XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED

Back again guys. Hoping someone with experience can point me in the right direction. Long story short, bought my 2004 XK8 with the Driver Airbag light on. I need to troubleshoot it, and plan to work on it this weekend. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction quickly. It was full on-- but since I bought it and mess with the seat settings, it has become intermittant. Only on about 1/2 the time now. So, it SEEMS, it may be related with the seat? It gives a 2-2 flash code when it acts up. I can also tell your the clock-spring cassette was replaced with a brand new unit. I was told the seat module was also replaced. Can anyone direct me to particular harnesses to check or switches? I am thinking this is my problem because a failed sensor would probably stay full on. Thanks again! MC

Last edited by steveinfrance; 08-27-2012 at 08:33 AM. Reason: Problem solved
Old 02-17-2012, 06:37 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianguy63
Back again guys. Hoping someone with experience can point me in the right direction. Long story short, bought my 2004 XK8 with the Driver Airbag light on. I need to troubleshoot it, and plan to work on it this weekend. Hoping someone can point me in the right direction quickly. It was full on-- but since I bought it and mess with the seat settings, it has become intermittant. Only on about 1/2 the time now. So, it SEEMS, it may be related with the seat? It gives a 2-2 flash code when it acts up. I can also tell your the clock-spring cassette was replaced with a brand new unit. I was told the seat module was also replaced. Can anyone direct me to particular harnesses to check or switches? I am thinking this is my problem because a failed sensor would probably stay full on. Thanks again! MC
It's intermittent since you moved the seat right back? Start with the driver' seat track position sensor:

XK8 2004 - SRS.pdf

Item 8 on page 1

Graham

The following 4 users liked this post by GGG:
Don B (09-17-2018), Italianguy63 (02-17-2012), JimC64 (02-17-2012), ryejag (08-27-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 12:30 PM

I "looked" at this. Must I assume you have to pull the seat??

Old 02-18-2012, 01:23 PM
GGG
Received 16,766 Likes on 12,154 Posts

Originally Posted by Italianguy63
I "looked" at this. Must I assume you have to pull the seat??
Yes.

1. Track the seat back and remove the cover by pulling upwards at the front:

My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED-08-passenger-seat-side-rail-removed.jpg

2. Remove the front two hex screws
3. power the seat forwards sufficiently to see the rear hex screws
4. disconnect the battery and wait at least one minute for the reserve current in the airbag system to dissipate
5. remove rear two hex screws
6. tilt the seat backwards to disconnect the seat module plug

My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED-14-passenger-seat-module.jpg

It's secured by two hex nuts.

In my coupe the seat can be tilted backwards. You don't have this problem with no roof!

Graham

Old 02-18-2012, 01:52 PM

Thanks again... I will get to it. So far today, I replaced the dash bulbs, fixed the sunvisors, and have the entire center console and rear seat out (working on SAT radio install). Looks like rain...

MC

Old 02-18-2012, 07:24 PM
Veteran member
Received 1,144 Likes on 750 Posts

If that doesnt fix it, there"s another connector inside the seat back you should 'exercise', you"ll have to peel back the seat leather to get to it...best done with the seat out of the car. Most of these intermittent airbag faults are due to poor connector pairings.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:22 AM

That's what I figured. Got a can of CRC contact cleaner, and I will go to town on them once I get to pulling the seat. Fixing lot's of odd bits as I pull things apart. Finally finished the trunk-- all he panels were mis-fit, and the CD wouldn't read discs. So, I just got done taking all that apart and cleaning it inside (works again!). Getting ready to put the rear seats back in. Driver door panel isn't installed right either-- have to fix that too. Ordering some odd parts to make it "mine." Going to put clear repeaters on it, and get rid of the yellow bulbs with chrome bulbs all around. Going to tint the windows too. Should be sharp when I get everything back in order. I am really disappointed with the Seller's mechanic. Seems they messed up more things than they fixed, and returned the car to me dirty.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

sounds like you've got the means and the tools needed to do most of the DIY jobs, nice. I bought one of those orange 'mechanic' seat covers for my front seat that i slipon when i leave it with a tire shop or any mechanic. The dove grey interior gets dirty so very easily, and last time someone got in/out of the car, they had something in their back pocket (screwdriver maybe) and it scratched my bolster on the brand new leather seats.

Old 02-19-2012, 02:31 PM

Thanks for the help and encouragement! Looks like I may have the airbag light licked. Took the seat out, cleaned ALL the contacts. I looked at the hall-effect sensor (which was my suspect), and the blade runs through the middle of the assembly. I figured maybe it just wasn't quite reading well enough, so I bent the assembly so the blade was just a little closer to the sensor. (I assumed maybe it got bent out by the PO's mechanic). Slammed all the contacts back together and reassembled. Everything seems good so far!! Been scrubbing the grease off all the interior. Yes, it DOES get dirty easily. It's all back together now except for the center console. Found out I need a 5V hard-wired adapter for the Sirius Starmate 8 I got. Ordered on eBay, and I should be able to finish up the install in a few days. It took several hours to run the antenna wire from the boot lid... MC

Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM

T plus 4 days and no hiccups. Looking good. Now, if I could only fix a similar problem on my Chrysler 300... been messing with it for months with no resolution.

