XK8 / XKR ( X100 ) 1996 - 2006

My car is starting to tire me.. (New symptom)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM
Received 57 Likes on 42 Posts
Default My car is starting to tire me.. (New symptom)

Weather temps in my garage has been in the 40's the past few days.

As I first start my car, I hear what sounds like a chainsaw emanating from the front / left of engine area. I'm unable to isolate the sound and am hoping someone here has experienced this (yet another) issue with their cars?

After about 5 minutes of warmup, the car purrs like a kitten and the sound is gone.... never to return until next morning.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:11 PM
Veteran Member
Received 665 Likes on 573 Posts

Could be the chain tensioners if you haven't already had them changed..

Old 02-16-2017, 12:26 PM
Veteran Member
Received 775 Likes on 466 Posts

Might be a pulley, alternator, etc. Remove the belt and see if the noise goes away. Quite often it's the idler pulley. Check it out as soon as possible. On my wifes 98xj8 it was making a noise similar to yours. One day while my was driving it came apart and threw the belt. She lost power steering plus error messages. I had to have the car towed to my shop because it would of overheated by driving.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by BobRoy
Might be a pulley, alternator, etc. Remove the belt and see if the noise goes away. Quite often it's the idler pulley. Check it out as soon as possible. On my wifes 98xj8 it was making a noise similar to yours. One day while my was driving it came apart and threw the belt. She lost power steering plus error messages. I had to have the car towed to my shop because it would of overheated by driving.
I was thinking along those lines as well.

HOWEVER, I think there's a connection to my recent oil change. I went to a different shop for the oil and filter and have no idea what synthetic oil they put in or what filter they used.
I remember once reading about someone using a Fram filter and the car made this type of noise until oil pressure built up.
I just picked up 7 qts of Mobil 1, and a Wix filter with check valve. Doing the change in about an hour and will update tomorrow morning when the car is cold.

If the sound is there, I'll check the idler pulley

Old 02-16-2017, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by jimbov8
Could be the chain tensioners if you haven't already had them changed..
The chain tensioners were done by Jaguar a number of years ago.
It does sound like the chain rubbing along the metal tensioner. However, once warm, it's gone.
I would think the sound would always be there if the there was a problem.

ALSO, found this little comment from another thread a few years ago....

[quote]
I have what sounds like a possible tensioner noise.
In that case check your tensioners as the others advise.
There is also a known problem with non-OEM oil filters that don't have a non-return valve in them causing this noise - but that won't blow up your engine like a chain jumping.

Last edited by Anthony8858; 02-16-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:59 PM
Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

hope you figure it out.. that is pretty loud :/ the timing of the oil change scares me too...

Old 02-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Received 2,405 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Originally Posted by BobRoy
+1
My reasoning is that the noise gets much louder as you come to the front of the motor, which I wouldn't expect if it was coming from under the cam cover.
Takes seconds to drop the serpentine...

Just my

Mike

Old 02-16-2017, 03:38 PM
Veteran Member
Received 324 Likes on 276 Posts

Pull the left cam cover and look at the tensioner, that is probably it.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:00 PM
Gus
Veteran Member
Received 2,215 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Purchase an automotive stethoscope and use it to pinpoint the noise. When using it use caution not to put it in the way of the of any moving parts. It should point you in the right direction.

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 02-16-2017, 04:04 PM
Veteran Member

Anthony I would do the belt first. It doesn't cost a dime and it only takes a couple of minutes. After you get it off spin each pulley and feel for play or not spinning freely. If it was due to the oil change and it makes that noise for 5 minutes I would be concerned about damage to the engine.

My pulley made the noise for a few minutes at first start up and went away just like yours. Proceed as you wish but when I dianose a problem I like starting with the easiest and least expensive.

Best of luck.

The following users liked this post:
Datsports (02-17-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 05:07 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

Stethoscope at Walmart for $6.00

Link. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Mechanic-s-Stethoscope/121443902?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=550&ad id=22222222228040397108&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=99308 566594&wl4=pla-232408080034&wl5=1018668&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl 10=112354493&wl11=online&wl12=121443902&wl13=&veh= sem

Old 02-16-2017, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
Stethoscope at Walmart for $6.00

Link. https://www.walmart.com/ip/ABN-Mecha...&wl13=&veh=sem
I changed oil and filter and will now wait until tomorrow.

If the problem is still there, I'll go get the stethoscope and see if i could pinpoint a source.
Honestly feeling very discouraged right now. Everything about this car is perfect, but I don't have the head or the time to start troubleshooting, or rely on a mechanic to pinpoint this without taking me for a ride.
Hopefully it's not internal.

The following users liked this post:
BobRoy (02-16-2017)
Old 02-16-2017, 07:26 PM
Veteran Member

Don't be discouraged. I listened to your video again and I'm fairly certain it's the idler pulley. It's an easy fix. It took me less than 10 minutes to repair the idler on my wifes car. If your not certain how to remove the belt or are worried about getting the belt back on I can post pics if needed. I have a motor on my shop floor to demostrate.

