XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2018, 03:17 PM
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Mirrors

1997 XK8 Blue Convertible. (Fitted with switchable folding mirrors)

Has anyone tried modifying the wiring to allow door mirrors to retract automatically when switching off the ignition and vice versa.

A follow on from a previous successful post showing how to raise/lower rear windows.
Blue Nose

Old 03-07-2018, 11:36 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Blue Nose, you got me thinking, interesting idea. Wonder if the mechanism could withstand the additional cycles. 2 or 3 trips a day = 1,000 to 2,000 fold unfold cycles per year.

While you've got battery in the door wiring (door locks), you're gonna need an ignition trigger (ignition on/off) that is independent of anything else. Gotta laugh, imagine someone using auto headlights, they are ignition driven, then turning them off while driving and the mirrors fold in! (Couldn't resist Lord knows I've done dumber things in my day)

In all seriousness, guess you'd have to find a ignition on/off voltage source, maybe the cigarette lighter, use that as a trigger to a dual relay (one relay unfolds, the other folds) , run the wires to each motor. The more I think the less I like this idea.

What about tapping into the existing switch that controls them now. Benefit: you're not extending wires to each door.

Complicating factors : do the mirrors fold with ignition off right now? If so good news.

Do mirrors fold with a momentary tap of the existing switch or is there a time factor (hold for 3 seconds) involved?

Obviously I don't have this option so I don't know which switch folds / unfolds (1 switch or 2?) Does it send a ground pulse to body control module, or voltage (12 volts right?)?

If it's just a momentary soft switch you might be able to run a control wire to the existing switch and with relays or transistors let the ignition status signal the BPM to fold mirrors.

You're gonna need a delay circuit, we all cycle ignition on/off/on for various reasons sometimes. Maybe find an engine on off signal instead of ignition.

Lots of thoughts Blue Nose, hope it helps mate.

John

Last edited by Johnken; 03-07-2018 at 11:39 PM.
The following users liked this post:
blue nose (03-08-2018)