Old 02-25-2012, 11:58 PM
Veteran member

fantastic, good job! Now stop looking down every time you start you car looking for the blinking light.

Old 02-26-2012, 05:11 AM

Yeppers! All done with that issue. Now I have moved on to others... Small stuff, I enjoy working through the little problems actually. I will probalby post some pictures later today of my progress.

Old 02-27-2012, 12:10 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I just took my 2003 XKR in for this same airbag problem. Lite on and blinks a 22 code. The car was under warranty so I will let the Jaguar dealer fix it this time. I think it is the hall effect sensor. I will post on it when I get the results. Just drove the car from Raleigh, NC to Hartford, CT. The car ran like a charm and just turned 50Kmiles. The average gas milage was around 29mph. What a suprise for a 400hp car.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 PM
Default air bag lite on blink code 2-2

I have the same problem on my 2003 XKR convertible. The car is in the shop now and the problem is covered under my warranty. My service adviser called and said the side air bag module was bad. He indicated that the replacement side airbag modules cost was around $1,200 plus labor. I am not sure what can go wrong with the airbag module. I was thinking it was a loose connector and it may well be, but because it is covered under my warranty plan I will go with his apprasel.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:16 PM

Let me tell you a story! My car was on a lot for over a month with the 2-2 airbag problem. They were NOT a Jaguar dealer, but dealt in Jags, Benz, B&W, etc.. Familiar but not experts with the Jag.

Anyway-- they started out by replacing the seat module, as someone told them that was the common problem. Did not fix it.

So, they drove the car to the Dealer about 50 miles away. Made an appointment, put the coins in the slot, yada yada yada... Jag mechanic told them it was either the side airbag module (what you just got told), if not that, the clockspring, or on a minor chance-- "something else" on the Driver's side (i.e. airbag or bad connection or wire somewhere).

They brought it back, and ordered a side module.. took the car apart-- guess what! No such module in the 2004 XK8.

They then ordered a clockspring, and put it in. Still a 2-2 fault.

Anyway-- a month later... about $800 in parts and both them and I are very irritated.

I bought the car "as is" anyway.. driving home, my big butt made the light go out. Problem is the hall effect sensor under the seat.

Stay tuned, and let us know how yours turns out!

Mark.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:32 PM
Veteran member

Did you pull the seat back cover up as far as it would go and 'work' the connector thats in the frame? The one under the seat and in the frame, both can be a source for an intermittent fault...but the one IN the seat may also be reason you witness it with different size (weight) drivers. Also, you can try and clean out the seat belt latch mechanism with some electronics cleaner, its been known to throw the same fault (and how very easy it is to spill a drink into that seat belt latch too!)

Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 AM

Hey Matt--

Can you offer any more info? My fault is trying to creep back. I did take the seat out and clean all the contacts I could find. And, it is definetly in the seat. If I sit down in the seat hard (and to the back), the light doesn't show up. I am thinking it is the hall effect sensor out of alignment. Can you offer more information on this connection though? I cleaned everything I could find. I didn't see any wires going to the seat back. Is this for the lumbar or headrest maybe? Tell me what to look for if I have to pull the seat again.

MC

Old 03-01-2012, 09:37 AM
Default airbag code 2-2

Hi guys

Just a little more info on my airbag problem. Acording to the last owner, he never had this problem with the car. The first time it happened is when I took the car out for a test drive. I am 5' 9" and weigh around 200lbs. The seller is about 6' and around 180lbs. Before I took the car out for the test drive, I had to adjust the seat a little foreward. I believe the seller about this as the car would not have passed it's last inspection if it had this problem. Apparently the driver seat had not been moved for the last two years, until I moved it. If the car was not covered by contract I would have tried to fix it my self and believe the problem is in the hall effect switch or a loose connection. My Jag dealers service department is very good, but they seem to overstate problems sometime. I will know more next week and post the results. We are currently waiting for the warranty to be transfered to me, before work can proceed. I have this problem and several others that should be repaired under the warranty i.e. both head rest assemblies,side quarter window assy,ball joints,rear shocks.
wcnesta

Old 03-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Veteran member

The connector I'm speaking about is about 3/4 of the way up the seat you'll have to over some padding aside to get to it, just follow the wiring to where the side airbg would deploy. The seat removable will be second nature after this one.

Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM
Veteran member

The connector I'm speaking about is about 3/4 of the way up the seat you'll have to over some padding aside to get to it, just follow the wiring to where the side airbg would deploy. The seat removable will be second nature after this one.

Quick Reply: My Airbag Fault - RESOLVED