XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moderator - How long to get posts reviewed & approved?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 09:22 PM
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Moderator - How long to get posts reviewed & approved?

HI,

This morning I posted an update to my post but is yet to appear. How long before it will be reviewed & approved?

Thanks.

Andrew

Old 09-30-2018, 09:40 PM
Veteran Member
Received 1,808 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Andrew, I'm not a moderator, but wanted to share . I find the posts are live instantly.

don't forget to do a refresh.

OTOH I've seen times where I sure did think I posted something but it wasn't there when I later looked. I just wrote that off to user error and figured I got distracted before I pushed submit or something.

don't laugh but once or twice I found myself looking in the wrong place ( similar titles or something).

John

Old 09-30-2018, 10:23 PM

No love...I do not know why my posts need to be approved by a moderator. I tired a 2nd time, and got the same message: moderator must review & approve. SO, I thought perhaps it is the hyperlinks so I removed them.. Still get the moderator approve message. odd

Old 09-30-2018, 10:26 PM

Ok, this is my 5th attempt at a reply, as I tried early this morning.

laguillotine..I test drove my 1st C70 yesterday and it was nice. It was smooth, comfortable, and...just there..very, very nice. As I believed all along, i think the Volvo is the more "sensible" approach but....it just does not excite me. The XK8 does!

Shoreguy..I know what you are saying!

bcprice36..you made me laugh!! Kind of like my Detroit Lions..are they truly an NFL team? ha ha ha ha

As I have now driven an XK8 convertible and a Volvo C70 convertible, I am going to look for an XK8 I have been using AutoTrader and Cargurus for my searches, and as of this morning, I had the three listed below in mind. However, since my post did not appear, I have an update to my three choices. If you have thoughts, I am all ears.

1) A 2002 XK8 on Autotrader for $4,850 The owner is brief in the description but does state in the ad "...New tires and brakes plus over $2500,00 in recent engine upgrades." I emailed him and his reply was that the engine upgrades were "...Mostly seals and gaskets.... fluids and belts too......" The 2002 has a the 4.0 with 119,000 miles and can one of you tell me if seals & gaskets at that mileage is normal? Also, the interior has fabric on the steering wheel and center console which to me looks very nice, plus it appears to be a two-tone interior color. Was this an option in 2002? This is a private owner selling the car. UPDATE SINCE THE 1ST POST ATTEMPT THIS MORNING: I spoke to the owner today and the car has been driven just a thousand or so miles in the last two (2.5?) years they have owned it. It was his wife's dream car and he has about $9k into it, having traded an expensive wristwatch and cash for it. However, soon after buying it his wife was diagnosed with a medical condition that limits her exposure to some smells, etc..something like that, and the convertible exacerbates the issue. So, after sitting for a while, space is needed int he garage along with $ for medical needs. A lot of people have looked at it but they are lowballing him in the $2,700 - $3,000 range, and he states they are worth $7,000 - $9,000 so he thinks he has a fair price to let it go quickly, although it has not sold. The seals and gaskets were to get most of the leaks fixed but there are still two small oil leaks he thinks will not be difficult to fix. After, all, it is a 16 year old car, he said, so it will have some leaks. He is to send me the VIN tomorrow so I can get a Carfax report. My plan is to make an email offer contingent upon the following:
1) clean Carfax report
2) my in-person inspection and if I think it is as described and don't find anything wrong with it. I cannot get out there until about 20 October soooo..unless he wants to hold it because he likes my price, it may be gone by then.
3) it passes a pre-purchase inspection
It is difficult to buy when the vehicle is not in the local area so I will have some expenses incurred that may not pan out: a flight to Long Beach, couple nights hotel, a Carfax report, and the pre-purchase inspection. But, these cars do not appear to be int he Albuquerque-Cheyenne I-25 corridor, where I travel monthly. I also have not found any in the Phoenix area. I am not in a hurry but I like this price as it is definitely below the others. So, what is wrong with it? He says nothing, and he priced it low to sell fast but all he is getting is lowball offers. So, do those people know something I don't, or is there a chance this is truly a good deal? ha ha..buyer beware, right? I wish it was local or I knew someone in the area to give me a initial impression.

