive it
a few days later. Not sure what the problem was but in the end it worked out.

Old 06-12-2019, 06:45 PM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by funracer
Took several weeks and a phone call to MG to get mine shipped. The guy on the phone was responsive and I did receive it
a few days later. Not sure what the problem was but in the end it worked out.
Alright, guess I will call them at the first opportunity I get tomorrow. Most likely after my Orthodontics test.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:39 AM
Received 161 Likes on 133 Posts

I've purchased several products from Chris at Mina Gallery and found him to very responsive. I purchased the aluminum intake kit for my 2000 XK8 and did have a problem with lean mixtures on both banks. I wrote to Chris and he provided this reply:

The intake does make the car run more lean which results in a fuel trim correction of about 3-4%. You need a correction of about 17% for a code to register. So the intake on its own cannot trigger a code. However, if you currently have a pre-existing lean condition resulting in a 14-15% correction then the intake will take it over the threshold and a code will register.

I ended up putting the stock set up back on after some major $$$ engine work (don't ask), but plan to give the Mina setup a second try in the near future. Hope this information is helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Thorsen (06-07-2022)
Old 06-13-2019, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Received 537 Likes on 400 Posts

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
Does Mina Gallery take a long time to ship? I bought their intake tube this past weekend and have only received the confirmed order, and the awaiting shipment emails. I decided to not buy the full intake kit because I don't like the idea of a cone filter sitting exposed to the hot engine. I think the stock airbox is a CAI vs the HAI the cone filter would be.

The Hemholtz resonators on my frankentube intake have broken and started throwing codes. I used duct tape to patch it up until the aluminum mina tube arrives.

Once I do get the aluminum tube, I wonder if it will still result in a loss of power compared to the stock plastic intake because aluminum is more likely to absorb the engine's heat and conduct it to the air? Maybe I should wrap the intake in some insulating material?
I was wondering the same thing when I installed mine but the only thing I have experienced is much more responsiveness compared with the OEM tube. I didn't bother wrapping the Mina one since the looks are an improvement. Also kept the stock airbox/filter.

Doug

Old 06-13-2019, 09:55 PM
Veteran Member

I talked with Chris today over the phone. Great guy! I really got the sense that he enjoys talking about cars.

He did confirm that my package shipped yesterday and gave me the shipping number. He acknowledged that they seem to have missed sending an email with the tracking info.

We discussed the correct way to set up the breather hose for the new intake. I asked him if the aluminum intake would run hotter than the stock plastic intake tube. He said that, in testing, that effect never showed up. He then added that, if it were to happen, that effect would be more plausible in the NA cars, but is negligible in the supercharged cars because the coolant that flows through the intercoolers should cool the inlet air.

Old 06-13-2019, 11:23 PM

[QUOTE=giandanielxk8;2084695]

We discussed the correct way to set up the breather hose for the new intake.

And what would that be since there were no instructions included with mine.

Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 AM
Veteran Member

And what would that be since there were no instructions included with mine.

He said, to remove the old one, which on my 4.2 XKR, is connected at the front of the driver's side valve cover and snakes its way under the supercharger and to the throttle body side of the intake tube. Then, connect the new hose to the driver's side valve cover, run it across (on top) of the supercharger (near where the intercooler hoses are) and onto the intake tube. When it arrives and I have it installed I will take a picture of the set up as explained by him.

Tracking says my intake tube arrives on Monday.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by giandanielxk8
He said, to remove the old one, which on my 4.2 XKR, is connected at the front of the driver's side valve cover and snakes its way under the supercharger and to the throttle body side of the intake tube. Then, connect the new hose to the driver's side valve cover, run it across (on top) of the supercharger (near where the intercooler hoses are) and onto the intake tube. When it arrives and I have it installed I will take a picture of the set up as explained by him.

Tracking says my intake tube arrives on Monday.
That’s the way I did it. This pic is before I trimmed the rear elbow to lower the back end.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:15 AM
Veteran Member

When Chris installed mine, he thought it was best to keep the original hose since it would be easier to revert back to the original OEM in the future. I have pictures of my setup elsewhere. https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...-104595/page2/

Doug

Last edited by SeismicGuy; 06-14-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 09:21 PM
Veteran Member

Reverting back to OEM seems like a waste to me because I don't plan on ever selling this thing.

Old 06-15-2019, 12:13 AM
Veteran Member

But it is not that much of a big deal--hose passes around rear rather than front. Not planning either to put the old one back in but easily have the option just in case.

Doug

Old 06-15-2019, 06:21 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

OEM is indeed considerably inferior. Mina Gallery's kit permanently solves the unavoidable plastic accordion section cracking issue. After I installed it back in April, my OEM air duct went straight to the dumpster....

Old 06-15-2019, 09:51 AM
Veteran Member

Originally Posted by Jon89
OEM is indeed considerably inferior. Mina Gallery's kit permanently solves the unavoidable plastic accordion section cracking issue. After I installed it back in April, my OEM air duct went straight to the dumpster....
Mine has already been patched up and cut up at the accordion section. My current solution is very ugly, but it has worked for the past year or so. However, now the hemholtz resonators are breaking and I decided plastic welding isn't worth it. The link below show's my current intake setup, which is just awful to look at.

https://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/x...eative-205682/

Old 06-15-2019, 03:24 PM
Veteran Member

The intake arrived early and I installed it, but it was not as straightforward as I expected. I did, in fact, have to end up trimming a little of the included hoses so that the intake would fit. Nothing major, just a few millimeters.

I took it out for a drive and I am pleased with the results. Intake and supercharger noise increased, but it is pleasant. The car feels quicker to react to throttle inputs.

I did not anticipate what I found later when I opened the hood. There is some fouling of the intake with the hood liner. Some of it directly on the aluminum tube at its highest point, and some on the tube to 90º elbow that connects to the throttle body. I don't know if I should blame this on the intake or my slightly saggy hood liner.

Here are before and after shots

Before:

And After:

Old 06-16-2019, 12:03 AM

Yes this was exactly the problem with mine. Scuffing at the rear end of the metal intake. If you get down to eye level you can see it’s a solid inch above the rest of the motor. Had to trim both pieces of tubing front and rear to shorten and lower it.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:21 AM
Veteran Member

Yes this was exactly the problem with mine. Scuffing at the rear end of the metal intake. If you get down to eye level you can see it’s a solid inch above the rest of the motor. Had to trim both pieces of tubing front and rear to shorten and lower it.

Solved it this morning by trimming the piece that comes from the MAFs a bit more, allowing me to better angle the tube at a lower position. I went for a drive and there was no more scuffing.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the main thing here is to choose a delivery that will not damage your parcel

Old 10-14-2021, 01:02 PM
Received 161 Likes on 120 Posts

Does your fuel economy suffer? I did the Adamesh Stage 1 and 2 exhausts and my mpg has gone down a bit, just wanderin gif this will make it even worse because I have been looking at the intake as I don't like the OEM design.

Old 10-14-2021, 02:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 4,273 Likes on 2,810 Posts

Nope. Same as it ever was. I installed the Mina kit in April 2019 and really appreciate its permanence....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mina Gallery Shipping?