EDIT: To clarify it's called the belt tensioner idler pulley

Last edited by BobRoy; 02-16-2017 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-16-2017, 09:07 PM
Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts

Sure sounds like a chain rattling to me. I had to do mine right after I bought my '97. I did it myself and that was 8 years ago....it's never made a sound like that. I also had a '91 Corvette ZR-1 at the time and was very familiar with failing cam chain tensioners and the sound of the chain moving back and forth. You also have the VVT solenoid up there. Check to see if it clicking in and out when the car is warm. Just a tap on the throttle will tell you. Your noise doesn't sound like a bad bearing from a pulley or any driven component, though. A stethoscope will help pin it down, but you can also use a long-handled screwdriver or even a short broomstick with your thumb over the end, and then into your ear. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2017, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by oldjaglover
Sure sounds like a chain rattling to me. I had to do mine right after I bought my '97. I did it myself and that was 8 years ago....it's never made a sound like that. I also had a '91 Corvette ZR-1 at the time and was very familiar with failing cam chain tensioners and the sound of the chain moving back and forth. You also have the VVT solenoid up there. Check to see if it clicking in and out when the car is warm. Just a tap on the throttle will tell you. Your noise doesn't sound like a bad bearing from a pulley or any driven component, though. A stethoscope will help pin it down, but you can also use a long-handled screwdriver or even a short broomstick with your thumb over the end, and then into your ear. Good luck.
Would a failing chain tensioner disappear for the entire day until an overnight cool down?

Old 02-16-2017, 09:46 PM
Gus
Veteran Member

What you are saying sounds like a VVT. What viscosity oil was in it and what did you put in it?

Gus
www.jagrepair.com

Old 02-16-2017, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gus
What you are saying sounds like a VVT. What viscosity oil was in it and what did you put in it?

Gus
JagRepair.com - Jaguar Repair Information Resource
The previous oil change was done a few weeks ago at a local repair shop. He used a NAPA filter and Penzoil 5/30 synthetic

Today, I changed oil and filter. I used 5/30 Amzoil XL and a WIX filter. I was never comfortable with that prior oil change and didn't mind changing it regardless.

Based on Google and this forum, it sounds like a pulley problem, or my tensioners are beginning to malfunction. Seems like a rattling chain noise is a common symptom of failing chain tensioners.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 AM
Veteran Member
Received 597 Likes on 473 Posts

as mentioned above just remove the belt and ether start it for a few seconds or just spin every thing by hand .it will at least narrow it down , your going about this the hard way .

Old 02-17-2017, 04:01 AM
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

hi,

had a similar noise recently, disapeared after 1-2 min of engine idleling. turned out it was the corrugated egr pipe, located right rear in the compartment, beetween enginge and gearbox.

the pipe had a little fissure wich closed on its own while warming up.

you should be able to determine the failure by pulling and pushing the pipe by hand while the engine running, be aware of heater temperature.

if the sound changes during that procedure youv´e got the culprit.

fritz

Old 02-17-2017, 04:11 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE=Anthony8858;1622319]The chain tensioners were done by Jaguar a number of years ago.
It does sound like the chain rubbing along the metal tensioner. However, once warm, it's gone.
I would think the sound would always be there if the there was a problem.

ALSO, found this little comment from another thread a few years ago....

I have what sounds like a possible tensioner noise.
In that case check your tensioners as the others advise.
There is also a known problem with non-OEM oil filters that don't have a non-return valve in them causing this noise - but that won't blow up your engine like a chain jumping.

Sounds like the lower timing chain slapping against the guide. When my brother had it his did the same thing. Unfortunately the guy who helped him do it didn't lock the other came down and ended up moving the cam lobe on the driver side intake and it sounded awful. He had no compression and they supposedly put it back on time but the car was still not running right. The motor was replaced with a used one with 62k miles. I believe it was out of an 03? It runs great now but I am still fixing gremlins here and there. The restricted performance wasn't due to the intake itself leaking or the gasket on the throttle body it was the pcv valve. The hose from the throttle body that connects to the crank case was just stuck in the hole with the connector broke off. Some electrical tape is keeping it running good for now and the engine light ceases to come on just the p1000 code and I've driven it about 2k miles. Sorry for getting side tracked but when I removed my valve covers to do the gaskets I noticed the chain that goes around the vvt is that's what it's called? Anyway the small chain is loose the top tensioner isn't pushing out and making it tight enough at least for me. Once the car warms up though these are hydraulic I believe and they push back out to apply tension but this tears up the guides. I remember his were trashed and he bought the car for 8 grand and with 90k miles and NO maintenance records at all it wasn't the brightest idea. I inherited it from him so I'm keeping it in his honor and fixing it up. I think your chains are probably OK. Just check the cam gear teeth for wear and the chain as well replace it if you have to and make sure you do one side at a time and lock those cams down!

I've put about 9k miles on the jag and other than the suspension issues and the coolant leaks it's been a fun car. Parts are just too expensive. That timing chain kit I believe is available on eBay for 800 900 bucks plus you have to buy the tool to lock the cams down I would recommend getting 2.