2) A 2004 on AutoTrader for $7,200 although the owner did not reply to my inquiry I made 3 weeks ago: The ad is very descriptive but without a reply I am unsure f it is still available. This has the 4.2 and is for sale by a private owner UPDATE SINCE THE 1ST POST ATTEMPT THIS MORNING: car sold for $7,000

3) A 2006 for $7,900 : 2006 XK8 $7,900 with the 4.2 at a small dealership (not a major manufacturer) UPDATE SINCE THE 1ST POST ATTEMPT THIS MORNING: I was able to expand the photos and did not like the look of the driver's seat. My wife and I both think it sat outside with the top down this now off the consideration list.

Old 09-30-2018, 10:27 PM

I have now tried FIVE times to post..I do not know why a moderator is needed! Frustrating, as I want to make an offer on an XK8 but want some thoughts and comments from current owners. grrrrr

Old 10-01-2018, 01:43 AM
Veteran Member
Received 4,488 Likes on 3,905 Posts

A new / low post count user posting links is often a spammer. That's likely why you got the message.

At a guess someone will remove the flag eventually but it's a volunteer effort so may be some time.

Old 10-01-2018, 02:28 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Originally Posted by pvxkowner
I have now tried FIVE times to post..I do not know why a moderator is needed! Frustrating, as I want to make an offer on an XK8 but want some thoughts and comments from current owners. grrrrr
You're frustrated - I'm ANNOYED. Do NOT multiple post and then open another thread on the same topic.

Your original post included embedded YouTube videos and that is why is was locked for moderation. I've solved the problem by deleting it and the numerous duplicated posts in the same thread.

Graham

The following users liked this post:
Redline (10-01-2018)
Old 10-01-2018, 08:51 AM

Graham, Thank you for the help.
Here is some clarification:
  1. They were not Youtube videos but three links to three different AutoTrader ads for three different XK8s I was considering and wanted opinions from the friendly folks on this forum. UPDATE: There WAS one YouTube video...of a guy named John in England who put a custom exhaust on his 1997 XK8 and I wanted to share that as part of my reply.
  2. I only tried posting once, in the morning, and that post sat untouched for over 11 hours without any action.
  3. So, I posted a question asking how long to get reviewed by a moderator.AHAH! A successful post without moderation
  4. I received a reply stating it might be operator error so I tried posting a 2nd time.but I got the same result: moderation needed. grrr
  5. I went back to my post where I asked the review & approve question and successfully posted a reply stating I got the same moderation needed error on the original post
  6. I thought that perhaps the links were the cause so I deleted the links and posted it a 3rd time....nope, no luck, still will not workl! Moderation needed...grrrr
  7. I am thinking I did something wrong on the original post and an issue is now with the original post, kind of like when a computer's cache cause issues and needs to be cleared when trying to open a web page. So, I tried a brand new post, which now is the 4th attempt, and .....same issue!! Moderation needed... grrr....
  8. I thought ...one final attempt.....I am able to successfully type replies to the post where I asked the question about review & approval so let me try putting my questions on the three Jags in that post. So, this is the 5th attempt but nope!..Moderation needed...grrrrr
At that point I finally found the contact link on the bottom of this page. I had looked previously and missed it..probably because I was frustrated and not looking closely.
Graham, again, thank you for the help. I will now try once again.

Andrew

Last edited by pvxkowner; 10-01-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:50 AM
GGG
Received 16,825 Likes on 12,179 Posts

Andrew,

Links, especially to advertisements, are likely to fall foul of the automated validation processes and be sidelined for moderation. This is what happened with your original post and caused the subsequent knock-on effect with the others.

Contacting a moderator is best done pro-actively by sending a forum PM. A post or thread locked for moderation depends on one of us spotting it and then taking appropriate action. Naturally this can take some time as unpaid volunteer moderators aren't glued to their screens 24/7.

Graham